latest stable versions: v150827 (changelog)

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Doesn't go to Paypal page after recent update

Home Forums Community Forum Doesn't go to Paypal page after recent update

This topic contains 42 replies, has 6 voices. Last updated by  Bruce 4 years, 1 month ago.

Topic Author Topic
Posted: Monday Nov 19th, 2012 at 12:44 pm #31999

List Of Topic Replies

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 42 total)
Author Replies
Author Replies
Posted: Tuesday Nov 20th, 2012 at 8:23 am #32082

Hi Mary.

Could you please try the the tests suggested in this article? Knowledge Base » Common Troubleshooting Tips

Thanks!

Posted: Tuesday Nov 20th, 2012 at 12:06 pm #32110

Hi Cristián,

I’ve done those things, and I’ve also tested the issue with Firefox, Safari and Chrome and the page moves to the Paypal page with those browsers, it seems to be an incompatibility only with Internet Explorer. I can’t really fix that!

Has anyone else had this issue? I haven’t changed anything on the site recently apart from updating WordPress and your own program.

Mary

Posted: Tuesday Nov 20th, 2012 at 7:52 pm #32174

The only few times I saw a problem with IE mentioned (usually IE9) it was a JavaScript problem introduced by a plugin or the theme, that’s why I suggested the troubleshooting tips article, so you do the plugins and theme tests there.

The article also suggests creating a clean installation of WordPress with just s2Member to see if you can reproduce the problem that way.

If the problem changes based on the browser, then it’d be a JavaScript issue. s2Member works well with IE, so if there is a problem, it’s being introduced by something else.

What tests in the article did you try? Did you change to the default theme? Did you deactivate the other plugins?

Posted: Tuesday Nov 20th, 2012 at 9:10 pm #32184

I have deactivated the plugins and that didn’t make any difference, I put in the server check tool and that came up okay. I can’t change the theme as there has been no change to it, and the client has people signing in at all hours to use the programs that they signed up for. It is just the issue of people not being able to get past that membership sign up page and the button for paypal not to take them anywhere in IE. I had a colleague test it and he says it did work for him (he has IE 9) but I can’t duplicate that no matter how long I wait. It’s like the button is dead.

I don’t know what else to try. This site has been working for a year, with s2member working for at least three months with 73 sign ups now. Apart from your own update, and a back up program update (and of course wordpress itself) I haven’t changed anything. I deactivated that plugin and that didn’t help.

What else? I’m not sure what you mean by “did you change the default browser”.

Thanks Cristián

Posted: Tuesday Nov 20th, 2012 at 11:28 pm #32188

What else? I’m not sure what you mean by “did you change the default browser”.

Sorry, I meant the default theme.

I can’t change the theme as there has been no change to it, and the client has people signing in at all hours to use the programs that they signed up for.

It’s a quick test, and you can do it at a time with little or no traffic. Or you can install a clean WordPress with s2Member and test there.

I had a colleague test it and he says it did work for him (he has IE 9) but I can’t duplicate that no matter how long I wait. It’s like the button is dead.

He has IE9 for Mac or Windows? What do you have?

Posted: Wednesday Nov 21st, 2012 at 12:30 pm #32262

Thanks for your patience. I use Windows 8 – 64 bit computer and I am using IE9. I can’t get hold of him at the moment, but I’ll add to this message when I have found out.

I’m not sure how to move my complete set up of s2member to a clean install, can I just back up all your files and move them to a new site? Will that work? (I really can’t afford to turn off his site, even at night, as people use it at all hours, it is a training program with videos) Then copy the sign up page? Would that work?

Posted: Wednesday Nov 21st, 2012 at 1:32 pm #32264

My friend also has Windows 7 with IE9

Posted: Thursday Nov 22nd, 2012 at 6:44 am #32331

Thanks for confirming the browser version.

About the test installation, you can install a clean copy of WordPress, then install s2Member and s2Member Pro. You can copy your s2Member options exporting them from the live site and importing them to the test install using this: [hilite path]Dashboard -› s2Member® -› Import/Export -› s2Member® Options[/hilite]

Posted: Sunday Nov 25th, 2012 at 9:29 pm #32558

Hi Cristián,

I’ve duplicated the site to test it, and before I have even added any plugins, I am still not able to go to Paypal from IE9. It goes through the motions on the other browsers but on IE9, it is like a dead image.

