latest stable versions: v150827 (changelog)

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

UI Issues, Big Ones….

Home Forums Community Forum UI Issues, Big Ones….

This topic contains 9 replies, has 2 voices. Last updated by  Jordan Mederich 4 years, 9 months ago.

Topic Author Topic
Posted: Saturday Mar 17th, 2012 at 12:17 pm #8454

Hey Raam or Cristian, or anyone with an idea,

I’ve been using the plugin for several months without major issues, at http://www.cheapochurch.com. But we’ve just had some issues brought to my attention that are pretty serious, but hard to replicate.

Sometimes, when a member logs in, they are sent to the Registration page (as if they aren’t logged in), instead of the “Welcome Member” page. In fact, the member can’t access their account page, or other administration pages…. just posts and pages in the body of the site.

When a member tries accessing their “My Account” page they get this huge URL:

http://www.cheapochurch.com/register/?_s2member_seeking%5Btype%5D=page&_s2member_seeking%5Bpage%5D=2&_s2member_seeking%5B_uri%5D=L3NhbXBsZS1wYWdlLw%3D%3D&_s2member_req%5Btype%5D=level&_s2member_req%5Blevel%5D=0&_s2member_res%5Btype%5D=page&s2member_seeking=page-2&s2member_level_req=0

In other cases, when someone tries a download, they get redirected to this URL:

http://www.cheapochurch.com/register/?_s2member_seeking%5Btype%5D=file&_s2member_seeking%5Bfile%5D=didyouknowclean.mp4&_s2member_seeking%5B_uri%5D=Lz9zMm1lbWJlcl9maWxlX2Rvd25sb2FkPWRpZHlvdWtub3djbGVhbi5tcDQ%3D&_s2member_req%5Btype%5D=level&_s2member_req%5Blevel%5D=0&_s2member_res%5Btype%5D=file&s2member_seeking=file-didyouknowclean.mp4&s2member_level_req=0

It’s doing some crazy things I can’t figure out, things that weren’t problems not long ago. The problems are hard to replicate, because they are only happening to SOME accounts. I’m hoping those URLs can shed some light on why it’s happening.

If you could PLEASE look into this… I feel pretty comfortable with the plugin, but this is over my head. To try it, use this dummy account:

http://www.cheapochurch.com/wp-login.php
user: testuser
pass: testuser

• This topic was modified 4 years, 9 months ago by  Jordan Mederich.
  • This topic was modified 3 years, 4 months ago by  Jordan Mederich.

List Of Topic Replies

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
Author Replies
Author Replies
Posted: Monday Mar 19th, 2012 at 12:16 am #8517
David Welch
Username: dwbiz05

1. Check your theme template. 3 of the links in your top menu bar on the right point to the registration page.

2. The downloads are going to the downloads exceeded page. Check the settings in s2member->download options->basic download restrictions make sure those are filled in correctly.

Without looking at the back end thats the best I can say.

Dave

Posted: Monday Mar 19th, 2012 at 10:43 am #8532

Thanks for looking into this David,

I’ve worked with the theme support team, and determined, it is definitely not the theme. It only happens when an S2Member is logged in.

Here is a picture of the header, which is causing some form of formatting issue when someone is logged in. I assume that the incorrect links on the top menu are because of this strange formatting.

Here is a close up. You can see that the WordPress login info is being pushed down by the plugin:

(The download exceeded page you saw, is because the downloads have been used up for the basic level of that test account. I wanted to make sure a member gets to the exceeded page when they download the right amount.)

In the back end, all links work properly for an administrator all the time, it’s members that have the problems… I’m hoping that fixing this header formatting error will take care of it. If it would be advantageous to give you admin access, I’m open to that.

Jordan

Posted: Monday Mar 19th, 2012 at 11:47 am #8537
David Welch

Just for kicks, try adding this to your theme’s functions.php page…

//Disable Admin Bar On Site
add_filter( 'show_admin_bar', '__return_false' );

Dave

Posted: Monday Mar 19th, 2012 at 12:12 pm #8542

Dave,

Ok, well, that hid the admin bar… which looks much better, but now, how does a person know they’re signed in? Or have access to log out? Is there a plugin to achieve that?

It works for both the admin, AND a user level log in (in terms of hiding the bar).

I think we’re close!!

Jordan

http://www.cheapochurch.com

Posted: Monday Mar 19th, 2012 at 12:43 pm #8543
David Welch

When I make a theme, I usually create a standard template then create a “members” template that looks the same but calls different menus based on the template.

So all my membership pages, I protect with s2 but also use the “members” template so that it shows the member menu(s).

There are probably a hundred other ways to do this as well, but that’s my way.

As far as logging out, you can add a logout link to your top menu using either http://yoursite.com/wp-login.php?action=logout or using something like this in your theme:

<a href="<?php echo wp_logout_url(); ?>" title="Logout">Logout</a>

As far as showing the user they are logged in, you could add this to your membership page template:

<?php
	if(is_user_logged_in()){
		echo 'Welcome '.S2MEMBER_CURRENT_USER_LOGIN.'!';
	}
?>

You may also be able to use the above code in your theme where the menu is shown to filter the menus based on user logged in…

<?php
	if(is_user_logged_in()){
		wp_nav_menu( array( 'theme_location' => 'member-menu' ) );
	}
	else {
		wp_nav_menu( array( 'theme_location' => 'public-menu' ) );
	}
?>

If you don’t have menus registered in your theme, add this to your functions.php file.

<?php
//Register Template Menus
function register_my_menus() {
  register_nav_menus(
    array( 'public-menu' => __( 'Public Menu' ), 'member-menu' => __( 'Member Menu' ))
  );
}
?>

Hope that helps,

Dave

PS. in case you don’t know, if you register your menus, you will need to create menus and add them to the correct menu location in wp menu->appearance->menus

• This reply was modified 4 years, 9 months ago by  David Welch. Reason: Added extra instructions
Posted: Monday Apr 2nd, 2012 at 11:49 am #9768

Hey Dave,

I wanted to throw one more question in here… Apparently all these issues I’ve been having were because of a flawed install on our Amazon server. Long story short, I’m starting from scratch on bluehost.

Preface: I was able to get a backup of the whole site before the crash, including the S2member files, and a SQL file. Unfortunately, the SQL file is bad, and won’t reboot the content to the new site.

Do you know which files need to be replaced on a fresh wordpress install (maybe single.php, or otherwise) that houses all the posts/pages from my previous site? I can FTP copy the files over, but I don’t know where the posts actually live…

On the same token, when I copied over the s2member files into the plugins folder, it installed a fresh s2member set, without all the specific nitty gritty details I put inside. Any ideas on how to transfer those over?

Otherwise, I’ll have to write all the articles and format from scratch. You could definitely save me a headache… if any of this rings a bell.

Thanks for your time!
Jordan

Posted: Monday Apr 2nd, 2012 at 11:50 am #9769

Oh, I should also mention that we were able to get a .XML file from wordpress before the crash. So, we have all the files backed up, but I don’t, unfortunately, have the wordpress .XML file…

Any advice would be awesome.
Jordan

Posted: Tuesday Apr 3rd, 2012 at 4:40 pm #9953
David Welch

Sent you an e-mail.

Dave

Posted: Saturday Apr 7th, 2012 at 8:18 pm #10303

Looks like I’ll be building from scratch… thanks for your help.

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

This topic is closed to new replies. Topics with no replies for 2 weeks are closed automatically.

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Contacting s2Member: Please use our Support Center for bug reports, pre-sale questions & technical assistance.