latest stable versions: v150827 (changelog)

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

bbPress v2.2+

Home Forums Community Forum bbPress v2.2+

Tagged: 

This topic contains 22 replies, has 5 voices. Last updated by  Jason (Lead Developer) 4 years ago.

Topic Author Topic
Posted: Monday Nov 19th, 2012 at 7:40 pm #32032
RossGrant
Username: RossGrant

Hi guys,

Just to put a warning out, if you use BBpress, DO NOT UPGRADE TO VERSION 2.2!

I have on my staging site and it does not play nicely with any membership plugins that assign roles that are away from WP Core roles.

There is some discussion here:

http://bbpress.org/forums/topic/bbpress-2-2-1/#post-120205

No idea why they are going this way but BBPress is now assigning dynamic roles to users.

Have no idea how it does this, but it means that if you are a subscriber (s2 level 0) you shouldn’t have issues (althougha couple of my level 0 test accounts do.)

If you are using levels 1 to 4, you’ll probably even get a 404 error when accessing your forums directory page and beyond.

I’ve asked JJ how BBPress is now doing this and how we can get it to play nicely with S2, but for now don’t upgrade.

You can now assign a ‘forum’ role under settings—>forums for NEW signups which would enable you to give each member a forum role of something like ‘Participant’ which will work alongside their S2 role, but I’m not sure you can do this to all EXISTING members.

It’s a bit bizarre, and like I say, even a couple of my level 0 accounts can’t post replies, although some can.

I just don’t quite get it so will wait on more info!

• This topic was modified 3 years, 11 months ago by  Jason (Lead Developer). Reason: Editing subject line, it was a bit disturbing to others. s2Member® is now compatible with bbPress v2.2+

List Of Topic Replies

Viewing 22 replies - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
Author Replies
Author Replies
Posted: Monday Nov 19th, 2012 at 8:13 pm #32033
Marcus Fahr
Username: DarkLevi

Same problem here, but User Role Manager is the Solution. Just assign the bbpress caps to your Membership roles and done :)

Posted: Monday Nov 19th, 2012 at 8:19 pm #32034
RossGrant

Nice one Marcus, that’s nice to know.

I haven’t upgraded on my production site, just on my staging site.

I’m going to leave ita few days and see what happens with any revisions.

The new dynamic system seems crazy really.

Hopefully they will sort out BBPress at the core.

Will check that plugin out now though, thanks!

Posted: Monday Nov 19th, 2012 at 8:39 pm #32036
RossGrant

Marcus, do you have a link to the specific role manager plugin? I have come across a few. Cheers :)

Posted: Monday Nov 19th, 2012 at 9:30 pm #32037
Marcus Fahr

No big Deal

Here it is: http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/user-role-editor/

just by the way: don’t forget the spectate cap like i did in the first try =D

• This reply was modified 4 years, 1 month ago by  Marcus Fahr.
Posted: Monday Nov 19th, 2012 at 9:56 pm #32040
RossGrant

What’s really bizarre is, I have installed this plugin and examined user capabilities in both the plugin menu and directly in the DB looking at the capability entry string.

The free user that can’t currently post, has the EXACT same capabilities as those free users who CAN post.

There are no differences, and yet this one user account that can’t post seems to be able to write a reply and submit it, the slug in the URL adapts as it should and increases the post number in the slug by one, but it then doesn’t show the post, and it doesn’t appear front or backend.

SO BIZARRE!

If I change their ‘Forum Role’ in the drop down at the bottom of their edit profile dashboard screen, then they CAN post normally.

I shouldn’t have to do this though.

Anyone have any kind of clue what else it could be?

Posted: Monday Nov 19th, 2012 at 10:08 pm #32041
Marcus Fahr

This works for me:

Subscriber (read-only):

s2Member Level 1 and above (can post threads, replys and so on):

by the way with this plugin you can assign caps to both, specific users and roles, so have a look in your dashboard-memberslist an click on rights by the specifik user who can write and look what plugin is saying bout user-specific-caps

Posted: Monday Nov 19th, 2012 at 10:10 pm #32042
RossGrant

Cheers Marcus!

I’m going to try that!

I think I have found out why the user who can’t post is having problems.

