latest stable versions: v150827 (changelog)

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

PayPal Error #36: Transaction Failed

Home Forums Community Forum PayPal Error #36: Transaction Failed

Tagged: 

This topic contains 71 replies, has 6 voices. Last updated by  Cristián Lávaque 4 years, 1 month ago.

Page 2 Of Topic Replies

Viewing 25 replies - 26 through 50 (of 71 total)
Author Replies
Author Replies
Posted: Friday Nov 9th, 2012 at 3:48 pm #31169

Let me just ask this again more clearly.

If s2Member PayPal Options/PayPal Account Details are all set up so that it’s integrated with PayPal Pro API, do I really need to also fill out the Payflow Account Details?

In other words, I don’t care about what API is used if my users are able to sign up with credit cards and PayPal and activate their subscriptions. It seems Payflow may not be necessary to do this, and if that’s the case, I actually think it may be causing more harm than good given the results we are seeing currently.

Thanks!

Posted: Friday Nov 9th, 2012 at 5:25 pm #31178

Decided I had nothing to lose by removing the Payflow settings and trying it.

The Good News
PayPal subscription worked perfectly.

The Bad News
Credit card subscription gives Error #11586. DPRP is disabled. DPRP is disabled for this merchant.

So I put the settings back and we’re back at square one.

However, I still contend that s2Member is not using the standard Express Checkout API when Payflow Account Details are filled out. Why?

Well, when I looked at s2member-logs just now, the paypal-api.log has exactly one transaction in it: the successful one I did during the few minutes I had Payflow Details removed.

With Payflow Account Details present, the PayPal transactions are showing up in the paypal-payflow-api.log file (and failing there, as you know).

And again, this may be by design. I don’t know if s2Member is attempting to use Payflow for Express Checkout transactions. If it is, maybe the issue is that whole Billing Agreement ID thing I referenced earlier in this thread from PayPal. If s2Member is supposed to be using the standard Express Checkout API that would show up in paypal-api.log, then it’s not doing that when Payflow Account Details are present.

Posted: Friday Nov 9th, 2012 at 6:39 pm #31180

On a lark, I sent PayPal support the s2member-log content for a sample failed transaction from a PayPal user. They responded just moments ago, with looks to be very helpful content.

This was their reply.

Thank you for that. The reason it is not working is that they are leaving out a step. The Profile cannot be created without getting a BAID (Billing Agreement ID). This is done after the ‘ACTION = G’ step. To finalize the Express Checkout transaction you would either do an ‘ACTION=D’ to complete with a payment in addition to setting up the profile or ‘ACTION=X’ if you are only setting up a profile. Once the BAID is created you can then run the call to set up the Profile. If you try to do that without finalizing the Express checkout process and getting that BAID it will fail every time.

Please review chapter 2 of the following guide for an understanding of how to get a BAID in the Express Checkout:
https://cms.paypal.com/cms_content/US/en_US/files/developer/PFP_ExpressCheckout_PP.pdf

And also this guide regarding how to use the BAID to create a recurring profile:
https://cms.paypal.com/cms_content/US/en_US/files/developer/PP_PayflowPro_RecurringBilling_Guide.pdf

-Graham

Posted: Monday Nov 12th, 2012 at 5:10 pm #31353
Raam Dev
Username: Raam
Staff Member

Hi Chris,

Thank you very much for all the detailed information. I’m going to forward this thread to Jason, the lead developer, to get his input. To my knowledge, PayFlow is only applicable to recently opened PayPal Pro accounts.

A few months ago PayPal changed the API for newly created PayPal Pro accounts, while leaving older PayPal Pro account running under the older API. As a result, s2Member needed to accomodate both scenarios (old PayPal Pro accounts and new PayPal Pro accounts), which is why you see both options in there. If you have a Payflow account, you simply ignore the PayPal Account Details section and fill in the Payflow Account Details section.

If you see a DPRP is disabled error, I believe that indicates that your PayPal account doesn’t have the service required for what you’re trying to do. If you’re trying to process a recurring subscription with your PayPal Pro account, please contact PayPal and make sure that your PayPal Pro account also has the Recurring Billing option (it’s an add-on to PayPal Pro and must be specifically requested).

