latest stable versions: v150827 (changelog)

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Alert User of Level Restriction Violation

Home Forums Community Forum Alert User of Level Restriction Violation

Tagged: , ,

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices. Last updated by  Donald01 Karr 4 years, 8 months ago.

Topic Author Topic
Posted: Saturday Apr 14th, 2012 at 5:17 pm #10821
Donald01 Karr
Username: drkarr

When a user attempts to access a page in violation of a level restriction, I would like a popup to clarify the violation and what he needs to do to gain access. Are there any plugins to deal with this? Other alternatives?

List Of Topic Replies

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Author Replies
Author Replies
Posted: Saturday Apr 14th, 2012 at 5:58 pm #10823
Eduan
Username: Eduan

Hello there, thanks for your inquiry.

The s2Member Membership Options page works for this purpose.

You can configure it under Dashboard -› s2Member® -› General Options -› Membership Options Page.

You can also learn more about the membership options page in this video by Jason Caldwell (Lead Developer):
Video » s2Member / General Options Overview

Hope this helps. :)

Posted: Sunday Apr 15th, 2012 at 12:42 am #10835
Donald01 Karr

Eduán, thanks for responding to my question. I re-viewed Jason’s video you referenced, but there was no clear indication of how I might achieve my goal. Maybe the use of conditionals offers an opportunity, but I need something a bit more definitive. Here is the picture I am thinking about: an unregistered user or a user with level 0 access attempts to access a page which requires level 1 or higher. As my site is currently configured, he is sent directly back to the Membership Options page. He now has two choices: he can mumble “g%^*&f*” and leave my site; or he can read the explanatory material that was there the last time he was on the current page and failed to read. This has happened even with sophisticated programmers! I want a popup window to appear (like a wet snowball in the face) and briefly explain what’s up, and provide a link to where he needs to go now. Is that doable through the Membership Options Page? If so, how? I will appreciate any additional thoughts you have on this. Thanks, Donald R. Karr

• This reply was modified 4 years, 8 months ago by  Donald01 Karr.
Posted: Sunday Apr 15th, 2012 at 10:11 am #10841
Eduan

Hello Donald, thanks for the follow-up.

I understand your goal now, this is currently not possible with the membership options page.

You will have to code this yourself, or hire somebody at sites like eLance.com.

I’ll see if Jason plans to add this soon, or at all.

Hope this helps. :)

Posted: Thursday Apr 19th, 2012 at 10:55 am #11245
Eduan

Hello Donald,
I asked Jason, and he says the following:

Hi Eduan. Thanks for forwarding this!

If they have a WP theme that allows such a thing, they can certainly accomplish this. However, it’s beyond the focus of s2Member I believe. Opening a Membership Options Page in a popup window is something that needs to be handled at the theme level :-)

The Membership Options Page is just a Page in WordPress. So it’s completely under the control of a site owner.

Hope this helps you. :)

Posted: Thursday Apr 19th, 2012 at 11:20 pm #11312
Donald01 Karr

Eduan and Jason,
I really appreciate your resolute efforts to solve problems for your subscribers. With regard to my initial question, here is my thinking as to why s2Member would be the logical source of guidance to answer it. First, the initial login screen is a modification of the standard WP login. Further, the user profile and revisions are also s2Member contributions. Access to published material is a function of s2Member “levels,” and a user is returned to the Membership Options page when attempting to access material for which his level is not authorized. It seems reasonable that a popup prompt to highlight this indiscretion (or error) is simply reinforcing an s2Member function that already exists. Anyway, thanks for your comments.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

This topic is closed to new replies. Topics with no replies for 2 weeks are closed automatically.

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Contacting s2Member: Please use our Support Center for bug reports, pre-sale questions & technical assistance.