latest stable versions: v150827 (changelog)

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Subscribers Not Taken To Welcome Page

Home Forums Community Forum Subscribers Not Taken To Welcome Page

This topic contains 53 replies, has 3 voices. Last updated by  Jason (Lead Developer) 3 years, 10 months ago.

Page 2 Of Topic Replies

Viewing 25 replies - 26 through 50 (of 53 total)
Author Replies
Author Replies
Posted: Thursday Jan 31st, 2013 at 7:23 am #40104
Brian Bennis
Username: thumz

Please could you let me know if I replace the whole of your old code beyond the last */ or just part of it.

Posted: Thursday Jan 31st, 2013 at 7:31 am #40105
Ronnie
Username: Zeeflo

the whole code after */ :)

Posted: Thursday Jan 31st, 2013 at 7:59 am #40111
Brian Bennis

I’m afraid that made no difference. Later logins go to the profile page and earlier ones work perfectly. Here’s the code I used…

Posted: Thursday Jan 31st, 2013 at 8:18 am #40112
Ronnie

Your error is right there. The file or folder on line 4 (‘/framework/theme.php’); isnt there.

PHP is not my strong side, so either go to a chat iRC server like Freenode and ask in the #php channel or wait for someone here who’s better then @ stuff like this.. I only know that this would work, somehow..

Sorry I cant help any further.

Posted: Thursday Jan 31st, 2013 at 8:21 am #40114
Brian Bennis

Thanks Ronnie for trying. I’ll await the next ‘knight in shining armour’ to shed some light on this.

Posted: Friday Feb 1st, 2013 at 11:38 am #40271
Brian Bennis

Hi Jason

I’ve been doing some more analysis of the issue. It seems when I register users on http://www.sippclub.com with very short names, like those test ones listed earlier (eg u: 1111 p: clever ~~~ u: 222 p: password), the login goes to the profile page.

But if I genuinely register a user with full names etc, login goes to the correct Welcome page. Try this new one – u: 1renelapp p: 1pass1

Why does this happen?

Brian

Posted: Saturday Feb 2nd, 2013 at 10:55 am #40429
Staff Member

Thanks for the follow-up :-)

Some users seem to be going straight to the members area home page when they log in. Some go to the profile page – http://www.sippclub.com/wp-admin/profile.php – which is really confusing for them. It seems older users are OK and arrive at http://www.sippclub.com/welcome-to-the-members-area/ and newer ones are not.

Something I might have missed before…

If you have some Users/Members with the edit_posts Capability, this can happen. s2Member will redirect anyone who can edit_posts, to the WP Dashboard and not to the Login Welcome Page.

If you would like to tell s2Member NOT to do this, please follow these instructions.

Please create this directory and file:
/wp-content/mu-plugins/s2-hacks.php
(NOTE: these are MUST USE plugins, see: http://codex.wordpress.org/Must_Use_Plugins)
(See also: http://www.s2member.com/kb/hacking-s2member/)

<?php
add_filter('ws_plugin__s2member_login_redirect', 's2_login_redirect', 10, 2);
function s2_login_redirect($what_s2_says, $vars = array())
	{
		$user = $vars&#91;'user'&#93;;

if($user->has_cap('edit_posts'))
			return FALSE;

return $what_s2_says;
	}
Posted: Saturday Feb 2nd, 2013 at 10:58 am #40430
Staff Member

I’ve been doing some more analysis of the issue. It seems when I register users on http://www.sippclub.com with very short names, like those test ones listed earlier (eg u: 1111 p: clever ~~~ u: 222 p: password), the login goes to the profile page.

But if I genuinely register a user with full names etc, login goes to the correct Welcome page. Try this new one – u: 1renelapp p: 1pass1

I would start looking for plugins, or at plugin configurations, to see if another plugin is somehow granting permissions to some Users (or if you’re assigning different Roles to some Users/Members), which would give them the ability to edit_posts.

Please let us know if problems persist :-)

Posted: Monday Feb 4th, 2013 at 4:55 am #40593
Brian Bennis

Hi Jason

Thanks for your replies. I’ve not amended the standard WordPress set-up. In fact, I’ve had a look and I can’t find anywhere in the WordPress settings where I grant permission to edit_posts or not. Please can you show me where I look to find this.