So at this point it looks like the latter may be your only problem. If you successfully created a PayPal Subscription using the Payflow settings, that would indicate that you do have a Payflow account. Since credit card subscriptions did not work and you received the DRP is disabled error, I suggest contacting PayPal with this error message and asking them to confirm your account has everything it needs.

I do not currently know of any issues with s2Member’s PayPal integration, whether using PayPal Express, PayPal Pro, or Payflow. However, I will forward this message to Jason to see if he can offer any further advice. He’s a lot more familiar with the various gateway integrations and should be able to explain things with more detail than I can. Thank you for your patience.

Posted: Monday Nov 12th, 2012 at 7:06 pm #31385
Staff Member
Thanks for the heads up on this thread.
~ Investigating now.
Posted: Monday Nov 12th, 2012 at 8:49 pm #31400
Staff Member
Thanks for your patience. I just received your server details and performed an on-site investigation of this problem as it exists in your environment.

Regarding this comment…

However, I still contend that s2Member is not using the standard Express Checkout API when Payflow Account Details are filled out. Why?

Yes, I believe you are correct to a certain extent. Or, perhaps there is some confusion here about which API s2Member Pro is actually designed to work with on the PayPal end of things. Based on the response you received from PayPal support, I think that’s probably the case. Confusion on their part, that is.

In s2Member Pro, if you leave the Payflow configuration fields empty in your Dashboard, s2Member Pro will integrate with the PayPal Website Payments Pro API (e.g. nothing special here), you just need a PayPal Pro account to integrate with s2Member Pro.

If you intend to charge on a recurring basis, you will need to ask PayPal to add DPRP to your PayPal Pro account. That is their Recurring Billing service for PayPal Pro accounts; which is what makes it possible for s2Member Pro to integrate recurring payments made possible by s2Member Pro, with your PayPal Pro account. This is simply a matter of asking PayPal to add the Recurring Billing service to your existing PayPal Pro account. This will cost you an additional $30/month, for a total of $60/mo.

End of story, you’re all done.

However…

There are some newer PayPal Pro accounts (it’s still a slight mystery to us about who exactly gets these by default, or perhaps by request – still not sure… PayPal support has been rather vague about this with us).

Anyway… some site owners (like YOU for instance), will NOT have the normal PayPal Pro account flavor.

Instead, you (like many others), have a PayPal Pro account operating under the Payflow Edition. This is NOT to be confused with a pure Payflow Pro account, that’s NOT the same thing. What you have is a “PayPal Pro (Payflow Edition)” account, which is a mixture of both the PayPal Pro and Payflow APIs.

Under this type of integration, s2Member Pro will use the normal PayPal Pro API portion of your account, for everything except Recurring Billing transactions. Under a PayPal Pro (Payflow edition) account, s2Member MUST integrate Recurring Billing with the Payflow API portion of your account. This is achieved by filling out the Payflow configuration details for s2Member to use, as seen in your Dashboard with s2Member Pro installed.

In addition, you will still need to ask PayPal to enable Recurring Billing service for your PayPal Pro (Payflow Edition) account. Everything is the same with your account, except instead of s2Member Pro using the normal PayPal Pro API for Recurring Billing, it will use the Payflow API portion of your account. It’s a behind-the-scene communication change, from one API to another.

Therefore, you SHOULD fill out the Payflow details in your s2Member configuration. Based on your log files, it appears that your PayPal account has already had Recurring Billing service enabled. So you’re already paying for that, and it’s working properly when you have the Payflow details filled in for s2Member.

That is, it’s working when a credit card is used, but it’s NOT working for you when a PayPal account is used, which is indicated by your log files. So the problem here comes back to the use of PayPal Express Checkout under the Payflow API, which is what s2Member is using; because the transactions you’re attempting to process are implementing a Recurring Profile, and not just a one-time transaction.

The response that you received from PayPal support…

The reason it is not working is that they are leaving out a step. The Profile cannot be created without getting a BAID (Billing Agreement ID). This is done after the ‘ACTION = G’ step. To finalize the Express Checkout transaction you would either do an ‘ACTION=D’ to complete with a payment in addition to setting up the profile or ‘ACTION=X’ if you are only setting up a profile. Once the BAID is created you can then run the call to set up the Profile. If you try to do that without finalizing the Express checkout process and getting that BAID it will fail every time.

