latest stable versions: v150827 (changelog)

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Add sales tax to my confirmation email

Home Forums Community Forum Add sales tax to my confirmation email

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices. Last updated by  Bruce 3 years, 6 months ago.

Topic Author Topic
Posted: Wednesday Jun 19th, 2013 at 4:33 pm #52242

I looked under Pay Pal Options> Specific Page/Post Confirmation Email (Pro Form) and I don’t see a replacement code to break out the tax for my customers in the replacement code section.

My current products are exempt from collecting sales tax in most states but there are a few exceptions. Could you tell me if the confirmation e-mail automatically reports ‘tax’ to the customer (broken out) or does the default e-mail just report total amount charged?

If the sales tax isn’t already indicated .. how would I make that happen in the email?

Thanks

List Of Topic Replies

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Author Replies
Author Replies
Posted: Thursday Jun 20th, 2013 at 2:57 am #52275

The signup confirmation email doesn’t specify the tax, that I know. And there isn’t a replacement code for it. Maybe it’s mentioned in the description (%%item_name%%) when it gets added dynamically to the total, but I haven’t tried it.

I’ll ask Jason about it and tell you what he says when I hear back from him.

Posted: Thursday Jun 20th, 2013 at 8:29 am #52291

Thank you. I assure you that this function is very important and I know it’s a complex issue.

Being able to display that function is important for compliance and accurate reporting with Dept of Revenues that require vendors to submit sales tax and Use tax returns. Without being able to break down the sale, accounting programs can’t accurately make calculations for reporting purposes to the Department of Revenue. As it stands now, unless you find to the contrary, this would force a compliant company to manually break out each transaction by hand. How are your existing clients dealing with this issue?

Furthermore, when use tax is applicable, the customer needs a clear indication that ‘no tax’ was collected by the vendor. There are also several States that require vendors to provide certain disclosures on their website at ‘checkout’ and or in their electronic order confirmations. To make matters worse ‘annual total sales’ notices to each residence and to the Department of Revenue must be reported by these States. THIS WOULD BE A NIGHTMARE without some accommodation for detailing whether zero tax was collected or not.

Once again, thanks for your assistance.

Posted: Friday Jun 21st, 2013 at 6:22 am #52320

Jason just got back to me on this, and said:

Any of the variables that are passed by PayPal; or proxied through (for other gateways integrated w/ s2Member); are available in PHP code. Awhile back we added support for PHP tags in email subject lines and messages.

If you want the tax that comes from PayPal on certain transactions, you would use this in your email message configured in the Dashboard for s2Member.

<?php echo $paypal['tax']; ?>

This works w/ all Pro Form integrations as well. If tax applies, it will be available in the email message via that PHP tag.

You can get a list of all variables in the PayPal array by processing a test email w/ something like this.

<?php print_r($paypal); ?>

See: [hilite path]Dashboard -› s2Member® -› PayPal® Options -› Signup Confirmation Email -> PHP[/hilite]

Posted: Friday Jun 21st, 2013 at 7:46 am #52334

Could you tell me where I add the code… to my e-mail? Seems logical that I should place it after ‘charges today’ but I don’t know enough about which code is parsed first.

Here’s what I currently use:

Thanks %%first_name%%! Your subscription has been approved.

%%item_name%%

Subscr. ID: %%subscr_id%%
Charges today: $%%initial%%
Recurring charges: $%%recurring/regular_cycle%%

Posted: Friday Jun 21st, 2013 at 11:49 pm #52361
Bruce
Username: Bruce
Staff Member

Could you tell me where I add the code… to my e-mail? Seems logical that I should place it after ‘charges today’ but I don’t know enough about which code is parsed first.

It shouldn’t matter to s2Member where you put this code. You can put it anywhere you feel it belongs. :-)

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

This topic is closed to new replies. Topics with no replies for 2 weeks are closed automatically.

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Contacting s2Member: Please use our Support Center for bug reports, pre-sale questions & technical assistance.