latest stable versions: v150827 (changelog)

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Subscribers Not Taken To Welcome Page

Home Forums Community Forum Subscribers Not Taken To Welcome Page

This topic contains 53 replies, has 3 voices. Last updated by  Jason (Lead Developer) 3 years, 10 months ago.

Topic Author Topic
Posted: Thursday Jan 24th, 2013 at 6:09 am #39361
Brian Bennis
Username: thumz

Hi

Having just updated S2Member, it now seems when a member logs in, they’re taken to their WordPress profile page and not the Welcome Page in the Members Area.

How can I fix this, please – it’s pretty urgent?

Brian

• This topic was modified 3 years, 11 months ago by  Brian Bennis.

List Of Topic Replies

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 53 total)
Author Replies
Author Replies
Posted: Thursday Jan 24th, 2013 at 6:13 am #39364
Ronnie
Username: Zeeflo

Go to: S2member-> General options -> Login Welcome Page

And either chose an existing page or a custom url! :)

Posted: Thursday Jan 24th, 2013 at 6:21 am #39368
Brian Bennis

Thanks Ronnie.

I have it pointing to the ‘Welcome To The Members Area’ page from the drop down list, as it has been for months, but when someone logs in now, it goes to the profile page.

Any other thoughts?

Brian

• This reply was modified 3 years, 11 months ago by  Brian Bennis.
Posted: Thursday Jan 24th, 2013 at 6:33 am #39375
Ronnie

A thought could be that a wordpress plugin or rule in your functions.php is overriding when a user logs in.?

Posted: Thursday Jan 24th, 2013 at 6:42 am #39378
Brian Bennis

Thanks, Ronnie. I haven’t added any new plugins for some time so I don’t think it can be that.

What I found within the last few days was when I looked at individual Users as the main administrator, was that in the Google+ box, it was adding my WordPress username and password. The only way I could remove these pre-filled fields this was to clear everything (using Chrome). I wonder if it’s cleared some key passwords or IDs within S2Member or WordPress. It seemed to remove the captcha code for signing up new members, but I’ve fixed that. It all seems to work OK, other than the member login not going to the right page.

I’m sorry, I don’t know how to check rules within functions.php.

Does any of this make sense to you?

Brian

Posted: Thursday Jan 24th, 2013 at 7:44 am #39397
Ronnie

Clearing your chrome, or any other browsers cache shouldnt have an effect, what so ever, on how you have configured your s2member.

Also, if you have not installed/updated any plugins that “takes over your login”, and you have not added anything to your functions.php, I dont know how you would proceed, except for creating a rule in your functions.php..
But that should not be necessary as S2member controls this.

Perhaps you should wait for official support on this.

Posted: Thursday Jan 24th, 2013 at 7:51 am #39398
Brian Bennis

Thanks Ronnie for your help. The only other thing that changed in the last two days were two S2Member updates, but I can’t believe it’s down to that. Hopefully, official support will be able to sort me out – they’re always absolutely brilliant.

Posted: Friday Jan 25th, 2013 at 8:48 am #39502
Brian Bennis

Hi ‘official support’

Here’s the latest position…

Some users seem to be going straight to the members area home page when they log in. Some go to the profile page – http://www.sippclub.com/wp-admin/profile.php – which is really confusing for them. It seems older users are OK and arrive at http://www.sippclub.com/welcome-to-the-members-area/ and newer ones are not. Take a look…

Here’s the login screen – http://www.sippclub.com/sipp/log-in/

Try these older users:

u: guest p: pass1234 (basic subscriber)
u: kevin p: password1234 (S2Member Level 4 – I don’t have different levels, but it’s my way of identifying them)

Try these new test users:

u: 1111 p: clever
u: 222 p: password

I’ve just updated to WordPress 3.5.1 and the latest version of S2Member/Pro.

Thanks.

Brian

Posted: Saturday Jan 26th, 2013 at 1:46 am #39622
Staff Member

Thanks for reporting this important issue.

I received the following error upon a review of your installation.

Some users seem to be going straight to the members area home page when they log in. Some go to the profile page – http://www.sippclub.com/wp-admin/profile.php – which is really confusing for them. It seems older users are OK and arrive at http://www.sippclub.com/welcome-to-the-members-area/ and newer ones are not.

I’m not aware of any reason for an older Member to be treated differently from a newer Member. The only thing that comes to mind is s2Member’s One-Time Offers (Upon Login), but those would have to configured by you, so you would know why this is occurring (i.e. it would be on purpose).

Dashboard -› s2Member® -› General Options -› One-Time Offers (Upon Login)

It’s possible that you have a theme/plugin injecting a redirect_to value in your login page.
Please see: Video » s2Member (Login Welcome Page Conflicts?)

Please let us know if problems persist :-)

Posted: Saturday Jan 26th, 2013 at 8:35 am #39681
Brian Bennis

Dear Jason

Thanks for your reply. I can only assume the error you got was at Hostmonster, when the server was temporarily down. Sorry about that. I don’t use One-Time Offers – just the simplest form of free membership.

