latest stable versions: v150827 (changelog)

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Non-incremental Access – Pre-registered Users

Home Forums Community Forum Non-incremental Access – Pre-registered Users

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices. Last updated by  Bruce 3 years, 5 months ago.

Topic Author Topic
Posted: Friday Jul 26th, 2013 at 2:22 pm #54168
Amy Winder
Username: awinder

I need to set up a members-only website that offers news to customers in various categories. These customers already pay for the service on another platform, and we invoice them through our existing system, so we don’t need to use the PayPal or another payment gateway.

We have multiple “categories” of news that stations can pay for. There are probably 10-15 different categories (Missouri State News, Nebraska State News, Entertainment News, etc.), and they are purchased a la carte. That means the regular “incremental access” setup doesn’t work for what we’re doing We need it to be non-incremental.

It looks like it’s possible to use custom capabilities to do this, but I’m a little confused about how to set that up outside of tying it to the Paypal gateway. I’d be willing to enter each new customer myself, but I’m not sure how to best accomplish that. Your documentation is so great that I am having a hard time keeping it all staight! So any help you could give me would be great. Thank you!

List Of Topic Replies

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
Author Replies
Author Replies
Posted: Friday Jul 26th, 2013 at 4:56 pm #54176
Amy Winder
Username: awinder

After researching a bit more, I may have a solution, and I’d love some feedback. Here’s my current plan…

1. Use a custom capability for each category of news we offer. There will probably be 10-15 of these.

2. Create a subscriber-level account for each user, and in the “custom capabilities” field, list the categories I want them to access. Some subscribers might have access to 1 category, and some might have access to 10?

3. When posting a new article, type the appropriate category in the “require custom capabilities” field. For example, an entertainment story would get the word “entertainment,” if that’s what I’ve called that category.

4. Edit functions.php to check for access to each of the 10-15 categories I create, as shown in one of your tutorial videos.

If this is on the right track, I think I’ll have solved my problem, assuming I can follow the instructions on editing the PHP, and assuming it’s not a problem to check for 10-15 different categories and give each user access to a unique combination of those categories, based on how they’ve paid.

Posted: Wednesday Jul 31st, 2013 at 2:04 am #54459
Bruce
Username: Bruce
Staff Member

Thank you for your inquiry.

Sorry for the delay. We missed this topic over the weekend.

After researching a bit more, I may have a solution, and I’d love some feedback. Here’s my current plan…

Yes that sounds like it would work for you.

As for restricting access to your categories based on Custom Capabilities, you might use s2Member’s Advanced PHP Conditionals with the WordPress is_category() function. With this you can create a Must-Use Plugin that can restrict your Categories based on Custom Capabilities. As an example, here’s an example that would restrict access to any Post / the Archive Page for a Category with an ID of 9:

http://wordpress.org/plugins/wp-show-ids/

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

This topic is closed to new replies. Topics with no replies for 2 weeks are closed automatically.

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Contacting s2Member: Please use our Support Center for bug reports, pre-sale questions & technical assistance.