latest stable versions: v150827 (changelog)

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Alternative View Protection on home page

Home Forums Community Forum Alternative View Protection on home page

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices. Last updated by  Jason (Lead Developer) 4 years, 8 months ago.

Topic Author Topic
Posted: Sunday May 6th, 2012 at 11:55 am #12766
m.starnes
Username: m.starnes

As with lots of WP sites, my home page displays the most recent posts. I turned Alternative View Protection on for all alternative views, which seems to work everywhere but on the home page. A post that is set to Level 2 or higher is visible but not accessible to anonymous visitors.

List Of Topic Replies

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Author Replies
Author Replies
Posted: Monday May 7th, 2012 at 8:29 pm #12857

You’ll need to use the “more” tag, so you the whole post isn’t shown in the listing.

Or change the homepage to a static page, that’d work too. [hilite path]WP Admin -> Settings -> Reading[/hilite]

I hope that helps. :)

Posted: Monday May 7th, 2012 at 8:41 pm #12858
m.starnes

Thanks for the reply but it doesn’t help. I consider the home page feed to be one of those “alternate views” that should be protected. I am trying to provide a link to a customer that should otherwise be invisible to others.

Thanks.

Posted: Monday May 7th, 2012 at 10:36 pm #12864

So you don’t want the post to be listed there at all? OK, I’ll check with Jason.

Posted: Tuesday May 8th, 2012 at 6:17 am #12900
m.starnes

Here is the use case:

Customer has purchased one of our books elsewhere and is coming to the site to download supplemental material. He is instructed to register on the site then answer some challenge questions. Doing so generates an email to the admin. The admin evaluates the answers then, if approved, provides customer with a Level 2 link with the actual download links.

Alternatively, we could email a link with a key but the key would have to be specific for his account. Is there a way to generate a key for a specific user?

Posted: Wednesday May 9th, 2012 at 1:52 pm #13066
Staff Member

As with lots of WP sites, my home page displays the most recent posts. I turned Alternative View Protection on for all alternative views, which seems to work everywhere but on the home page. A post that is set to Level 2 or higher is visible but not accessible to anonymous visitors.

I consider the home page feed to be one of those “alternate views” that should be protected. I am trying to provide a link to a customer that should otherwise be invisible to others.

Thanks for the heads up on this request for support.

Yes, s2Member does consider the home page to be one of your Alternative Views. The issue that you’re having, sounds to me like a theme compatibility problem. Perhaps your theme is pulling details from the database, for home page display, with the suppress_filters option enabled, which bypasses s2Member’s Alternative View filters. You might contact your theme developer, and see if they’ve used the get_posts() function, instead of the query_posts() function. The get_posts() function in WordPress suppresses all filters by default, and should be avoided for compatibility with s2Member’s Alternative View filters.

See also: http://codex.wordpress.org/Template_Tags/get_posts
See also: API functions that filter content with s2Member.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

This topic is closed to new replies. Topics with no replies for 2 weeks are closed automatically.

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Contacting s2Member: Please use our Support Center for bug reports, pre-sale questions & technical assistance.