latest stable versions: v150827 (changelog)

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

All Restricted Posts Showing

Home Forums Community Forum All Restricted Posts Showing

This topic contains 13 replies, has 4 voices. Last updated by  Cristián Lávaque 4 years, 3 months ago.

Topic Author Topic
Posted: Tuesday Sep 25th, 2012 at 11:03 am #26436

Hi,

all my ‘restricted’ posts are visible on my website regardless of member level. In WordPress admin created posts are shown as restricted. All other parts of the installation appear to be fine.

Level 0 is free and level 1 is free also.

Is there a dummies guide, 123, ABC, checklist available so I can see if I have missed something?

26-09-12: I have edited the post to clarify the question as I have not had any sort of response in the last 18 hours. However, as a paying customer, I would expect at least a request for clarification and an attempt to start helping me get this sorted. I wasted most of yesterday trying to resolve this by reading docs, faqs and watching videos. So, a timely response would be appreciated.

• This topic was modified 4 years, 3 months ago by  Paddy Ogee.
  • This topic was modified 4 years, 3 months ago by  Paddy Ogee.

List Of Topic Replies

Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
Author Replies
Author Replies
Posted: Wednesday Sep 26th, 2012 at 4:03 am #26521
Raam Dev
Username: Raam
Staff Member

Hi Paddy,

Did you make sure you were logged out when you were testing things?

Have you configured a Membership Options Page (Dashboard -› s2Member® -› General Options -› Membership Options Page)?

How are you restricting your posts? If you’re using Dashboard -› s2Member® -› Restriction Options, can you tell us exactly what you’ve entered in there?

If you can link us to a post that should be restricted, that would also be helpful.

And finally, to rule out the possibility that something is conflicting with s2Member, could you please try deactivating all other plugins and switching to the default TwentyEleven theme to see if that fixes the problem?

Posted: Wednesday Sep 26th, 2012 at 6:13 am #26532

Thanks for the reply Raam. Just to answer your questions.

I did make sure I was logged out.

I have configured two membership options pages and referred to one of them in the Membership options page. (I have two. One for each free level that will be invite only) – No payments involved.

I restricted the posts initially by choosing the option level in the actual post edit/creation section admin using the dropdown on the right. However, I noted that the ids were automatically dropped into the General Option > Restriction Options > Post Access Restrictions section with the correct id’s.

I have deactivated plugins and switched to the default theme and still have the same problem.

I can give a url, but would prefer not to post on a public forum?

Posted: Thursday Sep 27th, 2012 at 1:54 am #26647

I really need to resolve this. I am up against a deadline today. I need more than one reply every other day. Can we progress this?

Posted: Thursday Sep 27th, 2012 at 12:12 pm #26711

Do I really need to keep complaining about the lack of response/support? I am pretty appalled at the lack atm.

Would someone please pick this up?

Posted: Thursday Sep 27th, 2012 at 8:32 pm #26776
Raam Dev
Staff Member

Paddy,

Support threads here are answered in the order of last response, so posting multiple times kept putting you at the bottom of the queue.

Regarding your issue: There are no obvious reasons that I can think of why restricted posts would not be restricted when viewed. s2Member has been thoroughly tested and definitely works, so there is likely something else going on with your hosting setup. It’s possible that you have a strange server configuration that is causing this issue.

What web host are you using?

Also please download this Server Check Tool, upload the PHP file to your WordPress directory, and then load the URL to the file in your browser. It will run a bunch of tests to determine if there’s anything amiss on the server-side.

Finally, if you can also submit your site info using the Private Contact Form, we’ll see if we can figure out what’s going on.

Posted: Friday Sep 28th, 2012 at 12:28 pm #26859

Thanks Raam,

Support threads here are answered in the order of last response, so posting multiple times kept putting you at the bottom of the queue.

OK, but that doesn’t take away from the fact that I didn’t actually add to the post until after 20 hours. And, I can think of a number of ways to query a database and get back threads that are not complete and where the client was the last to reply.

Anyway, the server test script threw up a safe_mode problem which was great. However, it didn’t resolve the s2member problem. I appreciate that it has been tested and tested, which is why I asked for some 1,2,3 basic post setup.

Anyway, I have now sent off the site details as per your last para.

Thanks for the help.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 3 months ago by  Paddy Ogee.
  • This reply was modified 4 years, 3 months ago by  Paddy Ogee.
Posted: Saturday Sep 29th, 2012 at 8:01 am #26934

Hi Paddy.

all my ‘restricted’ posts are visible on my website regardless of member level.

I tried accessing the post protected at Level 1 while logged out, and got properly sent to the Membership Options page. So the restriction works.

When you say that the posts are visible, do you mean in the home page or an archive (e.g. category)? If so, then you can use the “more” tag, so that only a portion of the post (up to the more tag) gets show before being linked to the actual post. http://en.support.wordpress.com/splitting-content/more-tag/

Or you can use the Alternative Views Protection to prevent the posts from even being listed in those page. [hilite path]Dashboard -› s2Member® -› Restriction Options -› Alternative View Protection[/hilite]

I hope that helps. :)

Posted: Saturday Sep 29th, 2012 at 9:23 am #26949

Thanks for that Cristián. Yes this is the same for me now.

Which is really interesting because, I really want to be able to block the existence of a post to anyone not properly logged in to the correct level.

Say I want to title a post ‘10% Discount For Platinum Members’ I really dont others to know this might even be possible (fictitious case :-) )

So, I am just generally browsing I don’t want unauthorised people to see the post at all? Anywhere.

Posted: Saturday Sep 29th, 2012 at 8:47 pm #26985
Raam Dev
Staff Member

Hi Paddy,

s2Member will restrict access to posts and pages by themselves, but how and where WordPress displays information about those posts/pages is all determined by your WordPress theme.

The WordPress archive pages (including the home page that lists the latest posts, category archives, tag archives, etc.) are all special WordPress pages. s2Member doesn’t touch those because there are endless possible scenarios for how you might want to display protected content.

If you want to entirely hide protected posts (i.e., no titles, no excerpts, no summaries, etc.), then you would need to modify your WordPress theme to use some of s2Member’s Advanced Query Conditionals (Dashboard -› s2Member® -› API / Scripting -› Advanced Query Conditionals). Hiding any indication of protected posts from anyone who doesn’t have access will require extensive modifications to your WordPress theme.

Posted: Monday Oct 1st, 2012 at 7:16 am #27049
Buck
Username: stephenbuck415

I have a question inspired by this topic.

If I have an unrestricted post, and place the [s2If is_user_logged_in()] code within that post, will the s2If content be restricted, or not?

Posted: Monday Oct 1st, 2012 at 8:13 am #27063

Yes, you’re protecting that content with the conditional. The whole page remains unrestricted, it’s just that content you wrapped with the conditional that is affected.

Posted: Tuesday Oct 2nd, 2012 at 10:38 am #27216

OK, conditionals work well for me. Thanks for the feedback.

Posted: Tuesday Oct 2nd, 2012 at 4:02 pm #27253

Cool. :)

Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

This topic is closed to new replies. Topics with no replies for 2 weeks are closed automatically.

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Contacting s2Member: Please use our Support Center for bug reports, pre-sale questions & technical assistance.