This is incorrect. I would ask you to clarify for them that s2Member Pro is NOT using Merchant Initiated Billing. s2Member Pro Forms are integrating with the Payflow API via Express Checkout for a BILLINGTYPE=RecurringPayments, which does NOT require a BAID to be processed at all. Not to achieve what s2Member needs to.

What this support rep is referring to (regarding a BAID), is a different type of transaction, whereby s2Member would be responsible for maintaining the future billing schedule. s2Member does NOT integrate this way. s2Member creates a configurable Recurring Profile within your PayPal Pro (Payflow Edition) account, which you and s2Member can configure and monitor now and in the future. The future billing cycle is maintained by PayPal, and NOT by the s2Member software. Thus, a BAID is not necessary.

Resolving the issue with Express Checkout and your Payflow API…

I’m seeing errors in your paypal-payflow-api.log file with details like this:

'TRXPNREF' => 'ETJPA1763B30',
  'TRXRESPMSG' => 'Referral: 10422-The customer must return to PayPal to select new funding sources.',

This suggests one of the following to me:

1. Your PayPal account needs to be reviewed by PayPal support.
2. Your customer attempted to use a PayPal account via Express Checkout, funded by a checking account; but your PayPal account is configured NOT to accept checks?
3. Your customer attempted to use a PayPal account via Express Checkout, funded by GiroPay; but your PayPal account is configured NOT to accept GiroPay?

Or perhaps there is another issue that none of us are seeing. PayPal could help point us all in the right direction on this. Please submit this back to PayPal for further review. I would ask them to look at this specific transaction ('TRXPNREF' => 'ETJPA1763B30') and find out why the funding source was declined in this instance. That might help all of us find a resolution for you quicker.

Related articles:
https://www.x.com/developers/paypal/forums/paypal-sandbox/directpayment-how-i-know-if-client-have-enough-fund#answer-78900
https://www.x.com/developers/paypal/forums/general-support/new-and-confused#answer-181204
http://www.s2member.com/forums/topic/urgent-error-36-transaction-failed/

Documentation snippet regarding Merchant Initiated Billing:

Posted: Monday Nov 12th, 2012 at 9:23 pm #31403

Hi Jason,
Not sure you had a chance to log-in to my set-up and look but I have the same issue. I have the same PayPal / Payflow set-up as Chris I believe.

BTW – Here’s what happens when I try and enable recurring payments:
Your version of Website Payments Pro is not compatible with the Direct Payment Recurring Payments feature.
Now PayPal told me that in order for this feature to work you have to apply to get reference transactions enabled which they would not approve me for.

Personally I think it’s Paypal’s issue not understanding their products but I cannot get anybody to figure it out.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 1 month ago by  Mike Whitney.
Posted: Tuesday Nov 13th, 2012 at 2:05 pm #31469
Staff Member
@ Mike Whitney
Thank you. I’m taking a look at your installation now.
Posted: Tuesday Nov 13th, 2012 at 2:31 pm #31470

I, too, have been having this same issue and will send a PCF.

Posted: Tuesday Nov 13th, 2012 at 2:35 pm #31471
Staff Member

@ Mike Whitney

I just took a look at your s2Member installation, and I poked through your /s2member-logs/paypal-payflow-api.log file. I’m seeing the exact same issue on your installation. You have integrated PayPal Pro (Payflow Edition), and it appears that your account also has Recurring Billing service enabled, because like Chris Crabtree, credit card transactions ARE being processed properly on your site (indicating that Recurring Billing service IS enabled in your PayPal account). However, PayPal Express Checkout transactions on your installation (e.g. a credit card was NOT used – a PayPal account was used instead) are also resulting in the following error.

'TRXPNREF' => 'EQCP7C468C4F',
'TRXRESPMSG' => 'Referral: 10422-The customer must return to PayPal to select new funding sources.',

I think it’s a good idea for both of you to request PayPal assistance in this matter. Asking them to review some of the transactions (like the one I posted above – 'TRXPNREF' => 'EQCP7C468C4F'), so they can offer you some insight about why the funding source is being rejected in these specific cases.