I’ve got the site at http://d167664.g37.germars.com

Thank you,
Mary

Posted: Monday Nov 26th, 2012 at 7:48 am #32581

Thanks Mary. Could you try with the default TwentyEleven theme, please?

Posted: Monday Nov 26th, 2012 at 8:39 am #32588

sorry, it’s done now. Still not doing anything.

thank you!

Posted: Tuesday Nov 27th, 2012 at 6:49 am #32676

Thanks! Could you please send me the login info to that installation? I’d like to look into it a bit more. s2Member® » Private Contact Form

Posted: Tuesday Nov 27th, 2012 at 8:05 am #32696

Thanks Cristián, I’ve sent the details through a Private Contact form.

I hope this helps you as well as me!

Posted: Wednesday Nov 28th, 2012 at 8:01 am #32769

Thanks Mary!

Okay, I looked at it and I then tried your shortcode in my test installation, and can confirm that the displayed pro-forms are different. Yours shows the Billing Information section, which shouldn’t be there, since you’re only accepting payments through Express Checkout, which collects the billing information over at PayPal’s site.

I saw that you deactivated the custom theme, but I’d like to test removing it from the installation. I didn’t do it myself because, although it’s most likely not your only copy, I thought I should ask you first if it was okay. Could you delete the optassess_dec2a theme and leave only the default one? I wonder if, although not active, it’s influencing the site in some way.

By the way, I changed the amount of the shortcode to 1 cent and fixed the custom attribute to use the test installation’s address. Was planning to do a test purchase, but the pro-form’s problem displaying that section should be fixed first.

Posted: Wednesday Nov 28th, 2012 at 9:32 am #32776

Hi Cristián,

I’ve removed the two themes that aren’t in use. I do have another copy, so that isn’t a problem.

I’m not sure what else I can fix, as I’m not exactly sure what you meant. However, I can’t test the page on IE now as it says it is protected. The membership page shouldn’t be protected, or people can’t sign in?

Let me know if you want me to do any more, or you can look at it again.

Thank you so much,
Mary

Posted: Wednesday Nov 28th, 2012 at 11:19 pm #32852

Thanks again, Mary.

I had password protected it so I could do the test 1 cent purchase, but not leave it exposed for others to use. I raised the amount to 500 again and removed the password protection now.

I see you have no other plugins or themes and the problem’s still there. I’ll ask Jason about this now, I’ll forward him the login info so he can review this. I’ll let you know as soon as I hear back from him. :)

Posted: Thursday Nov 29th, 2012 at 1:08 am #32867

I had a similar problem and changed my workflow.
What I did is create a payment button using paypal. (login to paypal, go to profile->options->sales preference (the last option in the left hand menu) then, under online ssales select manage Paypal Buttons.

Mind you that under step 3 (advanced option you need to fill the notify URL like:
notify_url=http://www.YourWebSite.com/?s2member_paypal_notify=1

Just above that part you can also give a redirect URL for successful payments and cancellations.

I use the code that is generated there on my page.

The flow I use now is: a page describing the options for members with under every option the paypal button for that option.
Then they are redirected to PayPal (leaving your site).
When the payment is successful they are redirected to a page where they can fill a profile.

I know, not really what you want but this is a workaround that might help you for the time being (until the problem is solved).

Posted: Thursday Nov 29th, 2012 at 5:21 am #32879
Staff Member

Thanks for the heads up on this thread.

@ Mary Sullivan

Thanks for reporting this.

We are not aware of any issues and/or compatibility problems under IE9.

I just finished reviewing the test site that you sent over to us privately.

I tested your site in Chrome (no JavaScript errors).
I tested your site in Firefox v12 (no JavaScript errors).
I tested your site in IE9 (no JavaScript errors).

I was unable to reproduce the error that you reported under IE9 as described in the original topic in this thread. This test site seems to be functioning properly. However, I did receive the following error from the PayPal API upon clicking the PayPal button in all browsers.

