latest stable versions: v150827 (changelog)

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Yearly renewal of free membership?

Home Forums Community Forum Yearly renewal of free membership?

This topic contains 7 replies, has 2 voices. Last updated by  Cristián Lávaque 4 years, 8 months ago.

Topic Author Topic
Posted: Tuesday Apr 17th, 2012 at 6:20 am #10987

Hi

I am developing a site for a client and are planning to use s2Member Pro (for premium support)

The site is a community for young people and the membership is free. But the organization gets funding to run the site based on its members. So…

The following function are a must:
– When a a member registers (for free) a user with role”can post in forum” is created and timer is set. When a year has passed the member is dowgraded to role “cant post in forum” and have to confirm the membership again to be upgraded to “can post in forum”. The confirmation take place when the member logs in. It would be great if a mail is sent to the member after a year asking to log in and confirm membership.

The following function are on the wishlist:
A function to by a command check how many active members(specific role) that exists and list them in backend or/and on a front-end page. This function allows the organisation to once yearly create a list and get the corresponding founds for the amout of members.

I have this system installed inplace:
WP 3.3.1
bbPress 2.0.2 for forum functionality
s2Member framework 120309 (free for testing)

Is it possible to get this functionality with s2Member in some way? (yearly renewal function for free membership). I know that the function exists if the member pays for a “premium” membership but that is not wanted here.

If not can you please give me any tips to fix this functionality?

List Of Topic Replies

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
Author Replies
Author Replies
Posted: Wednesday Apr 18th, 2012 at 6:03 am #11088

Hi Torbjörn.

That’s not something that’s in our to-do list but, at the same time, I’m not sure it’s needed.

If the confirmation happens because the user logs in, and he needs to confirm in order to post, then just limit posting ability to logged in users, then he will have no choice but log in.

I don’t know if bbPress lets you limit posting to logged in users only, but if it does, then that’s it.

And if what you need to know if what users are active because they logged in, then have another plugin that tracks logins and use that to monitor it. s2Member tracks logins, but it’s still not very advanced and doesn’t have an interface, this is something we’ll be improving soon.

I hope that helps. :)

Posted: Wednesday Apr 18th, 2012 at 7:04 am #11097

Hi and thanks for your answer.

Maybe S2 is not the way to go but i have to ask one more thing.

I saw your answer i this forum about free membership:
http://www.s2member.com/kb/offering-paid-member-registration-for-free-using-pro-forms/

My plan was to have a S2 stup like this.

1. A new user comes to the site and can view everything but not post in the forums. To post the user have to register. The registration takes place and a free userlevel is set to 1 when registration takes place using http://www.s2member.com/kb/offering-paid-member-registration-for-free-using-pro-forms/. The membership is automatically set to 1 year.
I also red this on the same topic: http://www.primothemes.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=934
And here:
http://www.s2member.com/forums/topic/renewing-membership/
“You can also have a conditional in the Login Welcome page to check when the user was a paid user but is now a free one, and show him a customized message to upgrade again. Dashboard -› s2Member® -› API / Scripting”

2. After one year has passed the member is canged to user level 0 (still member but cannot post in the forum)
The next time the user logs in (after a year has passed) a membership of level 1 is set again and posting in forum is allowed.

I have red the documentation and cant see what happens in S2 after a membership period is over? Is a mail sent out or is the member faced with a renewalform the next time the member logs in?

Is this scenario doable with S2?

Posted: Wednesday Apr 18th, 2012 at 6:40 pm #11164

Yeah, you can set up something like that.

Once the EOT time comes, then EOT Auto Behavior is triggered. [hilite path]Dashboard -› s2Member® -› PayPal® Options -› Automatic EOT Behavior[/hilite]

Set that to demote and the Level 1 user will be brought down to Level 0 on EOT. In the Welcome Page have a conditional that checks if the user is Level 0 and if so, change his role back to Level 1. Knowledge Base » Changing Roles/Capabilities via PHP

I think that does what you want, right?

Posted: Thursday Apr 19th, 2012 at 3:42 am #11192

Thanks for your time and patience Cristián.

Yeah this is what i want. I can see two cases on welcome page after EOT. And i will choose the case that is the most easy to implement.
1. On the welcome page there is a button that says “Give me membership for one more year”
2. A automatic conditional that checks level and change role to 1.
Is 1 a more simple solution to implement?

What functionality in my solution demands a Pro version?
As i see it it’s the ability to set a free membership to more than level 0 (Pro Forms). Confirm please.

Is it possible to try this functionality out before i buy the pro version? A little hard to see the whole process?
I’m thinking that i can do a manual registration of a new member at level 1 and then trigger a EOT manually for that member to level 0. Then log in with that member again and have a button on welcome page to bumb up membership to level 1. Can this be done? If yes, how should i produce the link for the button?
If this cant be done, well i just have to buy the pro version an keep my fingers crossed ;-)

Posted: Thursday Apr 19th, 2012 at 11:25 pm #11314

Either of the options, button or conditional, to upgrade the account back to 1 would be fine, since either could trigger the role change.

Right, the pro-form is needed to allow for a free registration at Level 1 with an EOT time set. No, we don’t have a trial.

If you need to implement the custom code above, if you don’t know enough to do it yourself, you can find good developers at sites like jobs.wordpress.net.

I hope that helps. :)

Posted: Friday Apr 20th, 2012 at 7:35 am #11364

OK
I will have a go with S2. It seems like a great product and i hope that it will solve my functionality.
Buy S2 Member Pro – Check!
Set up solution – In progress…. (I do have some coding skills so i will bite the bullet)
Se ya in the Pro forums.
Have a great day

Posted: Friday Apr 20th, 2012 at 11:03 pm #11441

Great! Thanks. Let us know if you need help. :)

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

This topic is closed to new replies. Topics with no replies for 2 weeks are closed automatically.

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Contacting s2Member: Please use our Support Center for bug reports, pre-sale questions & technical assistance.