latest stable versions: v150827 (changelog)

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Contradictory messages about log files

Home Forums Community Forum Contradictory messages about log files

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices. Last updated by  Jeff Starr 3 years, 9 months ago.

Topic Author Topic
Posted: Friday Apr 5th, 2013 at 4:04 pm #46726
Jeff Starr
Username: JeffStarr

Hi guys, I see that logging is now disabled by default.. From the Log Files (Debug) screen, it says this:

“However, it is VERY IMPORTANT to disable logging once you go live. Log files may contain personally identifiable information, credit card numbers, secret API credentials, passwords and/or other sensitive information. We STRONGLY suggest that logging be disabled on a live site (for security reasons).”

So that makes sense, but when I disable the log directory by changing its permissions, I get this warning:

“Permissions error. The security-enabled logs directory (/wp-content/plugins/s2member-logs) is not writable. Please make this directory writable (chmod 777).”

So my question: is it safe to ignore this contradictory message? Or for some reason does the directory need to be writable even when logging is disabled?

Thanks for any help or clues about this.

List Of Topic Replies

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
Author Replies
Author Replies
Posted: Tuesday Apr 9th, 2013 at 7:24 am #46888

Well, you need it to be writable when you have logging enabled, and it doesn’t affect to have it writable if you don’t have logging enabled.

I think you can ignore the permissions warning for that directory if you’re not logging, as long as you remember to change it when you do want to log.

Posted: Tuesday Apr 9th, 2013 at 4:53 pm #46940
Jeff Starr
Username: JeffStarr

That is what I needed to hear, thank you Cristián! :)

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

This topic is closed to new replies. Topics with no replies for 2 weeks are closed automatically.

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Contacting s2Member: Please use our Support Center for bug reports, pre-sale questions & technical assistance.