As for plugins, I have disabled them all and the problem still persists. Here’s the list – maybe you have an idea which one/ones might be causing a problem:

All in One SEO Pack
Contact Form DB
Digi Link Doctor
Exec-PHP
Export Users to CSV
Fast Secure Contact Form
Global Hide/Remove Admin Bar Plugin
Google XML Sitemaps
s2Member® Framework
Simple Side Tab
WP Show IDs
WP Syndicator

Thanks.

Brian

Posted: Monday Feb 4th, 2013 at 1:04 pm #40746
Staff Member

Thanks for your reply :-)

Nothing jumping right out at me there. However, if Users have Capability issues; that will remain — even if you deactivate every plugin including s2Member (because those are part of the WP core framework). They might be added by plugins, but they will remain until they are removed in one way or another.

If you’d like to submit a Dashboard login, I will run diagnostics for you.
See: s2Member® » Private Contact Form

Posted: Monday Feb 4th, 2013 at 1:23 pm #40753
Ronnie

Yes, unfortunately almost EVERY single wordpres plugin developer doesnt care to proper code their stuff.
I dont think I have ever had a plugin that would delete their settings and wipe their database strings when its removed..

Posted: Monday Feb 4th, 2013 at 1:47 pm #40760
Staff Member

Yes, unfortunately almost EVERY single wordpres plugin developer doesnt care to proper code their stuff.
I dont think I have ever had a plugin that would delete their settings and wipe their database strings when its removed..

s2Member® will do that for you :-) If Deactivation Safeguards are turned off.
See: Dashboard -› s2Member® -› General Options -› Deactivation Safeguards

However, even with our attempt to remove everything; Users are not removed — for obvious reasons. And, since Users are not removed, neither are their Capabilities (that really is not something we should do either, in my opinion) because it could cause unexpected results.

I know what you’re saying though. Most plugins leave EVERYTHING in your DB; and you end up with a big mess of wp_options table entries that really do nothing at all. The worst part is, many of these get autoloaded by WordPress going foward, even though they mean absolutely nothing once the plugin is deleted.

I see this both as a failure on the part of plugin developers,
and also as a failure on the part of WordPress itself. It would be great if plugins had their own namespace by default, so that (at the very least) they were not creating options entries that would remain after the plugin is deactivated and deleted too. I think deleting a plugin should erase it’s tracks completely.

Posted: Monday Feb 4th, 2013 at 3:03 pm #40773
Ronnie

Yes, you are absolutely correct. And unfortunately there are users of S2member who forgets to safeguard their settings when they upgrade, to much distress and flaming here ;) – expecting S2member can magically restore lost database entries that were deleted. And backups is a city in russia for them as well.

Data will fail, so my advise is always – PLAN for it, and do backups of what you cannot lose to data/hardware failure.
Everything that would take you 2-3 tops hours to restore is worth backing up – as well as custom coded php.

I can recommend using the plugin: backWPup – it works like a charm.
I do backups of everything every 2nd hour during work hours, and every 4th hour during evening/night time, and I have set it to retain the last 24 backups, so I always have a day and a half backups ready to deploy, with auto removal the oldest when the 25th backup is being made.
This plugin automates the process with cron, lets you select what to backup, even custom root dirs as well (e.g. /var/www/*), it auto halts the mysql/sql databases when it grabs a snapshot and much more.
It will backup to FTP, Amazon, Dropbox, NAS, even email.. It is really well thought of this plugin, and really really easy to use. Its the sort of plugin you install, set up, and forget about – untill you need it. And when you DO need it, youre happy you had it!

Im not the creator of it, but it is a really nice plugin that hos MORE then 1 time saved my butt! :)

Posted: Tuesday Feb 5th, 2013 at 5:06 am #40836
Brian Bennis

Hi Ronnie

Thanks for the information about backWPup. I’ve now installed it and had a go at the settings, adding in details to save the backups to Dropbox and FTP to another server. I understand I need to set up a cron, but I can’t see what code I should use from the settings on the page. Here is a pdf of the page… http://www.sippclub.com/video/backupsettings.pdf

Please could you take a quick look to see I’ve set it up correctly and let me know what cron I should use.

