latest stable versions: v150827 (changelog)

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

User/Member Export CSV is Garbled

Home Forums Community Forum User/Member Export CSV is Garbled

This topic contains 9 replies, has 3 voices. Last updated by  Cristián Lávaque 4 years, 10 months ago.

Topic Author Topic
Posted: Thursday Feb 23rd, 2012 at 1:07 pm #6132
Nigel
Username: nduckworth

Using PHP 5.3.5 and WP 3.3. Recently upgraded to Pro version in order to be able to export user custom field data. However when I export and open the file Excel says “File is not a recognizable format…” and on opening the file it is garbled.

Appreciate any help on this. Thanks!

List Of Topic Replies

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
Author Replies
Author Replies
Posted: Friday Feb 24th, 2012 at 3:46 pm #6318

That’s odd.

Could you please email us a copy of the file you exported, please? Use the private contact form: http://www.s2member.com/contact/

What program where you trying to open it with?

Posted: Friday Feb 24th, 2012 at 6:34 pm #6353
Nigel

I’ve tried two different computers and two different versions of MS Excel, latest being 2007, same result. I’ve sent the .csv file – there should be 15 rows of user data in there. Thanks for looking into it.

Posted: Friday Feb 24th, 2012 at 7:27 pm #6366

Thanks.

I don’t see it in the inbox yet, so I don’t know what happened. I just emailed you directly, could you please reply to it with a new copy of the file?

Sorry for the trouble. :)

Posted: Tuesday Feb 28th, 2012 at 2:41 am #6651

Just saw the file. Thanks for sending it! Yeah, it’s all messed up.

Have you tried exporting again?

Have you tried re-installing s2Member? s2Member® » Pro » Install/Upgrade Instructions

In case it’s a plugin conflict, although I haven’t seen one with the export tool yet, have you tried deactivating other plugins and then export?

I’m gonna email Jason, maybe he has an idea of what could cause this.

Posted: Tuesday Feb 28th, 2012 at 9:19 am #6663
Nigel

I have tried exporting a few times from two different computers. I have not tried reinstalling or deactivating other plugins, I will try that. Thanks.

Posted: Tuesday Feb 28th, 2012 at 1:45 pm #6673

I am experiencing the same problem. Gibberish in the export file.

Posted: Tuesday Feb 28th, 2012 at 3:25 pm #6680

I just heard back from Jason, I asked him what he thought the problem was, I guessed maybe an output compression issue and he agrees. This is what he told me:

Yea, that looks like the server is configured with some sort of PHP-based output compression, or is running on a server that’s unable to detect the MIME type served via PHP. This is the same issue that was affecting file downloads on some servers before we implemented the .htaccess exclusion recently. I should have included the exportation files in that .htaccess rule as well, just to avoid this issue.

Since I didn’t, we’ll have to deal with this on a case-by-case basis for now. In this case, I’d recommend that she make the following adjustment in s2Member.

[hilite mono]/s2member-pro/includes/classes/exports-in.inc.php[/hilite]
at line #239 find this:

header ("Content-Encoding:");

Change that to:

header ("Content-Encoding: none");

That’s actually invalid, but seems to work as a quick hack in many cases. The better solution is the .htaccess rewrite rule, but it’s not possible to do that with export files just yet. I’ll take care of that asap. If that doesn’t work, we’ll need to know more about the hosting environment (i.e. running Apache? if so, is GZIP enabled? if so, how exactly, mod_deflate?).

Could you provide that info? Also, try that hack and see if it fixes the issue.

I hope that helps.

Posted: Tuesday Mar 6th, 2012 at 9:45 am #7445
Nigel

Cristián,

I just tried changing the header encoding to “none” as Jason suggested and that worked for me, not perfectly as some formatting is messed up, but I can work around that for now. Thanks.

Posted: Tuesday Mar 6th, 2012 at 5:04 pm #7502

Great. Thanks for the feedback. :)

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

This topic is closed to new replies. Topics with no replies for 2 weeks are closed automatically.

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Contacting s2Member: Please use our Support Center for bug reports, pre-sale questions & technical assistance.