latest stable versions: v150827 (changelog)

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

echeck cancellation didn't disable account

Home Forums Community Forum echeck cancellation didn't disable account

Tagged: 

This topic contains 14 replies, has 4 voices. Last updated by  Jason (Lead Developer) 3 years, 12 months ago.

Topic Author Topic
Posted: Thursday Jan 3rd, 2013 at 7:34 am #36098
Tom
Username: halasyt

Hi,
I think the subject said it all :-)

We had someone pay with an echeck, and it was cancelled 5 days later, but s2member didn’t take the subscription role away. Logically it should have been.

Is this a bug or maybe the IPN didn’t come through?

Thanks
Tom

List Of Topic Replies

Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
Author Replies
Author Replies
Posted: Friday Jan 4th, 2013 at 11:35 am #36166
Eduan
Username: Eduan

Hello Tom,

What payment provider were you using at the time? s2Member isn’t integrated with a payment provider that has electronic checks, I believe…

– Eduan

Posted: Friday Jan 4th, 2013 at 4:49 pm #36188
Tom

Hi,
We are using normal PayPal, you can accept echecks there. But I think this is only for the USA, I’m not sure they use checks anywhere else.
Tom

• This reply was modified 4 years ago by  Tom.
Posted: Saturday Jan 5th, 2013 at 2:34 pm #36306
Eduan
Username: Eduan

Ah I see. I think the problem is that s2member is not integrated with PayPal eChecks. s2Member does not mention eChecks any where in it’s documentation and code I think.

– Eduan

Posted: Monday Jan 7th, 2013 at 5:31 am #36433

s2Member can receive payments from a checking account if it’s a funding source in the PayPal account… Here’s a quote from a chat I had with Jason some time ago:

Jason said:

Auth.Net… no, no checks. They do have a service that allows for the acceptance of checks, called eCheck.net, but we don’t support it, and we never will. I’ve worked with it in the past, and there are MANY issues, so I don’t even want to make that option available.

PayPal allows for checks. Or, ACH debits really. A PayPal account can be connected to a checking account, so that payments via PayPal Buttons or through Pro Forms with Express Checkout are actually funded by a checking account.

Yes, this works with Pro Forms also, so long as PayPal Express Checkout is offered as the solution for any customer that wants to pay by check (i.e. please signup for a PayPal account and connect that to your checking account).

I hope that helps.

Posted: Monday Jan 7th, 2013 at 10:45 am #36461
Tom

Yes, s2 can receive PayPal echecks and act on them, but my question was why it doesn’t act accordingly on a cancelled recheck. Echecks take about 5 days to clear, and the customer is promoted to the given role at the moment of signup, not when the echeck clears. This isn’t that big of an issue, since most customers won’t try to game the system with this, but we just had one that did.

I would say that 1 in 20 customers pay by recheck, so it is not super common, bit they do exist.

I’m guessing this is probably a bug in s2, so in the next update, please make s2 act on cancelled echeck ipns as well.

Thanks
Tom

Posted: Tuesday Jan 8th, 2013 at 5:37 pm #36621

Thanks for the info, Tom. I’ll ask Jason about echecks with PayPal and their cancellations as you mention.

Posted: Tuesday Jan 8th, 2013 at 5:51 pm #36628

Do you have logging enabled? Are there any entries in the logs for the echecks that didn’t clear? I’d like to know if PayPal is telling s2Member at all when that happens.

Do you have any way to do a test purchase with an invalid echeck to try getting it logged so you don’t need to wait for it to happen naturally?

Posted: Tuesday Jan 8th, 2013 at 8:24 pm #36655
Staff Member

Thanks for the heads up on this thread.

I’m reviewing this thread now. I’ll post a reply for you shortly :-)
Posted: Tuesday Jan 8th, 2013 at 10:49 pm #36674
Staff Member

Thanks for your patience.

Yes, s2Member will handle IPNs sent from PayPal in response to a failed eCheck payment. If this is not working on your installation, let’s begin by taking a quick look at your IPN log files. Please submit those privately through this form: s2Member® » Private Contact Form

It’s common for an eCheck to pass s2Member initially, even if it’s in a PENDING state while you’re waiting to see if the check clears. s2Member will grant the customer immediate access and hope for the best. Short of making an online member wait 4-7 days before we grant them access, that’s all we can do :-) It works best on most sites.

In the event the eCheck fails to clear, the customer will lose access, and PayPal sends the customer a notification about their eCheck having failed to clear against the transaction on your site.

Again, if this is not working properly for you (i.e. customer access is NOT being terminated when you expect they would be), we’ll be happy to review your log files and provide you with an explanation, or a solution.

Posted: Wednesday Jan 9th, 2013 at 4:03 am #36694
Tom

Thanks for the reply!

There is no problem with s2 giving access right away, it’s just the cancelled eCheck thing that bothers me, it should have revoked access as you said.

Where can I find the IPN log file you mentioned? I can’t see it on my PayPal account nor s2 admin area anywhere.

Posted: Wednesday Jan 9th, 2013 at 7:50 am #36737

You’ll find the logs here: /wp-content/plugins/s2member-logs/.

Posted: Friday Jan 11th, 2013 at 2:30 am #36919
Staff Member

@Tom

Thanks for the follow-up :-)

Please note that logging MUST be enabled for you to have log files. You can go to:
Dashboard -› s2Member® -› PayPal® Options -› Account Details -› Logging
and turn it on there please.

Wait a couple days, then send us the log files privately via this contact form.
s2Member® » Private Contact Form
/wp-content/plugins/s2member-logs/… sends us all files in this folder please.

Posted: Friday Jan 11th, 2013 at 5:12 am #36943
Tom

I was disabled until now, so I don’t have any logs of the eCheck cancellation IPN unfortunately.

Posted: Saturday Jan 12th, 2013 at 6:03 am #37111
Staff Member

Thanks for the follow-up :-)

OK. No worries. With logging enabled now, if this happens again, please update this thread and I will personally take a look for you. You can submit your log files privately using this form: s2Member® » Private Contact Form

Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

This topic is closed to new replies. Topics with no replies for 2 weeks are closed automatically.

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Contacting s2Member: Please use our Support Center for bug reports, pre-sale questions & technical assistance.