latest stable versions: v150827 (changelog)

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Custom Capabilities

Home Forums Community Forum Custom Capabilities

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices. Last updated by  Bruce 3 years, 11 months ago.

Topic Author Topic
Posted: Sunday Feb 3rd, 2013 at 2:45 am #40520

Hello,

Here are my current membership options:

1) Users can sign up for a free membership.
2) They can later upgrade to level 1 and get access all the premium posts.

I want to add a third option so that people can buy access to separate posts a la carte. I know I cannot combine the Specific Post/Page feature with Level 1 Access – as it would create a conflict. But I was hoping to achieve this with custom capabilities.

So consider this….

I have a post that is protected by Level 1 access. Can I also add a custom capability ‘ccap_1’ to that post and then create a Capability Buy Now button that includes ‘ccap_1’.

That way free members can upgrade to Level 1 and get access to all posts or they can choose to only buy the ccap_1 post. Will that create a conflict?

Thanks,
Ben

List Of Topic Replies

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
Author Replies
Author Replies
Posted: Sunday Feb 3rd, 2013 at 6:26 am #40545
Bruce
Username: Bruce
Staff Member

Thank you for your inquiry.

I know I cannot combine the Specific Post/Page feature with Level 1 Access – as it would create a conflict. But I was hoping to achieve this with custom capabilities.

To help clarify the way that conflicts, let me explain the way that s2Member decides whether or not a User has access to a specific Post or Page.

You can think of s2Member’s different Restriction Options (i.e. by Membership Level, Custom Capabilities, and Specific Post/Page) as different filters that a User’s Capabilities must fit through. If you set up both Specific Post/Page Access Restrictions for a Post, AND set up Member Level Access Restrictions, a User must meet both requirements put forth here. This means that each Member would need to both have access to the Level that is set up for the specific Post, AND have bought access for the Specific Post/Page through a Specific Post/Page Access Pro Form or Payment Button to view the Post.

This works the same way with Custom Capabilities. If you set up a Post/Page to be Restricted at s2Member Level 1, and restricted with Custom Capability ccap_1, your Users will need to be both s2Member Level 1, and have Custom Capability ccap_1 to access the Post/Page.

I have a post that is protected by Level 1 access. Can I also add a custom capability ‘ccap_1′ to that post and then create a Capability Buy Now button that includes ‘ccap_1′.

That way free members can upgrade to Level 1 and get access to all posts or they can choose to only buy the ccap_1 post. Will that create a conflict?

This is certainly possible. However, setting up a Post/Page requires s2Member Level 1, and a Custom Capability requires that a User to meet both your Level Access Restrictions, and your Custom Capability Access Restrictions. Instead, I would recommend removing your Level Access Restrictions on this Post, and use only Custom Capabilities to restrict access.

Keep in mind that Custom Capabilities are completely separate from Membership Levels, meaning that a User can have access to ccap_1 at s2Member Level 0, but another User might be s2Member Level 1, but not have access to this Custom Capability.

To get around this, you will need to add all of the Custom Capabilities that your User will need to access all of your Posts to the Pro Form / Payment Button that you are using to sign members up at s2Member Level 1. However, Users that signed up before you edited this Pro Form / Button would not have access to these Custom Capabilities, which means that they will either need to buy access to the new Custom Capabilities, or you will need to manually give these Users the new Custom Capabilities for these new Posts.

Please let us know if you have any further questions/concerns. :-)

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)

This topic is closed to new replies. Topics with no replies for 2 weeks are closed automatically.

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Contacting s2Member: Please use our Support Center for bug reports, pre-sale questions & technical assistance.