Error #10002. Security error. Security header is not valid.

This indicates that your installation of s2Member is not properly configured in this section (e.g. your PayPal API Credentials need to be entered properly, matching those provided to you by PayPal). Please see: Dashboard -› s2Member® -› PayPal® Options -› Account Details

I had a colleague test it and he says it did work for him (he has IE 9) but I can’t duplicate that no matter how long I wait. It’s like the button is dead.

It seems to be working fine from my end as well. If problems persist during your own testing, I would start looking at your installation of IE9. Do you have any plugins/add-ons installed together with IE9? If so, one of those IE9 add-ons could be causing JavaScript errors for you, which would be user-specific (i.e. only you are having this problem)?

Posted: Thursday Nov 29th, 2012 at 6:52 am #32885

By the way, Mary, I saw now why the Billing Address section is coming up in the pro-form: you have configured taxes in s2Member, so the address is needed to know which rate applies. [hilite path]Dashboard -› s2Member® -› PayPal® Options -› Tax Rate Calculations[/hilite]

Posted: Thursday Nov 29th, 2012 at 8:51 am #32898

Hello Cristián and Jason,

Thank you both for looking intot his further.

I have to go out of town today, but I’ll look at all the things you have mentioned. I do need the tax rate calculations for all the provinces in Canada.

This isn’t just happening to me, it is happening to the client’s members and preventing them from signing up, so there must be a lot of other people who have IE9 not working well! I don’t use IE9 myself, only for testing sites, but I’ll see if I have plugins.

I’ll look at all your comments tomorrow and see if I can fix it. I’ll look at my Paypal API credentials again, but why would it work for other browsers and not IE9 in some cases?

Mmmmm.

We’ll get to the bottom of it!

Thanks,
Mary

Thank you to boudewijn for your comments too.

Posted: Thursday Nov 29th, 2012 at 11:29 pm #32968

I think that the testing site is clouding the issue. The paypal issues with that site is due to the copy of s2member not copying all the API details from Paypal (which is why you are getting the error code). I fixed the Paypal details that I could but now get an error 10001
Internal Error. Timeout processing request.

I’d really appreciate if I could send you the sign in details for the real site, so you could check if that site perhaps has something not set up right. I don’t want to screw around with my Paypal settings to get the API for the test site in case I mess up something that is working for other browsers at the moment.

What I don’t understand is how this could be my fault when it was all working up until about two weeks ago when I updated s2member. And when it works with other browsers perfectly well? How can I tell people not to put plugins into their version of IE? And Cristián, you must be getting the same issue as I am, so that shows that it isn’t just my version of IE9, right?

I’m going to send you the details of the site that I am having troubles with and see if we can’t sort this out.
Thank you both,
Mary

Posted: Friday Nov 30th, 2012 at 8:06 am #32995

Thanks for the login info to the live site, got the email. I’m forwarding it to Jason now. :)

Posted: Friday Nov 30th, 2012 at 8:07 am #32996

Cristián,

On thinking overnight on this, I do notice that I can click the button now (in the test version), and get some response, even though it has error codes due to the PayPal API. What did you change apart from the amount? Did you take out some duplicate type of payment? Perhaps if I correct that, it will fix the issue I am having with the IE browsers.

That may be the key now to my fixing the problem on the live site.

Thanks again for all your help on this. I feel we are on the precipice!

Posted: Friday Nov 30th, 2012 at 8:23 am #33002

What I changed the other day were the amount to 1 cent, although I raised it back to 500 dollars afterwards. And I fixed the custom attribute, because it still had the address of the live site, but needed to be updated to the test site’s.

Why can’t you fix the PayPal API in the test site? The test installation is completely independent from the live one, right?

Posted: Friday Nov 30th, 2012 at 3:24 pm #33034

Well, don’t I get the password from Paypal? I’m afraid that it will change that when I go to look for it. Will it?

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 42 total)

This topic is closed to new replies. Topics with no replies for 2 weeks are closed automatically.

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Contacting s2Member: Please use our Support Center for bug reports, pre-sale questions & technical assistance.