latest stable versions: v150827 (changelog)

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

teaser content, protected content and seo

Home Forums Community Forum teaser content, protected content and seo

This topic contains 8 replies, has 3 voices. Last updated by  cassel 3 years ago.

Topic Author Topic
Posted: Saturday Dec 14th, 2013 at 9:59 am #61926

Hey…Once again…
I have website with like 100 pages restricted by s2 only to logged in users (level 0 members).

What I am making now is copy of these pages available to every user, of course much shorter…but each of it with “read more” etc. links…that would be my teaser content..I have 2 menus in wordpress setup , one is available for everyone, the second is only to registered users (and thus, the pages have the same conditional on that secon menu)….So I am making now my first wordpress menu with teaser content and “read more” etc links….
My question: is there any way to allow search engines bots (like google for example) to scan and view content all of my pages/posts, even of the pages that are restricted only to logged in users ? I think it would be better for seo (Am i right ?) to allow google to check how much content inside I have..and I have lots of it ;-)

any trick on that ? like http user agent ? anyone tried it ? is it safe ;-) ? or will I get hammered by google quickly…..

List Of Topic Replies

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
Author Replies
Author Replies
Posted: Saturday Dec 14th, 2013 at 12:01 pm #61929
cassel
Username: cassel

Short answer is no. What is protected from viewers is also protected from google search.

Now, you look like you are probably making more work for yourself by making copies of those pages. You can protect the content in the same page. You can have something like this:

This can be the first paragraph of the article that is protected and… (here you can have a “More” linked to your registration page
[s2If is_user_logged_in()]
this would be the rest of the article that will be only visible to those who are logged in.
[/s2If]

Did you try that?

Posted: Saturday Dec 14th, 2013 at 5:43 pm #61937

maybe I will try it…anyway… with conditionals like that google also wont see rest of page ? If I understand it correct ? (is_user_logged_in)……

+ I would have to add other conditional to avoid members seeing link “more”… !is_user_logged_in… So it looks like that it is also work ;-) and also no benefits for SEO….

Posted: Saturday Dec 14th, 2013 at 6:23 pm #61938
cassel

Once you have your conditional shortcode, you will just do the copy and paste, so you can do this:

This can be the first paragraph of the article that is protected and…
[s2If !is_user_logged_in()]MORE [/s2If]
[s2If is_user_logged_in()]
this would be the rest of the article that will be only visible to those who are logged in.
[/s2If]

As for SEO, maybe you can use the All In One SEO and fill in the information there. I am not 100% sure it works as well, but it sure would work better than no SEO at all.

• This reply was modified 3 years ago by  cassel.
Posted: Sunday Dec 15th, 2013 at 2:17 am #61943

Thanks ;-)

Posted: Monday Dec 16th, 2013 at 4:41 pm #61960

Cassel

I like your approach but does that mean that the search engines can index the whole page?
That would be a nice one because if that is so then I can use it for sure.

Boudewijn

Posted: Monday Dec 16th, 2013 at 7:00 pm #61973
cassel

From what I was told in the past, what is protected in any way, is also protected from Google, so that would not be used for SEO.

Posted: Monday Dec 16th, 2013 at 11:26 pm #61985

Hmmm, I see. In that case it is way simpler to protect the blog page/post with the s2 widget and after the teaser/intro put a more tag.
For non-subscribers make a subscriber options page and mark that in the s2settings.
Any non-subscriber clicking the more tag are automatically redirected to the subscribers option page.

Posted: Monday Dec 16th, 2013 at 11:31 pm #61987
cassel

That approach might work. I never tried it because I use conditionals and ccaps just about everywhere on my site, so that is the one suggestion I can offer, but I guess you might have another alternative, maybe even better than mine. It is nice to have options and see which one suits one’s situation the best :)

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

This topic is closed to new replies. Topics with no replies for 2 weeks are closed automatically.

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Contacting s2Member: Please use our Support Center for bug reports, pre-sale questions & technical assistance.