That being said, since both of you are reporting the same issue, I think it would be irresponsible for us not to investigate this further on our end as well. With your permission, I’d like the opportunity to perform some test transactions against your installation, in the hopes of finding a resolution.

Please reply back and give me the OK on this. Also, please keep me updated about any replies that either of you get from PayPal in this matter. We will be sure to investigate them extensively on our end as well.

Regarding your comment about DPRP…

BTW – Here’s what happens when I try and enable recurring payments:
Your version of Website Payments Pro is not compatible with the Direct Payment Recurring Payments feature.
Now PayPal told me that in order for this feature to work you have to apply to get reference transactions enabled which they would not approve me for.

From my own communication with PayPal, it is my understanding that DPRP is NOT possible with a PayPal Pro (Payflow Edition) account (not possible due to technical issues). Instead, Recurring Billing service works together with the Payflow portion of your account. This is why s2Member Pro MUST integrate it’s recurring billing routines with the Payflow portion of your PayPal account. So it’s not a surprise to me that you heard this from PayPal. If you have a PayPal Pro (Payflow Edition) account with Recurring Billing service enabled, you just need to tell s2Member by filling out the Payflow portion of your s2Member configuration. This way s2Member will use the Payflow API to facilitate recurring billing, instead of trying to use DPRP under the normal PayPal Pro API.

Personally I think it’s Paypal’s issue not understanding their products but I cannot get anybody to figure it out.

While I’m not convinced yet, that this issue is entirely PayPal’s fault (my investigation on this will continue), I do agree with you. PayPal already had several different types of service (which brought with it some confusion for everyone). Then, a few months ago they started issuing PayPal Pro (Payflow Edition) accounts on a regular basis, they renamed some of their other services, and this just further confused everyone even more. Including some confusion on the part of PayPal customer support. In my experience with PayPal, it has been very difficult for them to offer site owners assistance, because there is confusion on their part about which API is being used, and how a particular API is being used (because each of their APIs provide several options). These issues are VERY technical by nature, and PayPal support seems to have trouble keeping up with their own products at times. Some experiences are different from others. It really just comes down to WHO you speak with over there, and how high up the chain that person is. The PayPal MTS agents seem to have the most knowledge. https://www.x.com/developers/paypal/forums

While you’re waiting to hear back from PayPal, please give me the OK to run test transactions against your installation. We will do our part to help resolve this matter for you.
Posted: Tuesday Nov 13th, 2012 at 2:47 pm #31472
Staff Member

@ Tony Schwartz

Thanks for reporting your experience. The FTP details that you submitted privately are not working for me. Can you please verify the details you sent over, and then submit a new Private Contact Form submission for me? I will be happy to investigate for you. Also, please write a comment providing us with permission to run test transactions against your installation.

s2Member® » Private Contact Form

Posted: Tuesday Nov 13th, 2012 at 2:50 pm #31473

Hi Jason,
I will try and get in contact with PayPal tomorrow.

Please use my OK as to go ahead with testing on my site.
Thanks.
Mike

Posted: Tuesday Nov 13th, 2012 at 3:13 pm #31476

@ Jason

PCF sent with new FTP info.

Posted: Tuesday Nov 13th, 2012 at 3:16 pm #31477
Staff Member
@ Tony Schwartz
Details received. Investigating now.
@ Mike Whitney
Thank you. Investigating now.
Posted: Tuesday Nov 13th, 2012 at 3:28 pm #31480
Staff Member

@ Tony Schwartz

Exact same issue on your installation. Credit card transactions succeed, Express Checkout transactions fail with:

'TRXPNREF' => 'EXHPA1DA6C70',

Investigation continues on our end.

Posted: Tuesday Nov 13th, 2012 at 3:38 pm #31481

Thanks Jason – I have emailed PayPal to look at this transaction.

Posted: Tuesday Nov 13th, 2012 at 4:42 pm #31486
Staff Member
While we here at s2Member continue our investigation into this issue, I will offer the following advice presented to me by PayPal developer support.

PayPal wrote…

Error 10422 has to do with the funding source that the buyer selected. For live transactions, I will suggest you contact PayPal customer support to verify why the system is preventing the buyer to use that funding source to make a payment.

