latest stable versions: v150827 (changelog)

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Email Already In Use problems

Home Forums Community Forum Email Already In Use problems

Tagged: , ,

This topic contains 16 replies, has 3 voices. Last updated by  Bruce 4 years ago.

Topic Author Topic
Posted: Friday Dec 14th, 2012 at 12:11 am #34513
JD Duran
Username: jdduran30

We are trying to get the members of our site before S2 to sign up using S2 and are giving them a promotion first. However, we are getting a lot of emails that say when they go to sign up their email is already in use. I’m assuming it’s because they signed up to the site before S2. How can we fix this so they pay using PayPal and can use their emails from before?

Thanks!

List Of Topic Replies

Viewing 16 replies - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
Author Replies
Author Replies
Posted: Friday Dec 14th, 2012 at 2:55 pm #34695
Bruce
Username: Bruce
Staff Member

Hi JD,

You should not need to have your users sign back up with s2Member, as s2Member uses the default WordPress User Roles and Capabilities functionality.

You should be able to allow them to log in with their old logins, and allow them to start paying through PayPal with Dashboard -› s2Member® -› PayPal® Pro Forms -› Billing Modification Forms.

Posted: Friday Dec 14th, 2012 at 3:27 pm #34705
JD Duran

Thanks Bruce.

One thing we also did was set up a form for members before S2 so they could get six months free. If any of our members signed up on the normal form before we made that, is there anyway we could switch them over so they still get the six months free? Or do they need to unsubscribe and use the promo form?

Thanks!

Posted: Friday Dec 14th, 2012 at 3:29 pm #34706
Bruce
Staff Member

Hi JD,

I’m unsure how you handled your form. Did you not do it with s2Member?

If not, you should probably just allow your users to upgrade once their six months free is up, right?

Posted: Saturday Dec 15th, 2012 at 9:30 am #34744
JD Duran

Hey Bruce,

I realize my question is very confusing. What I meant was for our members before we installed S2. Both forms were set up with S2 but some of our members we had before S2 signed up on the regular form and not the special promo one we made for them. Does that make sense?

Posted: Monday Dec 17th, 2012 at 12:56 am #34807

One thing we also did was set up a form for members before S2 so they could get six months free. If any of our members signed up on the normal form before we made that, is there anyway we could switch them over so they still get the six months free? Or do they need to unsubscribe and use the promo form?

You could check up to what user ID they had before you implemented s2Member, and if the user is logged in and his ID is lower than that, then add the 6 month trial to the shortcode for the PayPal button/pro-form. Knowledge Base » Using variables in a shortcode

Posted: Monday Dec 17th, 2012 at 9:00 am #34833
JD Duran

Thanks guys!

If I use the Billing Modifications Form, will that charge them again if they’ve already paid the year fee? Some of them have paid the year fee, and I don’t want to charge them again for a year in six months if they’ve paid for the year already?

Also we are still getting tons of emails that when people go to sign up it says thier email is already in use and I’m not sure what that means or how to fix it??

Thanks!

Posted: Monday Dec 17th, 2012 at 10:16 am #34838
JD Duran

I used this for our members that signed up before they had a chance to get our promo form we set up for the members of our site before we installed S2:

[s2Member-Pro-PayPal-Form modify="1" level="1" ccaps="" desc="6 Months free / then $69.99 USD / Yearly ( recurring charge, for ongoing access )" ps="paypal" lc="" cc="USD" dg="0" ns="1" custom="www.bleedbluekentucky.com" ta="0" tp="6" tt="M" ra="69.99" rp="1" rt="Y" rr="1" rrt="" rra="2" accept="paypal" accept_via_paypal="paypal" coupon="" accept_coupons="0" default_country_code="" captcha="0" /]

This will get them six months free and they won’t have to pay again right?

JD

Posted: Tuesday Dec 18th, 2012 at 8:55 am #34915

This will get them six months free and they won’t have to pay again right?

That’ll give them 6 months free, then they’ll be charge $69.99 and again after each year. For it to just be a single payment, change [hilite mono]rr[/hilite] to 0: [hilite mono]rr="0"[/hilite]. [hilite path]Dashboard -› s2Member® -› PayPal® Pro Forms -› Shortcode Attributes rr[/hilite]

If I use the Billing Modifications Form, will that charge them again if they’ve already paid the year fee? Some of them have paid the year fee, and I don’t want to charge them again for a year in six months if they’ve paid for the year already?

The subscription would be reset, so you have to use the trial period to give the user the paid time he’s got left before making the new charge.

If you know it’s 6 months, you can enter it as you did in the shortcode, but if it’ll be varying depending on the user or something else, you’ll need to use some PHP to calculate it dynamically. Knowledge Base » Using variables in a shortcode

Also we are still getting tons of emails that when people go to sign up it says thier email is already in use and I’m not sure what that means or how to fix it??

