latest stable versions: v150827 (changelog)

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Visitors blocked from BBpress why

Home Forums Community Forum Visitors blocked from BBpress why

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices. Last updated by  Cristián Lávaque 3 years, 7 months ago.

Topic Author Topic
Posted: Wednesday May 15th, 2013 at 5:02 pm #50031
Allan
Username: allan_trreg

S2 is a very good plugin and we are happy with the capabilities, however.

In order to create a dynamic and interesting site it is important that vistors are allowed to view the contents of our forum.

At the same time the default Spectate/participate role for newly registered users is NOT wanted because it results in a lot of spam.
Newly registered users should therefore only be allowed to view the Forum just like visitors, but not allowed to post anything before becoming a real member meaning level 1 or above.

Using Capability Manager Enhanced I managed to remove the role “participate” from the subscriber role.

However removing “Participate” role still allows a newly registered user to post. so I am wondering what I am doing wrong here?

Since S2 claims to be BBpress “Ready” I would like to see some options to alter the default roles that are assigned as a “hardcoded” part of S2 Member for BBpress. Are there any plans to add that functionality to S2 memeber in the near future?

List Of Topic Replies

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
Author Replies
Author Replies
Posted: Friday May 17th, 2013 at 8:53 pm #50150
Eduan
Username: Eduan

Hello Allan,

s2Member only provides support for bbPress with it’s URI restrictions. You can find them under Dashboard -› s2Member® -› Restriction Options -› URI Access Restrictions. If I’m not mistaken. Besides a sync with the database I think.

– Eduan

Posted: Friday May 24th, 2013 at 4:47 pm #50566
Allan
Username: allan_trreg

Hi Eduan,

Thanks for your reply. It seems I have mixed things up a little. There is a standard user role that can be assigned in BBpress 2.3.2 so that new users are only allowed to “spectate”. This means they will not be allowed to post anything but can read in the forum.

This is exactly the functionality I was looking for.

However upgrading a new member to S2 – Level 1 does NOT change the forum role role so even after becoming a “real” member it seems they stay with the forum role of “spectator” which is not good because members should have additional rights assigned automatically.

The fact that the BBpress role seems static does that mean I will have to update forum roles manually? Meaning their genneral site role AND their Forum role has to be updated separately. I hope not…

The documentation that confuses me is under “S2 other Integrations” where I found this:

*** Quote:

Membership Levels provide incremental access:

* A Member with Level 4 access, will also be able to access Levels 0, 1, 2 & 3 (plus spectate/participate in bbPress® Forums).
* A Member with Level 3 access, will also be able to access Levels 0, 1 & 2 (plus spectate/participate in bbPress® Forums).
* A Member with Level 2 access, will also be able to access Levels 0 & 1 (plus spectate/participate in bbPress® Forums).
* A Member with Level 1 access, will also be able to access Level 0 (plus spectate/participate in bbPress® Forums).
* A Subscriber with Level 0 access, will ONLY be able to access Level 0 (plus spectate/participate in bbPress® Forums).
* A public Visitor will have NO access to protected content (and no special access to bbPress® Forums).

*** End quote

If I could make a wish I would like the following functionality:

The Standard role set in BBpress should be followed no matter what.

When a user is upgraded to S2 level 1 or higher he should at the same time get the Forum role of “Participant”. (If not set to participant already or he has a higher role already for instance key-master or similar)

A public visitor should have acces to the forum page unless access is restricted with the normal restriction tools which on the other hand shold work for the forum page.

Ideally the above settings should be configurable from the S2 member plugin settings page.

It could be a cofiguration mapping each S2 member level custom capabilities for instance covering bbpress roles.

/Lars current Web master…

Posted: Friday May 24th, 2013 at 11:55 pm #50613

Hi Lars.

The current integration with bbPress is described in that section you quoted from, there’s no extra feature for it yet, and we don’t have something new planned for it soon. Video » s2Member (bbPress Bridge Integration)

I’ll forward your feature request to the development team.

What you can try, is edit the s2Member roles to add the capabilities that the bbPress roles you mention would have, but I haven’t tested this myself to confirm if it’d work the way you want.
http://wordpress.org/plugins/user-role-editor/
Knowledge Base » Locking s2Member Roles/Capabilities

Posted: Friday May 31st, 2013 at 5:12 am #50991

Here’s what Jason said:

One way to deal with this, is as follows.

– Leave the s2Member® defaults like they are.
– Integrate WordPress® Conditional tags into your bbPress theme.
– Use Custom Capabilities to prevent access where you like.

[hilite pre_code]

Display post form.

[/hilite]

See: Video » s2Member (Custom Capabilities)

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

This topic is closed to new replies. Topics with no replies for 2 weeks are closed automatically.

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Contacting s2Member: Please use our Support Center for bug reports, pre-sale questions & technical assistance.