latest stable versions: v150827 (changelog)

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Different membership for different languages

Home Forums Community Forum Different membership for different languages

Tagged: 

This topic contains 6 replies, has 2 voices. Last updated by  Nigel 4 years, 7 months ago.

Topic Author Topic
Posted: Thursday May 17th, 2012 at 2:34 pm #13785
Nigel
Username: enquirer32

Hi. I’m using qTranslate plugin for WP. is there any way I can offer different levels of membership depending on the language?

List Of Topic Replies

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Author Replies
Author Replies
Posted: Friday May 18th, 2012 at 7:33 am #13869

Hi Nigel.

Well, you could have a different PayPal button for each language you’re selling to.

Since levels give incremental access, custom capabilities may be better suited to your needs. Video » s2Member (Custom Capabilities)

Posted: Saturday May 19th, 2012 at 7:49 am #13970
Nigel

OK, so that looks good and I ‘think’ I can handle a post that way EXCEPT what I want to do is make, say, all posts in the French language FREE for viewers. However, isn’t this custom capability linked to payments? I suppose I can apply this to the bottom level but then it becomes complicated because on the Levels I have set up Level 0 only applies to a minimum viewing ability. If I want a person from France, say, to have Level 3 capabilities but without paying anything, will this work or are we back in the voucher domain once again? Thx for all your help.

Posted: Monday May 21st, 2012 at 5:31 pm #14102

Well, if you want to give free registrations at Level 3, you can do that with a free registration pro-form, even give the user custom capabilities, but you’d have to figure out the best way to fit it into your process. [hilite path]Dashboard -› s2Member® -› PayPal® Pro Forms -› Free Registration Forms[/hilite]

Posted: Tuesday May 22nd, 2012 at 1:42 am #14145
Nigel

This won’t work because I’m using the qTranslate plugin. For any given post I will have at least two versions – English and French. I don’t as far as I’m aware have the facility within S2 to do anything other than allocate a post (and its translated versions) to one level. With custom capabilities at least (but not for free payments) I have the possibility of allocating any part of any post to a specific level. What do you think?

Posted: Wednesday May 23rd, 2012 at 1:27 am #14271

I see.

Multilingual in WordPress is not fun… I once set up a site for a client using a plugin that let me enter the versions of the content and, besides making it hard or impossible to use some plugins with this, it once broke the site because the plugin had not been updated to the latest release of WordPress.

What I ended up doing for that site was what I now recommend to anyone that asks for my opinion regarding multisite in WordPress: have a blog for each language. Back then I did two WordPress installations under the directories /en/ and /es/, but it could ahve been subdomains. Now, with multisite available, you could have a single multisite installation of WordPress and have a child blog for each language.

Yeah, you have to enter the content twice, but you still had to with the plugin. And this way the available plugins are much more, because you don’t add the extra requirement of having it play nice with the multilanguage one.

Just my 2 cents. :)

Posted: Friday May 25th, 2012 at 2:33 am #14530
Nigel

Yeah I rather agree but it’s easier than setting up two sites… anyway worked it out I think but not yet implemented. The way to go is to use Custom Capabilities but not so much for the translations but the main English part of the site. That way all translated material is free and all English material requires payment…

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

This topic is closed to new replies. Topics with no replies for 2 weeks are closed automatically.

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Contacting s2Member: Please use our Support Center for bug reports, pre-sale questions & technical assistance.