latest stable versions: v150827 (changelog)

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Alternative to IP Address Restriction

Home Forums Community Forum Alternative to IP Address Restriction

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices. Last updated by  Jason (Lead Developer) 3 years, 11 months ago.

Topic Author Topic
Posted: Monday Feb 4th, 2013 at 11:27 am #40737

Has anyone explored other methods of restricting user logins to a few devices (besides IP address)?

I’m thinking of a solution similar to iTunes, Netflix, Microsoft Licensing. I believe they use something other than the IP address to identify a machine. That way, you don’t have to worry about whether someone has a dynamic IP address.

Mostly wondering if someone has already done this. If not, I may build my own, but my boss doesn’t want a huge custom programming bill, so I need to determine the scope of a change like this.

List Of Topic Replies

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
Author Replies
Author Replies
Posted: Tuesday Feb 5th, 2013 at 3:56 am #40821
Staff Member

Thanks for your inquiry. ~ We appreciate your patience :-)

I’m not aware of any cross-browser compatible way, other than what is discussed here (MAYBE).
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3385/mac-addresses-in-javascript

A MAC Address would seem like a logical alternative.
However, I’m not aware of any way to obtain this information reliably from within a browser.

Please let me know if you come up with something!

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)

This topic is closed to new replies. Topics with no replies for 2 weeks are closed automatically.

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Contacting s2Member: Please use our Support Center for bug reports, pre-sale questions & technical assistance.