For some reason EVERY post they try to make is going straight to spam in BBPress.

I can’t find any way to take this user off a spam list?

I don’t know if they have been flagged by accident, but do you know if there are any options for this somewhere?

Posted: Monday Nov 19th, 2012 at 10:18 pm #32045
Marcus Fahr

o.O that is pretty crazy

i take a look at this, maybe i can reproduce this bug/error/crazy-thing =D

Posted: Monday Nov 19th, 2012 at 10:20 pm #32046
RossGrant

It looks like it was Akismet.

I deactivated it and it allowed the user to post.

Upon reactivation they can now post too, so perhaps the roles had played a bit with Akismet, or Akismet’s servers were just going a bit crazy!

It’s all just odd though! Hopefully we’ll get some BBPress2.2 docs soon to work with!

Let me know if you can reproduce anything!

Thanks again :)

Posted: Monday Nov 19th, 2012 at 10:41 pm #32047
Marcus Fahr

no i can’t reproduce this, but i’m don’t using askimet =)

but i found another strange thing, if i mark somebody as spammer within buddypress i cannot revoke this :D

Posted: Tuesday Nov 20th, 2012 at 2:38 pm #32123

I whipped up a little plugin to help with fixing this folks -> https://gist.github.com/4120493

Make sure you read the comments at the top of the file for instructions.

Posted: Tuesday Nov 20th, 2012 at 4:45 pm #32144

The gist I posted has been updated. No need to visit Tools->Forums now. With the plugin I posted active, existing users with s2member roles and future users with s2member roles will have the default bbPress role added when they are logged in.

s2member devs, feel free to incorporate the code in a future version of s2member to handle the new bbPress roles.

Posted: Tuesday Nov 20th, 2012 at 8:52 pm #32179

There’s a fix for this that will be added in bbPress 2.2.1 http://bbpress.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/2042

Posted: Wednesday Nov 21st, 2012 at 8:12 am #32233

Kudos guys! You rock. Ross, thanks for the heads up. Marcus, thanks for the tip. Darren, thanks for the hack! I’m notifying Jason about this.

I’ve given all of you the “Helpful” badge. :)

Posted: Sunday Nov 25th, 2012 at 5:11 am #32523
Staff Member

Thanks for the heads up on this thread.

We’ve had the development copy of s2Member updated to support dynamic roles introduced in bbPress v2.2. The next maintenance release will include this udpate for all of you. Here is a screenshot from the coming maintenance release. Please click to enlarge.

Posted: Sunday Nov 25th, 2012 at 5:17 am #32524
Staff Member
Please note that changes applied via the User Role Editor will have little to no impact on the new dynamic Roles introduced in bbPress 2.2. These roles are not stored in the database, they are added dynamically at runtime. So while they may appear in your list of Roles using that plugin, modifying these Roles would only lead to some mild database corruption in my experimentation.

The coming maintenance release of s2Member will apply permissions to dynamic roles at runtime for you. Not exactly the same, but much like the patch submitted by Darren Ethier in this thread, in a previous post above.

Posted: Wednesday Dec 5th, 2012 at 2:56 pm #33601
Staff Member
s2Member v121201+ has been tested against bbPress v2.2.
See: http://www.s2member.com/changelog/#s2-changes-v121201
Posted: Tuesday Dec 11th, 2012 at 10:10 am #34261
RossGrant

@jason Hey Jason!

I just upgraded to the new BB Press update put out a few hours ago and I think upgrading breaks the links between s2 and BB press initially.

All my forum members were labelled as the dynamic ‘Member’ role that is assigned by BB Press.

In order to get them back to the ‘Participant’ level that I have set by default, i needed to update the roles by hitting the button in the S2 ‘Other Integrations’ menu.

Is this something we’ll just have to remember each time we upgrade BB Press.

No big deal, just wanted to let other folk know!

:)

Posted: Wednesday Dec 12th, 2012 at 8:53 am #34350
Staff Member

Thanks for the follow-up Ross.

That’s interesting to me. s2Member runs that routine (for Role configuration) automatically upon reactivation of the plugin update of s2Member itself. So when you say that clicking that button to reconfigure Roles fixed you up, it interests me. I’ve just taken a closer look, but I’ve been unable to reproduce this yet.

