latest stable versions: v150827 (changelog)

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

changing WP table prefix

Home Forums Community Forum changing WP table prefix

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices. Last updated by  Bruce 3 years, 9 months ago.

Topic Author Topic
Posted: Monday Apr 8th, 2013 at 8:34 am #46840
Tom
Username: halasyt

Hi, I want to change the standard wp_ prefix to harden WP, but when I do so in the database and change $table_prefix = ‘wp_’; in wp-config, my admin user looses admin rights and I can’t access wp-admin any more. What can I do?
Thanks
Tom

List Of Topic Replies

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
Author Replies
Author Replies
Posted: Tuesday Apr 9th, 2013 at 9:01 pm #46977
Bruce
Username: Bruce
Staff Member

Thank you for reporting this important issue.

I’d strongly recommend not changing the prefix on a live site. You’ll need to change the prefix both in the wp-config.php file, but also for all of the tables that are created in your mySQL database, and all of the meta values that have been created based on the prefix you had set up. In my opinion, it would be easier to recreate the site over again with the new prefix than change the prefix after it’s all set up.

That being said, if that’s not an option, you’ll need to change the prefix for all of the tables in your mySQL database via PHPmyAdmin (your server provider should give you info on getting this access) for starters. You will need to redo (at least some) of your settings, and probably change the names in some of your options tables from wp_ to your new prefix. That’s probably what’s causing you your issue right now.

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)

This topic is closed to new replies. Topics with no replies for 2 weeks are closed automatically.

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Contacting s2Member: Please use our Support Center for bug reports, pre-sale questions & technical assistance.