latest stable versions: v150827 (changelog)

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Custom Capabilities v/s Specific Page/Posts

Home Forums Community Forum Custom Capabilities v/s Specific Page/Posts

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices. Last updated by  Eduan 4 years, 4 months ago.

Topic Author Topic
Posted: Friday Aug 17th, 2012 at 5:28 pm #22401
Ganaxi
Username: ganaxi

This is a follow-up to my earlier query on Specific Post Purchase | If More than One… (that was closed earlier)
http://www.s2member.com/forums/topic/specific-post-purchase-if-more-than-one/

I have been reading up more on custom capabilities, and it seems that using custom capabilities would be another way to accomplish what I am looking for …. namely, after a visitor/free subscriber/guest (you name it) purchases a post (or more than one), that there is a centralized area like “My Account” in s2 where they all of the links to their purchase are listed; especially useful since many people do have their e-mail boxes cluttered, and it would be nice to have a place where that information can be retrieved on the website.

If I understand right, I could probably do that with custom capabilities. But I just want to make sure before diving into it. As I expect I will be adding a couple of hundred different specific page/post every 3 months (that would now be a couple of hundred custom capabilities), and adding that many into functions.php as was outlined in another part of the site could create other problems — could somebody, an expert like Eduan or support (Ram/Chris), please comment on that.

Thanks for your responses.

Ganaxi

List Of Topic Replies

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
Author Replies
Author Replies
Posted: Friday Aug 17th, 2012 at 6:16 pm #22403
Eduan
Username: Eduan

Hello Ganaxi,

I’m afraid to have like a centralized area with all the services they have access to would require a script that runs through the user’s info and displays the info.

If I’m not mistaken, you are asking which is better for this purpose correct? If so, then ccaps are the only way to go, since specific post/page access restrictions are not tied to any specific user, so it’ll be almost impossible to retrieve all the services the user has paid for.

Hope this helps. :)

Posted: Friday Aug 17th, 2012 at 10:22 pm #22409
Ganaxi
Username: ganaxi

sure, eduan

but given that I could easily have more than a couple of hundred specific page/posts (or in this ccaps), would that somehow create a problem with the functions.php getting too big to handle it, or causing other problems, like slowing down the site, as I could see the number of ccaps approaching over a 1,000 at the end of a year.

Thanks,

Ganaxi

Posted: Saturday Aug 18th, 2012 at 10:19 am #22444
Eduan
Username: Eduan

Well, you don’t necessarily need to put the ccaps in the functions.php file, check the photo in this article:
Knowledge Base » A Basic Guide to Protecting Content With s2Member®

Note in that box there is a custom capabilities text field, you can protect each page that way.

Also, make sure your server is approved completely by the following script:
http://www.s2member.com/r/server-check-tool/

Put that script in your WordPress main directory, and open it in a browser.

Hope this helps. :)

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

This topic is closed to new replies. Topics with no replies for 2 weeks are closed automatically.

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Contacting s2Member: Please use our Support Center for bug reports, pre-sale questions & technical assistance.