latest stable versions: v150827 (changelog)

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

BB Press and S2 permission issues

Home Forums Community Forum BB Press and S2 permission issues

This topic contains 7 replies, has 2 voices. Last updated by  Bruce 3 years, 11 months ago.

Topic Author Topic
Posted: Wednesday Jan 9th, 2013 at 10:28 am #36773
Joe Auriemma
Username: vpjoe

I originally had a problem uploading images to the library. I’d get an http error in the library itself or I’d get redirected to an empty page with an Internal Server error. However, the images really were loading, just not displaying thumbs in the library.

Upon further digging, I found that the height and width parameters were not present in the library listing, even thought the image was there and featured images weren’t cropping.

I deactivated all my plugins and reactivated to see what might be affecting this. Deactivating BB Press fixed these two problems but gained me a third.

Here’s what I have now:

When I deactivate BB Press, I lose the ability to log into my site. I get a “you don’t have the necessary permissions” error. However, when I back up to the wp-admin window and then click on the “Back to site” link, I find I am actually logged in. But from there, I can only access the dashboard from a few of the dropdown options in the WP toolbar. Pick the wrong one and I get the permissions error.

So, now I can’t access my site as an admin unless BB Press is activated.

I have gone as far as making a new folder in my FTP and moving all my plugins to it so there are none in the site but still get the permissions error. Nothing makes that error go away except having BB Press present and active.

I found a link in the forum that looked like it might help me: http://www.s2member.com/forums/topic/uninstalling-s2member-causes-permission-issue/

I did the button step with my user roles but nothing changed. I tried to glean an answer from that thread but it’s beyond me.

This all began when I first attempted to fix the image issue. I deactivated all my plugins one by one and then tested my ability to upload images. A completely different plugin, when turned off, seemed to be the culprit (wp database backup) so I deactivated it and everything worked for one round of hope-filled bliss but it didn’t stay that way. When I reactivated all the plugins, the permissions issue went live.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

List Of Topic Replies

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
Author Replies
Author Replies
Posted: Friday Jan 11th, 2013 at 6:40 am #36949
Bruce
Username: Bruce
Staff Member

Thank-you for your detailed inquiry.

Unlike many other parts of WordPress, the user roles are set up non-statically (or not recreated every time WordPress runs). Therefore, when a plugin like bbPress and/or s2Member comes in and creates/edits user levels, these changes stick until the permissions are changed again.

What you need to do now is change your permissions back now. Note that to do this you’ll need access to your phpMyAdmin page, which should be available from your server’s control panel / back-end admin panel. You can use the steps below to do this.

This is very advanced, and if you are uncomfortable working with mySQL database tables and rows, you may want to find a freelance developer to fix this for you. We recommend http://elance.com/, http://jobs.wordpress.net/, and http://odesk.com/.
Deactivate All Plugins
Accessing the Database
Edit the Field
Test it Out

Please let us know if any problems persist after these steps are taken.

A similar phenomenon was reported in the WordPress forums here: http://wordpress.org/support/topic/lost-admin-privileges

The affected site owner used the permissions options row from another WordPress installation in a similar manner to the above.

To keep this from happening in the future, you may want to check out this article on Knowledge Base » Locking s2Member Roles/Capabilities.
In a recent version of s2Member, bbPress permissions were updated, check the s2Member® » Unified Changelog for details on this. If you are planning on reactivating bbPress in the future, make sure you have the most current version of s2Member installed before doing so.
Posted: Friday Jan 11th, 2013 at 10:03 am #37005
Joe Auriemma

Whew! OK. I pulled it off as you prescribed but nothing changed. Went into DB and updated wp_user_roles code with what you provided. As long as BB Press is active, I can login as admin but can’t manipulate images. They won’t load and featured won’t crop. Turn off BB Press and I lose access.

More info: I went into membership Levels/Labels. I had renamed levels 1 and 2 and I had picked “Yes, force WordPress® to use my Labels”. No reason. Just thought I should some time ago. Anyway, I switched that option to “no” to see if a change could be affected but none took place.

Based on your tip above, I also made the Must Use directory and file in FTP, which also had no effect but I am assuming it won’t do what it’s supposed to until I’ve fixed the first problem so, I wasn’t surprised there.

My version of S2 has always been current so that wasn’t it.

I’m open to try more! And thanks for the effort, thus far!

• This reply was modified 3 years, 12 months ago by  Joe Auriemma.
  • This reply was modified 3 years, 12 months ago by  Joe Auriemma.
Posted: Saturday Jan 12th, 2013 at 9:42 am #37130
Joe Auriemma

I discovered that your fix DID work but as soon as bbPress goes live, it overwrites the changes I made to wp_user_roles.

