latest stable versions: v150827 (changelog)

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Custom capabilities ?

Home Forums Community Forum Custom capabilities ?

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices. Last updated by  Timothe Coumain 3 years, 5 months ago.

Topic Author Topic
Posted: Wednesday Jul 10th, 2013 at 2:37 pm #53242

Hi,

I would like to implement several content restricitions levels on my website, but without any hierarchical levels. For example :
– “movies” for members who would like to access to the movies pages
– “music” for members who would like to access to the music pages
– “books” for members who would like to access to the books pages
– …

But i don’t want a member who has suscribed to the books pages to access to music or movies pages, and so on.

Custom capabilities seem to be more appropriate than the default levels included in s2Member, but i have several questions : Is it possible for one member to have several custom capabilities at the same time ? How does this work ?

For example if a member already has a “movies” membership and wants to add “music” pages to his capabilities, is it possible ? And how can i check easily each member capabilities ?

Many thanks in advance

List Of Topic Replies

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
Author Replies
Author Replies
Posted: Thursday Jul 11th, 2013 at 12:06 am #53270
TJ
Username: wellwater

Timothe, each member can have multiple and different custom capabilities. You can see it in the user’s profile in the custom capabilities text input field. It’s just a comma-delimited list of the capabilities.

Then you can use the s2member shortcodes or functions (there’s a whole bunch of them) to grant access to whatever. Individual pages/posts can also be protected on a custom capability and member level. There should be an s2member widget on the sidebar of page/post pages to specify this. If you don’t see it, choose the “Screen Options” drop down in your admin interface to activate it.

I set all members to “Level 1” and users can gain access to whatever custom capability or capabilities I provide. In your checkout shortcode you have to specify the capability or capabilities you want your user to have. Let’s say your checkout page shortcode only has the custom capability “music” and a user who already has access to “movies” purchases from that page. The “music” capability will just be tacked onto their already existing “movies” custom capability. So now the user will have access to both. When you view the user’s profile, you’ll see both capabilities separated by a comma.

This video (I think it’s a set of three) helped me wrap my head around custom capabilities:
http://www.s2member.com/videos/A2C07377CF60025E/

Posted: Sunday Jul 14th, 2013 at 9:56 am #53421

Thank you very much for your very detailled answer !

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

This topic is closed to new replies. Topics with no replies for 2 weeks are closed automatically.

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Contacting s2Member: Please use our Support Center for bug reports, pre-sale questions & technical assistance.