latest stable versions: v150827 (changelog)

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Recaptcha / Captcha values disspearing

Home Forums Community Forum Recaptcha / Captcha values disspearing

This topic contains 17 replies, has 2 voices. Last updated by  Cristián Lávaque 3 years, 9 months ago.

Topic Author Topic
Posted: Wednesday Feb 27th, 2013 at 3:24 am #43276

Every couple of days, the values set in the Catpcha anti-spam-security general section get replaced with my “username”…and I think “password” (password encryped with ****** so I don’t know) . This makes the my Recaptcha dissapear on the site. Even if I leave the fields blank for the default captcha, it happens

What is causing this?

thanks

List Of Topic Replies

Viewing 17 replies - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
Author Replies
Author Replies
Posted: Wednesday Feb 27th, 2013 at 9:21 am #43315

Hi Vincent.

Do you save other changes in the General Options page for s2Member when that happens to your captcha settings? [hilite path]Dashboard -› s2Member® -› General Options -› CAPTCHA Anti-Spam Security[/hilite]

Have you tested if there’s a plugin conflict? Knowledge Base » Common Troubleshooting Tips

Posted: Wednesday Feb 27th, 2013 at 11:40 am #43335

I am not making any changes in the general options area. I just look at the web site, and see that the captcha is missing so no one can register. When i look in the options, it was replaced by my WordPress login (again, I cannot verify the password since it’s encrypted, but it looks like the WordPress login.

It’s difficult to test the plugins because this happens every couple of days – by apprearance on it’s own. So I haven’t a clue as to how that happens.

If it matters, it’s multisite

Posted: Thursday Feb 28th, 2013 at 5:53 am #43390

I see. That’s very strange. I don’t know what could be causing it, either.

Does this happen in all the child blogs of the network, or only some?

You can send the login info and I’ll take a look, but I can’t say that I’ll know what it is from that. I’m just curious about taking a look to see if anything jumps at me. s2Member® » Private Contact Form

Posted: Thursday Feb 28th, 2013 at 11:07 am #43415

Christian
It hasn’t happened since I submitted the ticket. Yet, I’m sure it’s strange.

I wonder if “ROBOFORM” has anything to do with it. Not sure if you are familiar with it, but it’s a toolbar that maintains all your logins/passwords. For the captcha fields to be filled with what appears to be the wordpress login, I wonder if somehow it is submitting the login there.

But I’m watching it very closely.

Posted: Saturday Mar 2nd, 2013 at 5:12 am #43577

Ah, that sounds like a possibility. Okay, please keep us updated.

I hope you don’t have any more trouble with it. :)

Posted: Monday Mar 11th, 2013 at 8:28 pm #44292

Happened again today. Haven’t got a clue as to why. I submitted a private contact form the other day. Please see if you can figure this out.

Maybe you can also install “ROBOFORM” and see if there is a bug that allows it fill in values. It’s a stretch though, but the fields are getting replaced with my wordpress login. But it’s not like it’s happening while I’m working with the general options page.

thanks
Vin

Posted: Thursday Mar 14th, 2013 at 4:37 am #44580

Got the login info. I couldn’t reproduce it yet…

If you suspect it’s RoboForm, could you test for a while not using the browser with it when you login to your WP admin area? See if it happens again without RoboForm involved in any way.

Posted: Saturday Mar 16th, 2013 at 8:16 am #44921

It’s very hard to test. It just happens randomly. I go in and check, the values are replaced. I’m not even making changes in the general options page.

Very frustrating as I’m losing members because they can’t sign up if I don’t keep checking at least twice a day.

Posted: Tuesday Mar 19th, 2013 at 12:54 am #45125

I took a new look at your site and realized that it’s a multisite network, so I went to the network administration plugins page and noticed many more plugins than I had seen before in the blog I logged into with the credentials you sent.

I was looking for a caching plugin. Noticed Quick Cache, but that one doesn’t cause trouble. Then in the drop-ins I noticed advanced-cache.php, which may be a file left from a previous cache plugin you tried. Try removing that one and see if you have the problem again over the next days.

