latest stable versions: v150827 (changelog)

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Stopping (human) registration spam

Home Forums Community Forum Stopping (human) registration spam

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices. Last updated by  Sarah Hills 3 years, 10 months ago.

Topic Author Topic
Posted: Monday Jan 28th, 2013 at 4:55 am #39760

Hi,

Does Akismet work with S2 Member? I.e. can it be used to stop spam registrations?

If not, is there an alternative solution? The problem is with ‘human’ as opposed to automated spam, so CAPTCHA/quiz question/hidden field are not going to be effective…

Thanks,
Sarah

List Of Topic Replies

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Author Replies
Author Replies
Posted: Monday Jan 28th, 2013 at 5:10 am #39761

Have been doing some more digging. From what I can make out, Akismet does not check for spam user registrations.

There is however a plugin Stop Spammer Registrations Plugin which does appear to check against the Akismet DB (as well as others) for registrations as well as other stuff.

Does anyone have any experience of using this with S2Member? Or any suggested alternatives?

Thanks

Posted: Tuesday Jan 29th, 2013 at 8:43 pm #39951
Bruce
Username: Bruce
Staff Member

Thank-you for your inquiry.

Have been doing some more digging. From what I can make out, Akismet does not check for spam user registrations.

There is however a plugin Stop Spammer Registrations Plugin which does appear to check against the Akismet DB (as well as others) for registrations as well as other stuff.

No, I don’t believe that Akismet checks user registrations. I’m not familiar with the Stop Spammer Registrations Plugin, either. However, it does look like it would work correctly with s2Member, assuming that you are using PayPal Buttons.

If, however, you are using s2Member’s Pro Forms, you may run into issues unless the plugin is directly integrated to s2Member, because s2Member’s registration within Pro Forms is not done through the /wp-login.php?action=register page.

Posted: Wednesday Jan 30th, 2013 at 4:21 am #39995

Thanks Bruce.

The website is using s2Member’s Pro Forms.

So am I right in thinking that the Pro Forms don’t have an effective built in anti-(human)-spam mechanism, but also are unlikely to integrate with 3rd Party anti-spam plugins?

If so, it seems like this is an area that needs some urgent attention. Unless of course there is another solution that I have missed.

Given that the plugin I mention above is able to check against the Akismet DB for registrations, I would assume that s2Member could do something similar??

Thanks,
Sarah

• This reply was modified 3 years, 11 months ago by  Sarah Hills.
Posted: Saturday Feb 2nd, 2013 at 3:46 am #40333
Staff Member

Thanks for the heads up on this thread :-)

s2Member Pro Forms are normally used for checkout, where a payment is being accepted. It’s a common practice not to run spam checks against payment information, simply because one would assume that payment information is enough to qualify them as a customer in most cases.

Where Free Registration Forms are exposed, we provide a pre-integrated solution that interfaces with Google’s reCAPTCHA service. This can be activated by adding the following Shortcode Attribute.

s2Member® -› PayPal Pro Forms -› Shortcode Attributes (Explained)
captcha="clean" When you set this Attribute, visitors must prove they’re human by typing a captcha/security code. Possible values: 0 = do NOT require a captcha code on this Form; clean = DO require a captcha code on this Form; using the clean theme style. Possible theme styles include: red, white, clean, and blackglass. This service is powered by Google’s reCaptcha system.
If you would like to integrate something more, you would either need custom code that connects to one of s2Member’s Hooks/Filters; or a plugin that accomplishes this in ways that’s compatible with s2Member® Pro Forms.

I’m not aware of any others besides the Stop Spammer Registration plugin, and this plugin is NOT compatible with s2Member® Pro right out-of-the-box, it requires an additional file for compatibility.

After installing the Stop Spammer Registration plugin…

Please create this directory and file:
/wp-content/mu-plugins/s2-ssr-compat.php
(NOTE: these are MUST USE plugins, see: http://codex.wordpress.org/Must_Use_Plugins)
(See also: http://www.s2member.com/kb/hacking-s2member/)

<?php
add_action('plugins_loaded', 's2_pro_stop_spammer_registration_compatibility1');
function s2_pro_stop_spammer_registration_compatibility1()
	{
		if(has_action('init','kpg_load_all_checks'))
			{
				remove_action('init','kpg_load_all_checks');
				add_action('init','kpg_load_all_checks', 2);
			}
	}
add_filter('option_kpg_stop_sp_reg_options', 's2_pro_stop_spammer_registration_compatibility2');
function s2_pro_stop_spammer_registration_compatibility2($options)
	{
		return array_merge($options, array('accept' => 'N', 'chkreferer' => 'N'));
	}
add_action('init', 's2_pro_stop_spammer_registration_compatibility3', 1);
function s2_pro_stop_spammer_registration_compatibility3()
	{
		if(empty($_POST)) return;
		foreach($_POST as $key => $value)
			if(strpos($key, 's2member_pro') === 0)
				{
					if(!empty($_POST[$key]['email']) && empty($_POST['signup_email']))
						$_POST['signup_email'] = $_POST[$key]['email'];
					if(!empty($_POST[$key]['username']) && empty($_POST['signup_username']))
						$_POST['signup_username'] = $_POST[$key]['username'];
				}
	}

Now you’re good. Please report any problems in this thread.

Posted: Tuesday Feb 12th, 2013 at 1:20 pm #41578

Hi Jason,

Many thanks for the reply and the code you supplied. Sorry for late reply – for some reason I didn’t get the email notification for your update.

I will try the code out and report back with the results…

Thanks,
Sarah

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

This topic is closed to new replies. Topics with no replies for 2 weeks are closed automatically.

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Contacting s2Member: Please use our Support Center for bug reports, pre-sale questions & technical assistance.