latest stable versions: v150827 (changelog)

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Display Dialog for Protected Posts

Home Forums Community Forum Display Dialog for Protected Posts

This topic contains 10 replies, has 4 voices. Last updated by  Laurie Cameron 3 years, 10 months ago.

Topic Author Topic
Posted: Saturday Sep 22nd, 2012 at 4:55 am #26092

Hello everyone

I am just trying out s2member plugin, still playing around with it. I noticed that the posts excerpt are still showing on the home page.

Can someone guide me how, instead of showing the excerpt/hide the entire post, to show a dialogue like “Register to view the rest of the post” or something?

Thanks

List Of Topic Replies

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
Author Replies
Author Replies
Posted: Saturday Sep 22nd, 2012 at 8:25 am #26116
Eduan
Username: Eduan

Hello Edahani,

I believe you are referring to the option under ßDashboard -› s2Member® -› Restriction Options -› Alternative View Protection.

Hope this helps. :)

Posted: Sunday Sep 23rd, 2012 at 2:12 am #26155

Hi Eduan, thanks for replying!

Yes, I’ve seen that but it however doesn’t let me write on the dialog. It simply just restrict the posts from being accessed by the restricted levels of users.

And when that user click on the post link, it brings to the registration link, regardless if the user is already a registered member.

Now my question is, other than displaying the restriction dialog on the homepage itself (where I display the recent posts, including the restricted ones), how do I also display a dialog when the user goes to that link.

I’ve tried few membership plugins on WordPress and I am quite impressed with s2member. But WP-Members/Members allows me to display a dialog, and I can easily choose the level of restriction (user roles) from each and every posts/pages, although they’re pretty simpler than s2member.

I’m trying not to look for other plugins for now.

Posted: Sunday Sep 23rd, 2012 at 9:39 am #26182
Eduan

So if I understood correctly, you want for the user to be able to see the post (the spoiler), but if he clicks on it the user will be redirected to the membership options page?

Posted: Sunday Sep 23rd, 2012 at 9:51 am #26183

No, I don’t want to even show the spoiler. Just a dialog probably saying “Please register to get the whole story”, other than the title of the post.

Another thing I’ve notice, when I set the posts restriction to Level #1, which means user at Level #0 won’t be able to access, and when they (Level #0) click on it the page will direct to registration page – doesn’t make sense for me I guess, why would they need to register again? That’s why I think it would really be helpful if I can just display an error page, like telling them that the page is only meant for Level 1 and asking them to email me to be promoted to the allowed level or something? Possible? Or am i thinking too much?

Btw I don’t use any PayPal integration just yet as I don’t plan on charging anything on my contents at the moment. Could this be the reason?

Posted: Sunday Sep 23rd, 2012 at 3:47 pm #26218
Eduan

No, I don’t want to even show the spoiler. Just a dialog probably saying “Please register to get the whole story”, other than the title of the post.

In that case you might be interested in using shortcode conditionals for this, you can find them under Dashboard -› s2Member® -› API / Scripting -› Simple/Shortcode Conditionals, you would simply check if the user has access to level 1, if he doesn’t then show that message.

Another thing I’ve notice, when I set the posts restriction to Level #1, which means user at Level #0 won’t be able to access, and when they (Level #0) click on it the page will direct to registration page – doesn’t make sense for me I guess, why would they need to register again?

Actually it does make sense, if the user doesn’t have access to level 1 then he will simply be redirected to the membership options page.

Btw I don’t use any PayPal integration just yet as I don’t plan on charging anything on my contents at the moment. Could this be the reason?

This is a problem, if you don’t have the pro version of s2Member then you can’t offer paid levels for free, unless you give the user the access manually. Although it’s a problem, it’s not related to the current problem.

Posted: Saturday Sep 29th, 2012 at 10:29 am #26950

when I set the posts restriction to Level #1, which means user at Level #0 won’t be able to access, and when they (Level #0) click on it the page will direct to registration page – doesn’t make sense for me I guess, why would they need to register again?

Hi,
Actually, I am very interested in finding how to handle this.
I want to be able to display a message to the user telling him:
Your level is x and the page you have tried to access can only be accessed by people with level y. If you still want to access the page, please upgrade…
I know the constant to determine the user’s level x; ([s2Get constant="S2MEMBER_CURRENT_USER_ACCESS_LABEL" /]) but I do not know how to determine the page’s protection level ‘y’ so that I can include that into the message.
The user needs to understand why I am sending him back to the registration page.
Am anxious to know the solution.

Posted: Saturday Sep 29th, 2012 at 12:40 pm #26959
Eduan

Hello Simeon,

Currently you’re not able to know at what level the post/page is protected, or if it is at all. At least not a simple way. But you can separate the content for different levels, check under Dashboard -› s2Member® -› API / Scripting -› Advanced PHP Conditionals.

Posted: Saturday Sep 29th, 2012 at 1:03 pm #26960

That’s a pity really. Even if you separate the content, the software would need to know the protection level of the page in order to display an appropriate message to the user. Could you, please, ask Jason, if he can add that element if it is possible?
Thanks.

Posted: Saturday Sep 29th, 2012 at 5:20 pm #26971
Eduan
Posted: Saturday Feb 16th, 2013 at 11:03 am #41948

The problem with using conditionals is that if you want to make a change, you have to modify every single post/page. For me, that amounts to a lot of editing. I would like to be able to use Post Level Restriction and when an casual browser tries to access a restricted post, they get a message instead of being bounced over to the registration page.

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

This topic is closed to new replies. Topics with no replies for 2 weeks are closed automatically.

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Contacting s2Member: Please use our Support Center for bug reports, pre-sale questions & technical assistance.