Posted: Tuesday Mar 19th, 2013 at 3:22 am #45153

Cristián
Ok, deleted that leftover file. We’ll see.

BTW, when i logged in this morning, the recaptcha fields were replaced again, but this time the
first field said “ADMINISTRATOR”.

Interesting, it is usually replaced by by own username (I don’t use “administrator”)
This had to happen while you were in there checking – and pretty much eliminates roboform as the culprit.

I’ll keep an eye today
thanks

Posted: Tuesday Mar 19th, 2013 at 4:24 am #45155

Hmm… I didn’t go there in the morning, only about 3.5 hours ago, more or less. But it really is an odd behavior, to change those field values like that.

Hopefully the cache file was the source of the problem and you won’t have this happen again. Hopefully because I have no idea what else can be the reason. :)

Posted: Tuesday Mar 19th, 2013 at 3:17 pm #45179

Sorry, I didn’t say you went there in the morning…I had said “when I logged in in the morning”…the first key was replaced with “Administrator”. When it happens to me, the first key becomes MY wordpress login (I don’t use “administrator”)

Anyway, after deleting the cache file, it still happens. I know you are racking your brain trying to figure it out. Everytime I go in, I am tracing my steps to see if I can replicate….but it just happens randomly.

If you can’t figure this out, I hope you can provide a workaround to at least “protect” what’s in there. It’s such a freakish thing as I have no trouble with any other part of s2member.

v

Posted: Tuesday Mar 19th, 2013 at 4:57 pm #45184

Sorry, I didn’t say you went there in the morning…

Sorry, you’re right, I misread.

If you can’t figure this out, I hope you can provide a workaround to at least “protect” what’s in there. It’s such a freakish thing as I have no trouble with any other part of s2member.

It’s affecting the s2Member setting, but it’s not s2Member’s doing. I really don’t know what’s causing it. And it’s not a setting in a file that you can protect so it’s not writable, it’s in the database.

I’d find the setting in the database and ask the webhost if there’s any way for them to monitor what changes that value. There has to be a script doing it, and there must be some kind of way to log that, I guess. Try asking them how they can help you with that.

Posted: Tuesday Mar 19th, 2013 at 5:45 pm #45189

can you tell me if the recaptcha code is supposed to appear in wp_options and wp_sitemeta?

I sent a ticket to host. We’ll see if they can help (doubt it, but worth a shot)

Posted: Thursday Mar 21st, 2013 at 8:06 pm #45421

Not sure if I’ve made headway …but I see something that is happening

Sometimes, when i load the general options page, it REFRESHES all by itself as I scroll down the page. It then says options saved, and the recaptcha fields are replaced by my wordpress username.

One thought is that it has something to do with the Roboform (password toolbar). But there is no explanation as to when YOU logged in and it was replaced by “Administrator”

This happens randomly…like an “auto-refresh”. I don’t know why it happens.

Posted: Friday Mar 22nd, 2013 at 12:36 am #45434

can you tell me if the recaptcha code is supposed to appear in wp_options and wp_sitemeta?

I’m not sure, but I’m guessing that’d be in the [hilite mono]wp_options[/hilite] table, look for [hilite mono]ws_plugin__s2member_options[/hilite].

Posted: Friday Mar 22nd, 2013 at 12:43 am #45435

Sometimes, when i load the general options page, it REFRESHES all by itself as I scroll down the page. It then says options saved, and the recaptcha fields are replaced by my wordpress username.

That’s why I’d try using another browser for a while every time you login to your site, especially the admin area. Something that doesn’t have RoboForm or other extensions that may cause this. If you use Firefox, try Chrome, or vice-versa.

Viewing 17 replies - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

This topic is closed to new replies. Topics with no replies for 2 weeks are closed automatically.

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Contacting s2Member: Please use our Support Center for bug reports, pre-sale questions & technical assistance.