latest stable versions: v150827 (changelog)

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

S2member VS retrieval site programs

Home Forums Community Forum S2member VS retrieval site programs

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices. Last updated by  Jason (Lead Developer) 3 years, 11 months ago.

Topic Author Topic
Posted: Monday Jan 21st, 2013 at 11:00 am #38585

I have searched your forums and here under support but I did not see an answer or the question asked how does s2member pro and free hold up against retrieval site programs?

List Of Topic Replies

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
Author Replies
Author Replies
Posted: Wednesday Jan 23rd, 2013 at 2:14 pm #39203
Eduan
Username: Eduan

Hello Matthew,

Could you please describe what a “retrieval site program” is? Otherwise it is impossible for us to provide help. :)

– Eduan

Posted: Wednesday Jan 23rd, 2013 at 3:02 pm #39217

A retrieval program is used for retrieving files using HTTP, HTTPS and FTP. It can be abused and joined with python and other methods to bypass robot.txt files and download everything from a site. What is in place if this method is used by someone that isnt a registered member or doesnt have the credentials to view something behind s2member. Does s2member have something in place that will prevent this process or display a message if a program is ran along this line?

Posted: Friday Jan 25th, 2013 at 8:41 pm #39583
Eduan
Username: Eduan

Matthew, I contacted Jason to hear his opinion regarding this. :)

Posted: Saturday Jan 26th, 2013 at 12:02 am #39595
Staff Member

Thanks for the heads up on this thread :-)

I’ve never heard the term “retrieval site programs” before.

If anyone (including bots, scripts, robots) is unauthorized to view content protected by s2Member®, that user/bot/script/etc, will be redirected to your Membership Options Page. The content from the site is never made accessible to anyone that is unauthorized; regardless of how the site is accessed (via HTTP, HTTPS).

Acessing a site via FTP (where the FTP user is authenticated), would bypass all PHP scripts, including s2Member (including WordPress itself of course too). Nobody should ever have access via FTP except you, or developers working with you. This is something that should be handled by a system administrator (or your hosting company).

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

This topic is closed to new replies. Topics with no replies for 2 weeks are closed automatically.

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Contacting s2Member: Please use our Support Center for bug reports, pre-sale questions & technical assistance.