Below are the numbers to contact customer support:

US/CA: 1-888-221-1161
UK: 08707 307 191
Australia: 1-800-073-263
Germany: 0180 500 66 27
Other: 1-402-935-2080

Here’s another related thread at PayPal developer support:
https://www.x.com/developers/paypal/forums/general-support/new-and-confused#answer-181193

Posted: Tuesday Nov 13th, 2012 at 5:06 pm #31487

@Jason, yes, you have my okay to run test transactions to help resolve this matter. Please do what you feel will help best!

Posted: Tuesday Nov 13th, 2012 at 5:22 pm #31490
Staff Member
We may have a lead on a fix for this issue. I’ll post an update shortly.
Posted: Tuesday Nov 13th, 2012 at 5:33 pm #31491

@Jason, I sent your explanation of why a BAID is unnecessary (merchant-initiated versus PayPal-initiated via the recurring profile) verbatim to Graham @ PayPal, who seems pretty knowledgeable I think. We’ll see what he says regardless, but obviously I’m rooting for your recent lead on a fix to get us past this.

Thanks!

Posted: Tuesday Nov 13th, 2012 at 6:53 pm #31500

Jason,

I just had a payment go through for you for .01 and a new account created… Is that the fix?

Posted: Tuesday Nov 13th, 2012 at 7:09 pm #31505
Staff Member
A fix for this issue has been identified, and will be included in the next maintenance release.
A PATCH file is available immediately (continue reading please).
Changelog excerpt for coming release…
* (s2Member Pro) **Bug Fix**. s2Member Pro Forms integrated with Payflow Recurring Billing via PayPal Express Checkout were failing against some accounts with an erroneous error #10422 related to an invalid funding source. With some help from other site owners and the assistance of PayPal technical support, the underlying issue has been fixed in this release. Discussed in [this thread](http://www.s2member.com/forums/topic/paypal-error-36-transaction-failed/page/2/#post-31490).
While you are waiting for the next maintenance release, you may unzip and upload the attached file, which is designed to patch existing installations of s2Member Pro v120703 or higher. Please upload the attached file, allowing it override your existing copy of:
/s2member-pro/includes/classes/gateways/paypal/paypal-checkout-pf-in.inc.php
PATCH: http://d1v41qemfjie0l.cloudfront.net/s2member/uploads/paypal-checkout-pf-in.inc_.php_3.zip

Resolution details…

As it turns out, the error code reported by PayPal (error #10422) was erroneous. The underlying cause of the issue being reported here in this thread, was related to PayPal Express Checkout integration via PayPal Pro (Payflow Edition) accounts. The underlying cause was NOT related to funding source issues as stated by PayPal’s API response in the logs, nor was it related to any BAID mentioned previously by a PayPal support rep in response to this problem; which is related to an entirely different type of integration.

Rather, this was caused by a change in the underlying Payflow API (and outdated documentation for this API), related to the initial SetExpressCheckout call, with TRXTYPE=S, as opposed to TRXTYPE=A, which is what is now required by the Payflow API.

Our tests against the problematic installations being reported in this thread, indicate that setting TRXTYPE=A in the code, resolves the issue completely. Implementing the patch file above will update your s2Member installation to set TRXTYPE=A instead TRXTYPE=S in the initial SetExpressCheckout call.

In retrospect, it would have been nice for PayPal’s API to have returned an error code that all of us could have understood. However, a resolution has been found, and that’s in no small part thanks to all of you! Thank you for your continued support of s2Member Pro, and I thank you all for your patience in this matter.

If any of you have further trouble after implementing the patch, please let us know.

Posted: Tuesday Nov 13th, 2012 at 7:23 pm #31507

Hi Jason,
I got excited uploaded the patch and tried again.
Same error. :(
You want to look at my logs?
Thanks.
Mike

Posted: Tuesday Nov 13th, 2012 at 8:51 pm #31522

I also applied the patched file and got the same error #36. I have not yet looked in the log files to see if the error code we get back from PayPal has changed.

Posted: Tuesday Nov 13th, 2012 at 9:00 pm #31524

Same 10422 response.

Viewing 25 replies - 26 through 50 (of 71 total)

This topic is closed to new replies. Topics with no replies for 2 weeks are closed automatically.

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Contacting s2Member: Please use our Support Center for bug reports, pre-sale questions & technical assistance.