latest stable versions: v150827 (changelog)

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Can't get it setup to work, unlikely to buy

Home Forums Community Forum Can't get it setup to work, unlikely to buy

This topic contains 13 replies, has 3 voices. Last updated by  Cristián Lávaque 4 years, 5 months ago.

Topic Author Topic
Posted: Wednesday Jul 18th, 2012 at 3:11 am #19572
Mick Dorn
Username: mjd

I have a fresh new install of WP/bbpress and s2Member® Multisite ( Configuration )

When I go to register and click complete to sign up, I get the message at the end to say:

You have successfully created your account! To begin using this site you will need to activate your account via the email we have just sent to your address.

But no new users in the system, no confirmation emails sent, nothing happens, I have setup multisite config and patched the system:

Your /wp-login.php file is patched.

Your /wp-includes/load.php file is patched.

Your /wp-admin/user-new.php file is patched.

Your /wp-includes/ms-functions.php file is patched.

I have set it to allow free open registration and level 0 – at this stage I do not want to setup memberships, I just want the module in and working so that when I’m ready to add membership levels and restrict pages I can without a complex security module going in and breaking the site later…

Can’t get the basic to work, can someone please help?

Thanks

List Of Topic Replies

Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
Author Replies
Author Replies
Posted: Wednesday Jul 18th, 2012 at 6:44 am #19609

Hi Mick.

The account activation thing is added by BuddyPress. Just as a test, if you deactivate BuddyPress and then register a new account, do you see the user in your Users list? Do you get the New User email sent by WordPress?

Posted: Wednesday Jul 18th, 2012 at 8:10 am #19627
Mick Dorn

Hi Christian, thanks for replying and helping.

Unfortunatly I cannot deactivate Buddypress, it’s installed in Multiblog/Multisite and weaved into my main and all my subsites, it would cause chaos :)

What are my other options?

Posted: Wednesday Jul 18th, 2012 at 5:18 pm #19666
Eduan
Username: Eduan

Hello Mick,

Well, I think you could make a total backup of your entire site and then deactivate Buddypress as Cristián said.

Hope this helps. :)

Posted: Wednesday Jul 18th, 2012 at 10:05 pm #19695

Oh, I just meant it as a test, to see if that’s where the problem is, not so you don’t use BuddyPress in your site anymore.

But if even a quick test would be a problem, you could create a new WP multisite test installation without BuddyPress to see how it the registration works without problems, then add s2Member, then BuddyPress and the rest of the plugins you’re using.

Posted: Thursday Jul 19th, 2012 at 2:52 am #19733
Mick Dorn

Ok, a slightly new turn of events, I have a developer thats been helping me, I suggested it might be the theme as we’ve had a few issues with it, he’s in a different country, he manages to register just fine, not issues, yet I try 5 different email accounts, hotmails, gmails, other domains, they all say ‘You have successfully created your account! ‘

But no emails turn up, when I check in user manager no new accounts, not even any that say pending (waiting for activation0

I’ve been looking at the restrictions, nothing jumps out at me!

So is the issue me??? I’ve tried multiple browsers, multiple emails, multiple usernames, multiple passwords… no sugar!

What am I missing with this new information?

Posted: Thursday Jul 19th, 2012 at 3:34 am #19736

Well, I don’t know. You can send me your site’s info to check it out, if you want. s2Member® » Private Contact Form

I’d still do the test starting with a clean WP installation and adding things one by one, testing after each step to spot when the problem starts.

Are you logged out completely when you try the registration? Although it can work even if you’re logged in, from my experience.

Are you using the BuddyPress registration form or an s2Member registration pro-form? [hilite path]Dashboard -› s2Member® -› PayPal® Pro Forms -› Free Registration Forms[/hilite]

Posted: Thursday Jul 19th, 2012 at 3:38 am #19738
Mick Dorn

Need to login there Cristian, trying before I buy atm, making sure it will work.

The developer tried another account and no issues, the site is , I don’t think it’s a conflict anymore… I’m not sure what it is now it seems to work for others, IP restriction was my main guess given it was just me, but now I’ve tried my phone through a different IP??

Let me know what you think

• This reply was modified 4 years, 5 months ago by  Mick Dorn.
Posted: Thursday Jul 19th, 2012 at 3:50 am #19740

Oh, I’m very sorry, completely forgot that the contact form is for those with a Pro license. You can email me, I’d like to try the registration and see what happens.

Posted: Thursday Jul 19th, 2012 at 4:34 am #19743

Thanks, Mick.

I went to your site, registered, got the activation email, activated the account and then logged in successfully without a problem.

I really don’t know why you are having that trouble and the rest isn’t… :/

One would think it’s an IP thing if you already tried different computers and browsers. Do you have a plugin installed that’d do something like that? The s2Member IP restriction would not behave like what you’ve described.

Posted: Thursday Jul 19th, 2012 at 4:48 am #19746
Mick Dorn

Hi Cristian, yes I got your registration notification, all fine! The mind boggles, I came to the same IP restriction conclusion, but trying it on my mobile should have bypassed that!

Quick question, I assume I would also see a new user that hasn’t confirmed there account in the user screen in wp-admin?

Or are unconfirmed users hidden?

I have no plugins that would restrict anything, s2member is all I have in that space.

Mick

Posted: Thursday Jul 19th, 2012 at 4:58 am #19747

Quick question, I assume I would also see a new user that hasn’t confirmed there account in the user screen in wp-admin? Or are unconfirmed users hidden?

I think they all show up in the Users list on the admin side, but BuddyPress only shows confirmed ones in the Members list on the public side.

Hi Cristian, yes I got your registration notification, all fine! The mind boggles, I came to the same IP restriction conclusion, but trying it on my mobile should have bypassed that!

Right… Maybe you’re doing something different from the rest? Can’t say what, though…

Why don’t you try using the s2Member free registration pro-form and test if you can register with that one? [hilite path]Dashboard -› s2Member® -› PayPal® Pro Forms -› Free Registration Forms[/hilite]

If you get a warning about PayPal not being configured (if that’s the case), then just enter fake credentials and the warning will go away, you only need real credentials when you’re using the payment pro-forms or buttons. [hilite path]Dashboard -› s2Member® -› PayPal® Options -› Account Details[/hilite]

Posted: Friday Jul 20th, 2012 at 8:34 pm #19864
Mick Dorn

Hi Cristian, it seems there is no issue as such, I have tried lots of email account registrations and it appears the issue is with domains I have with a certain host, I’ve been testing with 6 accounts I have of my own hosted with a host in the US, none of them receive emails, but others such as hotmail, gmail and custom domains not on my host work fine…

So, the reason this has taken so long to troubleshoot (as the issue appears to have only been that the confirmation emails did not come through) is that pending accounts do not show up in the Users interface, I just registered an account, got the email to confirm, but did not click it, viewed the Users and the account is not there, pending or anything…

I always thought you could view pending accounts, seems not (maybe a multisite thing) so I installed http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/user-activation-keys/ and I can now see all the accounts I’ve tried to register!

Many thanks for your continiued support and help

Mick

Posted: Saturday Jul 21st, 2012 at 8:24 am #19893

Thanks for the update and sharing how you solved it. I’m glad you found what the problem was.

Many thanks for your continiued support and help

You’re welcome! Glad I could help a bit. :)

Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

This topic is closed to new replies. Topics with no replies for 2 weeks are closed automatically.

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Contacting s2Member: Please use our Support Center for bug reports, pre-sale questions & technical assistance.