latest stable versions: v150827 (changelog)

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Duplicate purchase + PayPal EOT? What happens

Home Forums Community Forum Duplicate purchase + PayPal EOT? What happens

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices. Last updated by  Cristián Lávaque 3 years, 7 months ago.

Topic Author Topic
Posted: Sunday May 12th, 2013 at 9:49 pm #49800
TJ
Username: wellwater

I’m curious about the following scenario:

1) User John Doe purchases non-subscription item via PayPal express which sets member level to 1 and adds the custom capability “pro_app” giving John Doe access to the “pro_app” on the admin’s website.

2) User John Doe inadvertently or unnecessarily purchases the same item with the same account two weeks later which results in no fundamental change in level access or custom capability since it’s the same purchase with same access settings.

3) User John Doe emails admin asking for a refund for the second, accidental duplicate purchase.

4) Admin logs into PayPal and issues a refund for the second, duplicate transaction, then PayPal sends a IPN message notifying the admin’s website of the refund, which results in an EOT (I assume?).

So, my question is, what does s2member do once it gets this refund IPN from PayPal? Does it demote the user and wipe out the “pro_app” custom capability? Or is there some awareness somewhere that John Doe purchased two instances of the same product and a demotion/wipe out shouldn’t occur until both/all instances were actually refunded?

I know this may be some sort of weird edge case, but I’m wondering if this is a blind spot that exists within s2member or virtually any membership plugin? It would be especially problematic if there were EOT API notifications that were setup that did housecleaning after a demotion that really shouldn’t have happened.

Thanks.

List Of Topic Replies

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
Author Replies
Author Replies
Posted: Tuesday May 14th, 2013 at 3:18 am #49913

The EOT behavior would happen. s2Member currently doesn’t keep track of the different purchases and separate EOTs.

In that special case you’d have to bring his account back to lvl 1 and give it the ccap back.

Posted: Tuesday May 14th, 2013 at 12:12 pm #49958
TJ
Username: wellwater

Thanks Cristián. Let me ask you about this alternative scenario to complete the circle:

1) User purchases item 1 via PayPal which gives Level 1 access and custom capability “pro_app_red”
2) User later purchases item 2 via PayPal which gives Level 1 access and custom capability “pro_app_magenta”
3) User refunds purchase #1 or #2, which triggers an EOT via PayPal’s IPN.

Whichever item is purchased, there will still be a remaining custom capability that should remain intact, but what happens to the Level 1? Does s2member have a check in place to not demote a user’s Level 1 access if there’s a custom capability leftover that hasn’t been removed? Basically, only demoting a user to “Subscriber” only if all custom capabilities have also been cleared?

Thanks.

Posted: Wednesday May 15th, 2013 at 12:27 am #49990

No. If he’s demoted, he’s demoted. s2Member currently doesn’t separate these. You can prevent the demotion from removing ccaps too, but it won’t remove only some ccaps and leave others yet. [hilite path]Dashboard -› s2Member® -› PayPal® Options -› Automatic EOT Behavior[/hilite]

Custom capabilities were added to segment access more, then it was possible to sell them separately too, but the EOT engine hasn’t caught up to these yet, because the original code doesn’t have enough to support it without big changes. So we’re rewriting s2Member, to improve all these things to remove the limitations, but don’t have a date for it yet.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

This topic is closed to new replies. Topics with no replies for 2 weeks are closed automatically.

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Contacting s2Member: Please use our Support Center for bug reports, pre-sale questions & technical assistance.