latest stable versions: v150827 (changelog)

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Access by Custom Post Type & Secure PDF URL

Home Forums Community Forum Access by Custom Post Type & Secure PDF URL

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices. Last updated by  Bruce 3 years, 6 months ago.

Topic Author Topic
Posted: Saturday Jun 15th, 2013 at 1:01 pm #52004

Is S2 Member suitable for a members-only site with confidential content but no need for payment handling? The priorities I have are:
#1 – Custom Post Type Support – Some member levels have access to everything for a particular post type. Others have access based on a value in a custom taxonomy. (ex. employees have more access than partners and managers have more access than employees). Levels differ by custom post type.
#2 – Custom Field Support – In some cases a role will have access to all the content for a post type based on 1 keyword in a custom field pick-list. (field employees only have access to a “final report” and not a “draft report” or “confidential report”. I rely for custom fields and not tags for this to precisely control what is entered (using a pick-list) vs a tagging style.
#3 – Safe URL for Uploaded files (mostly .PDF) – I need to make sure there is protection for a case where an employee leaves the company and has a link to a confidential .PDF file. If they don’t have an active username/password they should not be able to access the .PDF via the link they do have (or can guess at).
Thanks for your comments.

List Of Topic Replies

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
Author Replies
Author Replies
Posted: Tuesday Jun 18th, 2013 at 12:38 pm #52118
Bruce
Username: Bruce
Staff Member

#1 – Custom Post Type Support – Some member levels have access to everything for a particular post type. Others have access based on a value in a custom taxonomy. (ex. employees have more access than partners and managers have more access than employees). Levels differ by custom post type.

You can restrict a Custom Post Type with this section of your Dashboard based on Membership Level. There is documentation on how to do that here:

Dashboard -› s2Member® -› Restriction Options -› Post Access Restrictions

#2 – Custom Field Support – In some cases a role will have access to all the content for a post type based on 1 keyword in a custom field pick-list. (field employees only have access to a “final report” and not a “draft report” or “confidential report”. I rely for custom fields and not tags for this to precisely control what is entered (using a pick-list) vs a tagging style.

s2Member lets you show different Custom Registration/Profile Fields based on Membership Level. You can use this functionality to decide when to show different fields.

#3 – Safe URL for Uploaded files (mostly .PDF) – I need to make sure there is protection for a case where an employee leaves the company and has a link to a confidential .PDF file. If they don’t have an active username/password they should not be able to access the .PDF via the link they do have (or can guess at).
Thanks for your comments.

You can use s2Member’s Basic Download Restrictions to get this working. It will require that a User be logged in to allow downloads.

Posted: Wednesday Jun 19th, 2013 at 11:57 am #52219

Hi Bruce … Thanks for your helpful reply. I’ll do some experiments. If you have a chance can you expand on answer #2 on custom fields. is the flexibility whether or not to show the field (ex some kind of premium content) or can it also be to not show the post/page at all to some members based on the entry in the field? Ex. if a custom field entry says “draft report” I only want certain people to see the post. More people can see late when the field changes to “final report”.

Posted: Wednesday Jun 19th, 2013 at 2:54 pm #52236
Bruce
Username: Bruce
Staff Member

Hi Bruce … Thanks for your helpful reply. I’ll do some experiments. If you have a chance can you expand on answer #2 on custom fields. is the flexibility whether or not to show the field (ex some kind of premium content) or can it also be to not show the post/page at all to some members based on the entry in the field? Ex. if a custom field entry says “draft report” I only want certain people to see the post. More people can see late when the field changes to “final report”.

If you check out this section of your Dashboard with s2Member installed, you’ll see the generator for these fields:

Dashboard -› s2Member® -› General Options -› Registration/Profile Fields

The option that you’re changing here is this one. It only works with Membership Levels, and it’s a straightforward if a User is this level, they can see this form:

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

This topic is closed to new replies. Topics with no replies for 2 weeks are closed automatically.

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Contacting s2Member: Please use our Support Center for bug reports, pre-sale questions & technical assistance.