You mentioned earlier that you had installed the User Role Editor plugin and attempted to manipulate those bbPress roles? If so, this could be the underlying issue on your installation. I mentioned in an earlier post that attempting to edit “dynamic” Roles created by the bbPress plugin can actually cause some minor database corruption in my experimentation, because those Roles are not supposed to exist in the database. When you attempt to edit these “dynamic” Roles with the User Role Editor plugin, that’s exactly what can happen. That’s one reason why I don’t care for the approach that bbPress took in using dynamic Roles. It creates some confusion for site owners. Those dynamic Roles don’t actually exist in the database, they only exist at runtime.

s2Member’s role configuration button that you clicked on, only deals with the recreation of s2Member roles, and it modifies existing WordPress roles in subtle ways to achieve compatibility with s2Member. It does not reset your entire WordPress role configuration (i.e. the default roles shipped with WordPress), nor does it reset dynamic Roles introduced by bbPress. I suspect that you have had some mild database corruption that somehow worked itself out maybe. I suppose it’s possible that WordPress achieved this in response to calls made by s2Member to update other Roles (i.e. s2Member’s own Roles).

If you’d like to truly reset Roles on your site, this plugin comes with a feature that accomplishes that for you.

Capability Manager Enhanced:
http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/capability-manager-enhanced/

After resetting your Roles back to the defaults, you will need to re-install bbPress.

Then, please go to:
Dashboard -› s2Member® -› General Options -› Membership Levels/Labels
Click the button at the bottom of that section to reinstall your s2Member roles as well.

NOTE: Always a good idea to backup your database and file system first :-)

Posted: Wednesday Dec 12th, 2012 at 8:59 am #34354
RossGrant

Hey Jason!

Just to be clear, the link between S2 Member and BB Press only changed when I upgraded BB Press.

S2 was already installed and up to date, so it ws only BB Press that was altered in the update process.

Reading the following from the S2 options for other integrations:

If bbPress® was already installed when you activated s2Member, your s2Member Roles/Capabilities are already configured to work in harmony with bbPress®. If you didn’t, you can simply click the “Update Roles/Capabilities” button here. That’s all it takes. Once your Roles/Capbilities are updated, s2Member and bbPress® are fully integrated with each other.

So the scenario of upgrading BBPress when S2 IS already active might not run that routine to link the roles?

I’m guessing that on each S2 upgrade that routine is automated, but when BB Press is updated and reactivated we may have to push that button to run the routine?

It’s happened on 2 installs now.

All works just fine, but has resulted in the same scenario each time.

Let me know what you think.

Posted: Wednesday Dec 12th, 2012 at 9:01 am #34355
RossGrant

Oh by the way, I HAD installed the user role plugin, but DIDN’T allow it to change anything. I just installed it to look at what permissions each role had assigned, so as far as I am aware the DB should be corruption free fingers crossed.

Posted: Thursday Dec 13th, 2012 at 11:36 pm #34512
Staff Member

Thanks Ross!

Yes, you are correct here.

So the scenario of upgrading BBPress when S2 IS already active might not run that routine to link the roles?

I’m guessing that on each S2 upgrade that routine is automated, but when BB Press is updated and reactivated we may have to push that button to run the routine?

An upgrade of bbPress (where a new version of bbPress is introducing role changes), will require you to press that button again so that s2Member can get things updated, with respect to Roles. s2Member will do this automatically whenever IT is upgraded, but if bbPress were being upgraded, without also updating s2Member immediately after, clicking that button in s2Member would resolve the issue for you.

In short, you are absolutely correct!

For the benefit of other readers, we’re speaking of the button located here:
Dashboard -› s2Member® -› General Options -› Membership Levels/Labels
Click the button at the bottom of that section to reinstall your s2Member roles.

s2Member also makes a button available in the s2Member® -› Other Integrations section of it’s control panel, which does the exact same thing. Both of these buttons reconfigure s2Member’s Role/Capability integration with WordPress/bbPress.

Viewing 22 replies - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

This topic is closed to new replies. Topics with no replies for 2 weeks are closed automatically.

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Contacting s2Member: Please use our Support Center for bug reports, pre-sale questions & technical assistance.