They need to be logged in when they load the page with the shortcode, or the payment will go towards a new account instead of the existing one. So after checkout, if he was logged out, the user is invited to register an account, and when they try this and use the same email address as they did for the existing account, they get that error.

Posted: Tuesday Dec 18th, 2012 at 10:45 am #34944
JD Duran

The subscription would be reset, so you have to use the trial period to give the user the paid time he’s got left before making the new charge.

If you know it’s 6 months, you can enter it as you did in the shortcode, but if it’ll be varying depending on the user or something else, you’ll need to use some PHP to calculate it dynamically. Knowledge Base » Using variables in a shortcode

Would it be easier to just refund the original subscription and then have them upgrade using the modification form? Is that possible?

They need to be logged in when the load the page with the shortcode, or the payment will go towards a new account instead of the existing one. So after checkout, if he was logged out, the user is invited to register an account, and when they try this and use the same email address as they did for the existing account, they get that error.

That makes a lot of sense. Thanks!

Thanks so much for the help!!!

JD

Posted: Wednesday Dec 19th, 2012 at 8:27 am #35029

Would it be easier to just refund the original subscription and then have them upgrade using the modification form? Is that possible?

Well, I don’t know how to refund it automatically. Or how to do a partial refund manually, other than transfering funds to the person. You also risk losing customers that way, if they cancel the subscription and then don’t complete the upgrade again. I think it’s easier and safer to calculate the time and use the trial term to account for the remaining paid time the user has.

Thanks so much for the help!!!

No problem. :)

Posted: Wednesday Dec 19th, 2012 at 8:57 am #35036
JD Duran

Well, I don’t know how to refund it automatically. Or how to do a partial refund manually, other than transfering funds to the person. You also risk losing customers that way, if they cancel the subscription and then don’t complete the upgrade again. I think it’s easier and safer to calculate the time and use the trial term to account for the remaining paid time the user has.

Well the problem with that is that they’ve already paid for a whole year and the upgrade form is for six months free so calculating how much time they for free seems confusing to me. I may not be understanding something but when I see this:

“If you know it’s 6 months, you can enter it as you did in the shortcode, but if it’ll be varying depending on the user or something else, you’ll need to use some PHP to calculate it dynamically. Knowledge Base » Using variables in a shortcode”

That seems very confusing to me..especially when I look at that page and seems like a gigantic pain in the butt. Especially when this only applies to a few people lol

But at the same time, we don’t want to lose those customers and since they’ve already paid for a year, it’s not fair for them to have to pay again for a year in six months. That being said, I’m guessing I’m missing something if it’s supposed to be that easy cuz I’m pretty confused at this point on how to do this.

Again thanks for your help!

JD

Posted: Wednesday Dec 19th, 2012 at 10:15 am #35066

If you already know they all have 6 moths left, then you can just set the trial term to 6 months. But if one of them doesn’t extend his membership right away and instead waits a month before doing it, then he’ll get a 6 month trial term before the new charge, instead of 5 months. So what I was suggesting was to use a bit of PHP to calculate the time left at the time the shortcode is parsed.

Posted: Thursday Dec 20th, 2012 at 10:57 pm #35200
JD Duran

Hey Christian,

I’m sorry, but that just confused me even more lol…and I really am sorry..I’m not trying to be a pain.

At this point, this is all brand new. Everyone that has signed up for a year, has 12 months left total. (6 free, and then 6 paid). Again all this is completely brand new.

The problem was that a few people signed up for the normal yearly membership without the trial and we need to switch them over.

Does that make sense?

Posted: Saturday Dec 22nd, 2012 at 9:30 am #35320

Aaah, I had completely not understood that before.

You have these options:

– Refund the first 6 payments right after each happens.
– End that subscription and have him start a new one with the trial.

Posted: Saturday Dec 22nd, 2012 at 9:48 am #35324
JD Duran

Great thanks Cristian!

Also, not sure if this should be a new thread or not, but we’ve had several people say they get 503 message errors saying they can’t access becuz of too many IP’s. The restriction was set at 5 but I now changed it to 10. And it’s highly unlikely they would use more than 5 or 10. You know of any other reason why that would happen?

Thanks again!!

PS sorry for spelling your name wrong!

JD

Posted: Sunday Dec 23rd, 2012 at 1:03 am #35400
Bruce
Staff Member

Hi JD

The restriction was set at 5 but I now changed it to 10. And it’s highly unlikely they would use more than 5 or 10. You know of any other reason why that would happen?

This sometimes happens when users are using smartphones / certain internet connections to access your site. These connections use dynamic IP addresses that change every so often, or even every time a user goes to a page on your site. There’s little you can do about this. You either deal with an insecure site structure that allows sharing passwords, or you don’t support dynamic IPs (which are not that common).

Viewing 16 replies - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

This topic is closed to new replies. Topics with no replies for 2 weeks are closed automatically.

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Contacting s2Member: Please use our Support Center for bug reports, pre-sale questions & technical assistance.