latest stable versions: v150827 (changelog)

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Group Accounts

Home Forums Community Forum Group Accounts

This topic contains 10 replies, has 2 voices. Last updated by  Colin Prior 4 years, 10 months ago.

Topic Author Topic
Posted: Friday Mar 2nd, 2012 at 11:43 am #7080

List Of Topic Replies

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
Author Replies
Author Replies
Posted: Friday Mar 2nd, 2012 at 6:16 pm #7113

Hi Colin.

Yes, we’re working on this. :)

Posted: Friday Mar 2nd, 2012 at 8:27 pm #7128

Great minds think alike :)

Good to hear, thanks!

Colin

Posted: Friday Mar 2nd, 2012 at 9:08 pm #7134

:)

The way I thought it could work is that an account is given a certain number of accounts it can share the access with and these child accounts would inherit the access the parent has. Uses and IPs limits would be shared between the accounts. The parent and child accounts would still be able to have their own access that isn’t shared, too.

Would love to know how you’d like to set up your group access. Would the above be something you can work with or are there certain things you’d like being able to do that you don’t see mentioned there?

Posted: Saturday Mar 3rd, 2012 at 10:11 am #7168

Hi Cristián

Here are my thoughts on features as you request.

– Child accounts must have a reference to the parent account.
So you can find them in reports and searches
– The Child accounts are identical to a normal account except they have the parent reference.
– Child accounts can have any access level equal to or lower than the parent.
For example a master account is say Level 7 a child can be 7, 6,5,4,3,2,1, or 0
The level for each child is assigned by the parent.
– Downloads: The administrator can assign elect if the downloads are per user or per group.
For example each child and the parent can have 100 downloads each. Or the whole group can have 500 downloads
– The Parent can see either the download count per child, or the total downloads (nice to have both)
– The administrator can assign how many child accounts a parent has. (this is a little like some Governments lol)
– The parent creates the child accounts via his/her profile where there is an add Child Account button they fill in the details and there is a dropdown to choose the Level for the account.
– The parent has the ability to modify the child account profile but other than the password the child does not.
– If you want to get granular you may want to design it where the child accounts can create infant accounts. This helps with large organizations that have Departments or Divisions.

I think that will do it for me. Hope that helps.

Colin

Posted: Saturday Mar 3rd, 2012 at 2:18 pm #7181

Thanks for the great input.

Most of it would be possible the way I was thinking about it. I had not thought of giving the parent control over the child’s profile though. I was thinking about every account being its own, and only the content access being shared. So parent and child would only be in terms of shared access.

I had not thought it necessary, nor do I think it’s ideal, that the parent can go edit the child’s profile. Could you explain how this would be desirable, good or even acceptable?

Posted: Monday Mar 5th, 2012 at 12:00 pm #7345

If the account is being used within a business as our are. Its important that the parent and stake holder has full control and visibility of the child accounts.
In our case the Parent is the Senior System Admin pays for the account and assigns the child accounts to the sys-admins (children) to download applications. The Senior Sysadmin needs visibility on who downloads what and what access the sys-admins have, they will also suspend and replace the child accounts as needed when the sys-admins depart their position and are replaced by new employees.

In the case where a parent and child are being used within a social group like a club, then yes your correct there is not so much of a need for the parent to have such granular control, but even then, its still typical for the Main admin to have full control over the child accounts to fix any issues that may arise.

Posted: Monday Mar 5th, 2012 at 5:15 pm #7356

Thank you.

I can understand what you’re saying, but isn’t that done by the parent managing the access the children have? Is it required for the parent to have access to the account as if it were his? I don’t think he does.

As long as the parent can give and take access and see what use the child did of the access, that seems enough.

I still don’t see how letting the parent have full control of the child’s account, edit his profile and such, would be necessary. Could you please give examples of this?

Posted: Monday Mar 5th, 2012 at 5:40 pm #7358

Well the reality is that if the Admin has full control of the user name, email address and password they have full control anyway as they can simply login as the user and change whatever they like :-)

I agree they don’t necessarily need to have full access to the profile within the application, but they do need to change the email address and user name and be able to reset the pwd.

Posted: Monday Mar 5th, 2012 at 5:59 pm #7359

OK, I understand now.

You’re basically thinking that the access is tied to the account and to prevent the user from using that access, he has to be prevented from getting into that account.

The way I’m thinking it is that access is something added to the account, and can be taken away. So the user can keep his account, but you’d be in control of the access you granted him, and can take away from him if you want.

Good, I think that what he have in mind will work then.

Thanks for your feedback!

Posted: Monday Mar 5th, 2012 at 7:42 pm #7362

Correct :-)

Bingo, every one a winner :-)

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

This topic is closed to new replies. Topics with no replies for 2 weeks are closed automatically.

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Contacting s2Member: Please use our Support Center for bug reports, pre-sale questions & technical assistance.