latest stable versions: v150827 (changelog)

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Curl Error, but Curl/OpenSSL are installed?

Home Forums Community Forum Curl Error, but Curl/OpenSSL are installed?

Tagged: , , , ,

This topic contains 7 replies, has 3 voices. Last updated by  Yukon Cornelius 3 years, 7 months ago.

Topic Author Topic
Posted: Friday May 31st, 2013 at 1:00 pm #51064

Hi,

I set up paypal, but after payment I received the error message unable to verify $_post vars

I used the scanner, and received just one error: [ERROR] cURL Extension / Or fopen() URL

I contacted my host, and they insist the extension plus the openssl extension are installed correctly.

They saw both error messages and say that the paypal IPN is incorrectly set up.

My question is: if the paypal IPN were set up properly, would it cause this error on the scanner, or is the scanner result independent of anything i set up in paypal?

If the scanner gives the Curl extension error, is that purely and simply a server configuration error?

Thanks,

Jimmy

List Of Topic Replies

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
Author Replies
Author Replies
Posted: Friday May 31st, 2013 at 4:19 pm #51066

spoke to the host again, and they are adamant that curl and openssl are installed correctly. Is there any reason why i would get this error if that were the case?

Posted: Friday May 31st, 2013 at 10:54 pm #51104

The PayPal PDT setting may cause you that error if it’s wrong. Knowledge Base » Unable to Verify $_POST Vars Error

The error in the scanner is independent of the PayPal configuration. s2Member needs to be able to connect back to itself via URL fopen or cUrl, and your hosting environment may be preventing this from working for one reason or another.

Posted: Saturday Jun 1st, 2013 at 2:36 pm #51143

Hi Cristian,

Thanks for getting back to me. This is just info I needed.

As I mentioned, the hosting company I’m using are saying that they’ve installed cURL with open SSL extension, but on the scanner report it shows an error to the contrary.

Here’s what I’ve done:

I’ve set up a development version of the site on Bluehost and installed the exact same Paypal details.

I tried signing up, and everything worked perfectly. I paid, and was redirected to the registration page afterwards.

I also tried the scanner, and the report came back green.

The only difference between the two installations is that the development version is using the free version of S2member, and the other version (the one that’s not working) is using the Pro framework.

Is it possible that something is misconfigured in the pro version, and that’s what is causing things to break, or is it more likely that it’s something on the server side?

Thanks!

Posted: Sunday Jun 2nd, 2013 at 2:56 am #51162

No, it’s something on the server side. There’s a difference between the two server configurations that may not be obvious, but is there.

s2Member Pro is just an add-on to the framework (free version). What’s in the framework remains the same, the Pro add-on adds more things to it.

Have you tried the same development setup that worked, in the server where you are having trouble?

Posted: Sunday Jun 2nd, 2013 at 2:09 pm #51185

Thanks for all your answers, Christian. They have been really helpful. I now have the complete system up and running successfully on the dev server, so the only variable is the server.

The hosting company is insisting my issues are nothing to do with their server, so I want to be sure i have my facts straight.

I appreciate your help. Love the plugin, esp. buddypress integration features. You guys rock!

Posted: Tuesday Jun 4th, 2013 at 4:32 am #51278
Bruce
Username: Bruce
Staff Member

The hosting company is insisting my issues are nothing to do with their server, so I want to be sure i have my facts straight.

I just want to note here that, as Cristian mentioned, the error you’re getting does not mean that fopen/cURL are not installed. It only means that s2Member was unable to connect back to the domain it was on via fopen/cURL. That means that if your server is not allowing connections back to the same domain (aka loopbacks), then this error will be thrown. Some server hosting companies prevent this from happening (it’s still unclear why), and it will break s2Member. I would suggest asking your hosting company if this is the case.

Posted: Tuesday Jun 4th, 2013 at 4:35 am #51280

ah thanks Bruce. I will pass it on. I think you may have hit the nail on the head, as I’m sure they are not mistaken when they say they’ve installed everything correctly.

Thanks again!

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

This topic is closed to new replies. Topics with no replies for 2 weeks are closed automatically.

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Contacting s2Member: Please use our Support Center for bug reports, pre-sale questions & technical assistance.