Thanks.

Brian

Posted: Tuesday Feb 5th, 2013 at 5:39 am #40839
Ronnie

Hi Brian.

You can see my setup here: http://www.sofshop.dk/wpBackup.pdf
Compare my settings to yours, and see how it works out for you :)

You can see how I set up my CRON in the top to the right.

Posted: Tuesday Feb 5th, 2013 at 6:00 am #40843
Ronnie

And when you have set it up, run a backup job by clicking Run Now. Then download the backup thats created, unzip it, and see if everything is backed up as it should be. If it is, leave and forget it untill you need it!

I noticed that you have 0 defined in how many backups to keep. You might want to change this to something like 20, 30 or something.. If you leave it at 0, it will keep all backups for ever and you will run out of space at some point :)

Posted: Tuesday Feb 5th, 2013 at 8:49 am #40856
Brian Bennis

Dear Ronnie

Thanks for the help. I’ve done as you say and run a manual test, opened it and found it worked perfectly. The only thing I haven’t done is set up the cron job. Previously on other software, I’ve had to add a command to the cron jobs section in my cpanel. But looking at the wordpress dashboard summary, it indicates I have an active ‘job’ coming up tomorrow. I assume the backup will happen automatically and I won’t have to enter my control panel to set it up. Is that right?

Brian

Posted: Tuesday Feb 5th, 2013 at 9:15 am #40857
Ronnie

It sounds about right :)

I can help you over Teamviewer if youd like.
You can contact me at ron.gunny@gmail.com

Posted: Tuesday Feb 5th, 2013 at 11:55 am #40860
Brian Bennis

Thanks Ronnie. I’ll see what happens tomorrow morning and if it backs up, then I’m sorted.

Posted: Wednesday Feb 6th, 2013 at 3:16 am #40898
Brian Bennis

Hi Ronnie, it all backed up perfectly, so thanks for that. Brian

Posted: Wednesday Feb 13th, 2013 at 11:33 pm #41641
Staff Member

@ Brian Bennis

Details received. Thank you!

Investigating now.

Posted: Wednesday Feb 13th, 2013 at 11:39 pm #41643
Staff Member
I believe that we may have a lead on this issue.
I’m investigating now, but I’ll reply shortly with further details.
Posted: Thursday Feb 14th, 2013 at 1:02 am #41663
Staff Member

Thanks for your patience.

We have identified the underlying cause of this issue. A fix is in place for the next maintenance release. If you’d like to upgrade ahead of time, please download the latest development copy of the s2Member® Framework and upload it via FTP. See: http://downloads.wordpress.org/plugin/s2member.zip

The fix for this issue is in the s2Member® Framework. So updating your copy of the s2Member® Framework to the latest development release should correct the issue for you. The issue being numeric Usernames were causing s2Member confusion. s2Member® was passing that value to WP_User(), which considers numeric Usernames to be User IDs; resulting in a failure to redirect — reverting to the default WP behavior, which lands a User/Member on the Dashboard Profile page instead of what is expected w/s2Member. This incompatibility will be fixed in the next maintenance release of s2Member®.

See also: Dashboard -› s2Member® -› General Options -› Member Profile Modifications

Posted: Thursday Feb 14th, 2013 at 4:19 am #41684
Brian Bennis

Dear Jason

Thanks for finding the issue. There’s been an update to S2Member today dated 130213, which I’ve just uploaded. Is this the one with the fix in it?

Brian

Posted: Thursday Feb 14th, 2013 at 8:51 am #41695
Staff Member

Thanks for the follow-up :-)

No, please look for this to come later today in the release of s2Member v120214.

Viewing 25 replies - 26 through 50 (of 53 total)

This topic is closed to new replies. Topics with no replies for 2 weeks are closed automatically.

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Contacting s2Member: Please use our Support Center for bug reports, pre-sale questions & technical assistance.