I deleted bbPress entirely, reupdated the once again overwritten code in wp_user_roles and then reloaded bbPress (keeping in mind that I’d already installed the MUST USE directory and file) and the problem returned. This makes me think that the Must Use addition is not working or I set it up wrong.

If there is not an easier way to fix this than what we’ve all been through together, then I am just going to go with another forum service. I’ll use a third party and work it in. Not worth my time to keep hammering away at this but, to be honest, I liked the integration and the avoidance of having to pay for forum capability. But, I’m maxed. Like Clint said, “A man’s got to know his limitations.”

I sincerely respect the time you took to help me. No disgruntlation here! Things happen. ;-)

Posted: Saturday Jan 12th, 2013 at 10:46 am #37132
Joe Auriemma

Interesting update. I uploaded Simple:Press. That went fine. I also tested my installation of MU Plugins and it works. Would not allow the button in Levels to do its thing.

Once SP went live, I got the same image upload issue. When I turned it off, image problem fixed but this time, no permissions issues.

So, I went into my database and unlike when bbPress was live, the wp_user_roles remained unchanged with SP being live. That too must mean something to you guys.

It seems I whittled the problem down: my database is no longer being overwritten, which keep the permissions issue from arising. But there is still something wiggy with the images going wrong when the forum goes live.

So, if there is no easy fix to this lesser problem, I will still have to somehow integrate a third-party hosted forum just to be done with this and keep, moving forward.

Thanks for any future considerations!

Posted: Saturday Jan 12th, 2013 at 1:36 pm #37147
Joe Auriemma

The Marine in me refuses to quit trying. ;-) Now I tried BuddyPress, as it’s already integrated into my theme, as well as S2, so…sweet. Same image problem. No permissions problem though. Something about these forums are fighting my image uploads and featured image crops functionalities.

Posted: Monday Jan 14th, 2013 at 11:53 am #37449
Joe Auriemma

FINAL UPDATE and VICTORY!

I decided to remove all traces of forums on my site. I did so, but was somehow left with the inability to preview posts without first publishing them. I also noticed that the permalink edit window would not appear until after publishing the post.

I tested all plugins and they were no longer the issue. No conflicts.

Seemed logical to me that I might still be dealing with permissions issues. Based on my minimal understanding of all this (you guys taught me a lot – thanks!), I figured a reset was in order.

So, I went into my FTP and got rid of the MU Plugin folder and file. I then chose “no” in the member levels regarding “force wordpress to use my labels” and then used the button reset again.

That did it. Posts now preview and I have permalink edit windows. Images upload properly and crop properly. I have regained full functionality of my site.

I found a workaround for my forum by using a plugin that shows categories on a page (very nice) and utilizing my comments as opposed to forum topic posts, etc. I added some widget functions to the sidebar that duplicate the basics found in any forum and the basics are all my list needs. My arrangement looks just like a forum but with nice pictures, something I did not know how to do in the forums.

The question remains: Now that I’ve got everything functioning again, would a forum integrate painlessly with the site? Don’t care to find out and I’m happy with the forum workaround that I invented. I feel like maybe a forum would work now but I have no more time, patience or courage left to try. I’m gray enough as it is. LOL

Thanks for your input guys!

• This reply was modified 3 years, 11 months ago by  Joe Auriemma.
Posted: Monday Jan 14th, 2013 at 4:09 pm #37526
Bruce
Username: Bruce
Staff Member

Thank-you for the detailed follow-ups

I decided to remove all traces of forums on my site. I did so, but was somehow left with the inability to preview posts without first publishing them. I also noticed that the permalink edit window would not appear until after publishing the post.

So, I went into my FTP and got rid of the MU Plugin folder and file. I then chose “no” in the member levels regarding “force wordpress to use my labels” and then used the button reset again.

I was unaware that you were forcing WordPress to use your labels. The information provided in my above reply assumed that this was not the case. I’m updating this now to reflect that this may cause issues.

The replacement value for the options row that I provided above did not take this into consideration. I’d like to

The question remains: Now that I’ve got everything functioning again, would a forum integrate painlessly with the site? Don’t care to find out and I’m happy with the forum workaround that I invented. I feel like maybe a forum would work now but I have no more time, patience or courage left to try. I’m gray enough as it is. LOL

s2Member does support integration with bbPress, as we use bbPress here at s2Member.com. If you do decide to reinstall bbPress remember to check out Dashboard -› s2Member® -› Other Integrations -› bbPress®, and update your Roles/Capabilities from this panel before you start changing bbPress settings.

If further issues arise, please let us know. We are currently unaware of any widespread issues regarding this, but we will keep an eye out for any other reports of issues with image functionality.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

This topic is closed to new replies. Topics with no replies for 2 weeks are closed automatically.

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Contacting s2Member: Please use our Support Center for bug reports, pre-sale questions & technical assistance.