I’ve followed your video, which like all of your videos was very clear, but I can’t find a ‘redirect_to’ anywhere on the login page. It’s a real mystery.

Please can you check the logins above again (assuming Hostmonster plays ball) and then let me know what further thoughts you have. Thanks.

Brian

Posted: Wednesday Jan 30th, 2013 at 3:53 am #39991
Brian Bennis

Dear Jason

Please can you help me sort out my problem. It’s causing difficulties with new members.

Thanks.

Brian

Posted: Thursday Jan 31st, 2013 at 5:17 am #40061
Brian Bennis

Dear Jason

Sorry to be a nag, but here’s an idea from another forum post – http://www.s2member.com/forums/topic/im-very-disapointed-i-am-a-paying-client-i/

… Please could you show me how to roll back to the previous installation of S2Member/Pro, just to check whether the recent update is where the problem lies.

Thanks.

Brian

Posted: Thursday Jan 31st, 2013 at 5:24 am #40065
Ronnie

Use your backup?

Posted: Thursday Jan 31st, 2013 at 5:34 am #40068
Brian Bennis

Interestingly, I didn’t take a backup (although I do remember reading the warning). Whoops!

Posted: Thursday Jan 31st, 2013 at 5:35 am #40069
Ronnie

Perhaps, ask if your host has backups?

Posted: Thursday Jan 31st, 2013 at 5:46 am #40072
Brian Bennis

They may do but I don’t want to lose the data I’ve been adding over the last week. I’d rather wait until Jason sorts out the problem. Thanks.

Posted: Thursday Jan 31st, 2013 at 5:48 am #40075
Ronnie

Jason, or anyone else for that matter cant sort out lost/overwritten SQL data..
Maybe you could check your SQL data via phpmyadmin or something, and go see if your old settings are in fact still there?

Posted: Thursday Jan 31st, 2013 at 5:51 am #40076
Ronnie

If you use Teamviewer, I can help you out for 20-30 minutes, if you dont know how to do that.

Posted: Thursday Jan 31st, 2013 at 5:53 am #40078
Brian Bennis

Sorry Ronnie, this is language I don’t understand. I have no technical knowledge. I wouldn’t know what I was looking at, and I’d be worried about mucking up what is working. Logging in to older records (pre-last week) is fine – going straight to the welcome page. Since last week, it goes to the WordPress profile page. I’m sure it’s a relatively easy fix for people in the know. Thanks for your help though.

Posted: Thursday Jan 31st, 2013 at 5:55 am #40079
Ronnie

Youre welcome :)

Posted: Thursday Jan 31st, 2013 at 5:57 am #40081
Brian Bennis

Over to the ‘official support’ then, please.

Posted: Thursday Jan 31st, 2013 at 6:02 am #40082
Ronnie

A small hint, Jason asked you to check if you had a conflicting login redirect. If you have this, it would be in your /themes/YOURTHEMEFOLDER/functions.php, not in the actual wp-login.php.

Posted: Thursday Jan 31st, 2013 at 6:11 am #40083
Brian Bennis

This is what’s in the functions.php file…

<?php 
if(!class_exists('Theme')){
	/* Load the Theme class. */
	require_once (TEMPLATEPATH . '/framework/theme.php');

$theme = new Theme();
	$options = include(TEMPLATEPATH . '/framework/info.php');

$theme->init($options);
}

/*
You can add your custom functions below 
It will not override by theme upgrade.
*/
Posted: Thursday Jan 31st, 2013 at 6:39 am #40089
Ronnie

After the last */

you could add something like this:

function my_login_redirect( $redirect_to, $request, $user ){
    //is there a user to check?
    if( is_array( $user-&gt;roles ) ) {
        //check for admins
        if( in_array( "administrator", $user-&gt;roles ) ) {
            // redirect them to the default place
            return $redirect_to;
        } else {
            return home_url();
        }
    }
}
add_filter( 'login_redirect', create_function( '$url,$query,$user', 'return "www.google.com";' ), 10, 3 );

This will make all who is member of the Administrator group go to the Dashboard, and everyone else is sent to google.com _after_ they log in.

Of course, you would change that with the URL of the page you want them to go to..
If this does not work, delete it again from your functions.php

–EDIT

Nonetheless, your S2member ->General Options ->Member Login Page should work for all logins with the execption like jason said.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 11 months ago by  Ronnie.
Posted: Thursday Jan 31st, 2013 at 6:51 am #40094
Brian Bennis

I tried that, but when the login button was clicked, the page went white completely (ie nothing happened and the routine hung). I’ve reinstated the original file and all is well. Using my html editor, I got an error in your code as you can see…

Posted: Thursday Jan 31st, 2013 at 6:56 am #40095
Ronnie

try this:

$url_to_redirect = "www.google.com"; add_filter( 'login_redirect', create_function( '$url,$query,$user', 'return $url_to_redirect;' ), 10, 3 );
Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 53 total)

This topic is closed to new replies. Topics with no replies for 2 weeks are closed automatically.

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Contacting s2Member: Please use our Support Center for bug reports, pre-sale questions & technical assistance.