latest stable versions: v150827 (changelog)

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Authentication by IP?

Home Forums Community Forum Authentication by IP?

This topic contains 8 replies, has 4 voices. Last updated by  Bruce 4 years, 2 months ago.

Topic Author Topic
Posted: Wednesday Oct 3rd, 2012 at 3:03 pm #27356

Hi, Curious to know if it is possible to allow access by authenticated IP rather than by a username and password? One of our larger clients wants to provide us with an IP range to use rather than a username/password. Not even sure if something like this is possible…

And, I’d still like to maintain the ability for u/p login for our other clients.

Completely impossible? …Or just a major pain to pull off?

Thanks!

List Of Topic Replies

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
Author Replies
Author Replies
Posted: Thursday Oct 4th, 2012 at 6:51 am #27402

Hi Geoff.

I really don’t know… And the login is still handled by WordPress, not s2Member. I’d look for a plugin that may do what you’re asking. I hope there’s one you can use.

If you don’t want the user to have an account, though, then maybe you could sell them access with the Specific Post/Page restriction, which takes the IP into account too (for the Unique IPs restriction), but the access is given based on the link used, which includes the authentication. Video » s2Member (Specific Posts/Pages)

I hope that helps. :)

Posted: Friday Oct 5th, 2012 at 4:56 pm #27602
John Potter
Username: johnp

I have a client who needs this feature as well.

He runs a legal journal, and has found that big firms, institutions and libraries expect automatic login based on IP address.

There is a plugin which claims to be able to do this, but the support forum for User Access Manager , which does not seem to be monitored by the plugin author, suggests that it only works with old versions of PHP and may also be broken in recent versions of WordPress.

Is it possible to incorporate this into s2member?

Posted: Saturday Oct 6th, 2012 at 5:32 am #27630

Thanks for the reply, and your thoughts on this Cristián. Looks like I might not be the only one looking for something like this! I agree with John, it’s those larger clients who are wanting auto-login via IP. Having something like this built into s2member would be incredibly powerful (I’d love to get Jason’s thoughts on this). Admittedly, I haven’t had much time to research this in the capacity that I’d like, but I did come across this plugin which just may fit the bill…John I’m sure this’ll be of interest to you:

http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/restricted-site-access/

As I say, I have not had a chance to work with the plugin yet or test it, but it sounds very promising. But there very well could be better solutions available. If John (and others who are interested in this issue) can report back their findings on this thread so we can all help each other, that would be fantastic! Hive mind!

Cheers gents!

Posted: Saturday Oct 6th, 2012 at 7:27 am #27639

Thanks for the input, guys.

Jason and I already talked about such a feature, or very close to it, some months ago when designing the new s2Member that’s been in development. I don’t have the specifics of what Jason ended up implementing lately, but I’ll make a note about it to ask, or at least look for when I get my hands on a beta of it in the future. ;)

Posted: Tuesday Oct 9th, 2012 at 5:23 pm #27931
Bruce
Username: Bruce
Staff Member

Hi there,

In the meantime, you can use the hack I posted to do this as well through PHP:

Knowledge Base » Automatic Login Based on IP

Moved to: http://www.s2member.com/forums/topic/automatic-login-based-on-ip/

• This reply was modified 4 years, 2 months ago by  Bruce.
Posted: Wednesday Oct 10th, 2012 at 5:51 am #27968

Bruce, that looks absolutely awesome, thanks so much for posting this! I haven’t had a chance yet to try it out but it looks very simple and straightforward to implement. Thanks again! I will now happily buy you as much beer as you like :)

Posted: Wednesday Oct 10th, 2012 at 10:37 pm #28070
Bruce
Staff Member

Bruce, that looks absolutely awesome, thanks so much for posting this! I haven’t had a chance yet to try it out but it looks very simple and straightforward to implement. Thanks again! I will now happily buy you as much beer as you like :)

No problem! I’ve been meaning to add this hack for awhile now. Let us know if you have any issues with it! :-)

Posted: Thursday Nov 8th, 2012 at 12:27 am #30997
Bruce
Staff Member

BUG REPORT:

Moved the KB to the Unofficial Hacks/Extensions forums

Fixed a bug where users could not download things from s2Member because it was on the ‘init’ hook. Please change line 18 within your copy of the hack from ‘init’ to ‘plugins_loaded’

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

This topic is closed to new replies. Topics with no replies for 2 weeks are closed automatically.

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Contacting s2Member: Please use our Support Center for bug reports, pre-sale questions & technical assistance.