latest stable versions: v150827 (changelog)

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Still Please check permissions, all set

Home Forums Community Forum Still Please check permissions, all set

This topic contains 21 replies, has 2 voices. Last updated by  Martijn Agteres 3 years, 5 months ago.

Topic Author Topic
Posted: Monday May 27th, 2013 at 4:14 pm #50721

I’ve installed Quick cache in domainnaam.nl/intranet, and get the warning:

Could NOT enable Quick Cache. Please check permissions on /wp-config.php, /wp-content/ and /wp-content/cache/. Permissions need to be 755 or higher.

In DirectAdmin I ‘ve set the 755 permissions in domain.nl/public_html/intranet, domain.nl/public_html/intranet/wp-content and domain.nl/public_html/intranet/wp-content/cache. Still I get this error.

Which steps can I take to make this plugin work?

List Of Topic Replies

Viewing 21 replies - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
Author Replies
Author Replies
Posted: Wednesday May 29th, 2013 at 2:01 pm #50857
Eduan
Username: Eduan

Hello Martijn,

Could you try what Jason says in this post:
http://www.s2member.com/forums/topic/cannot-get-quick-cache-to-work-no-mutex-lock/#post-42218

– Eduan

Posted: Wednesday May 29th, 2013 at 2:56 pm #50866

Thanks for your reply. There were no files in that folder, and the permissions on [domainname]/public_html/intranet/wp-content are set on 755.

So sadly this is not the solution.

Posted: Friday May 31st, 2013 at 11:54 am #51059
Eduan

Have you set the 755 permissions on the /wp-config.php file? This file is in the same place as the wp-content folder, in other words they’re both located at the root of your WordPress install.

– Eduan

Posted: Friday May 31st, 2013 at 12:24 pm #51062

Yes, wp-config.php has 755 permissions.

Posted: Sunday Jun 2nd, 2013 at 2:21 pm #51188
Eduan

That’s strange. Could you please try these common trouble shooting tips:
Knowledge Base » Common Troubleshooting Tips

– Eduan

Posted: Wednesday Jun 5th, 2013 at 3:27 pm #51424

Sure, these are the results:

Conflicting Plugin
When I deactivated all plugins the issue persists.

Conflicting Theme
With the theme Twenty Twelve the issue persists.

Server Configuration
Everything seems ok, see this PDF. I’ve changed the memory allocated to PHP to 64M, this was 40M.

Outdated Installation
All the plugins and WP itself are up to date

Have I checked all the necessary things?

Posted: Friday Jun 7th, 2013 at 2:45 pm #51625
Eduan

That’s strange… Could you try just re-installing Quick Cache?

Do you have any other cache plugins besides Quick Cache?

– Eduan

Posted: Saturday Jun 8th, 2013 at 1:40 pm #51681

I’ve reinstalled it but that doesn’t help. Quickcache is the only caching plugin I use…

Posted: Thursday Jun 13th, 2013 at 6:55 pm #51907
Eduan

Hmm… don’t know what else it could be… OH! Try chown, you used chmod to give it the right permissions, now make sure it’s owned by the right user. ;)

If that doesn’t work…

Could you try making another new installation of WordPress (in the same server) and see if it works there?

If it doesn’t, could you try with another server? If it works there then it’s an issue with your server.

If none of this works then I am completely out of ideas. :/

– Eduan

Posted: Friday Jun 14th, 2013 at 12:48 am #51924

On one of my other sites (same host) Quick cache runs fine.

I don’t know how to use CHOWN, when I chose ‘Reset owner’ in DirectAdmin I get the following error ‘An error occured while resetting the file ownership’. Details isn’t clickable.

What could this mean? I get the same error on my other sites.

Posted: Sunday Jun 16th, 2013 at 10:03 pm #52022
Eduan

Ah so you’ve been doing this stuff through a cPanel or through the command line? You should do this stuff through the command line (aka terminal BTW)…

You would change permissions with sudo chmod 755 wp-config.php wp-content wp-content/cache and you would change user with sudo chown [your unix username] wp-config.php wp-content wp-content/cache.

Again, this is through the command line/terminal.

– Eduan

Posted: Wednesday Jul 3rd, 2013 at 4:34 am #52937

Ok…
I don’t know how to do this and if it’s supported by my hosting company, so I asked them a question on their forum. I’ll come back to you If I have a reaction.

Posted: Friday Jul 12th, 2013 at 1:01 pm #53360

The hosting company wants to investigate this case further (they’re also puzzled), but I have found a solution, sort of.

I’ve installed the plugin withing the WordPress installation of our intranet.

Today I found out that I don’t get the error if i give the cache folder as wp-config.php in the directories /public_html/intranet and /public_html 777 rights. When I change one of these three I get the error again.

To put everything on 777 seems a bit risky to me. Do you agree?

Posted: Friday Jul 12th, 2013 at 3:11 pm #53362
Eduan

Yes it is risky and not recommended at all. That gives any able hacker full and total access to whatever has 777 permissions.

– Eduan

Posted: Saturday Jul 13th, 2013 at 2:16 am #53373

That’s what I thought. I’ve set the persissions back to 755 and wait for the replay of my hosting company.

Strange that the error disappears if I set the permissions to 777.

Posted: Saturday Jul 13th, 2013 at 3:39 pm #53407
Eduan

I’m just thinking… Perhaps the user WordPress uses doesn’t have the right permissions.

This is the only thing that comes to mind now to be honest. I’m not sure if WordPress even uses a different Unix user, but it’s worth looking into once we run out of options…

– Eduan

Posted: Sunday Jul 14th, 2013 at 2:38 am #53418

That could be the case but I’m administrator (more permissions aren’t possible… ;-), so I don’t think that’s the problem.

Maybee my hosting company has an idea, let’s wait for that. Thank you for all your help so far!

Posted: Sunday Jul 14th, 2013 at 12:34 pm #53430
Eduan

No problem. Hope your server providers can help you, because I’m out of ideas. ;)

Posted: Thursday Jul 18th, 2013 at 11:54 am #53640

The problem is solved!! My hosting company moved the site to another server, now there are no errors anymore… :-)

Posted: Saturday Aug 3rd, 2013 at 9:11 pm #54948
Eduan

Great! Glad you found the source of the problem, and fixed it. :)

Posted: Sunday Aug 4th, 2013 at 1:34 am #55054

I’m glaad too! :-)

Viewing 21 replies - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

This topic is closed to new replies. Topics with no replies for 2 weeks are closed automatically.

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Contacting s2Member: Please use our Support Center for bug reports, pre-sale questions & technical assistance.