latest stable versions: v150827 (changelog)

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

export settings and user data to new server

Home Forums Community Forum export settings and user data to new server

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices. Last updated by  Stuart Giles 4 years, 6 months ago.

Topic Author Topic
Posted: Thursday Jun 14th, 2012 at 8:42 pm #16527
meets2
Username: meets2

Hello,
I’m moving to a new server.
I’ve noticed the wonderful options for exporting and importing both user data and s2member settings.

I’ve exported s2member settings from the old site to the new one and it has worked nicely exempt for
Email configuration
Email From: “Name”

here it has not kept the old text but used the blog text from the new server, please allow it to keep the imported text.

The Login Welcome Page was not saved but I think this is an issue with us changing from subdomains to subdirectories effectively changing the link

Now the hard part
How do we export and import users?
One option that comes to mind and the preferred one would be to export users, import them and then ask all users (in one go) to please change password.
I understand the following explaination

Please note. Export files do NOT contain Passwords. Passwords are stored by WordPress® with one-way encryption. In other words, it’s not possible for s2Member to include them in the export file. However, this does NOT create a problem, because when/if you re-import existing Users/Members with the Password field empty, s2Member will simply keep the existing Password that is already on file. For further information, please read all Import instructions, regarding Passwords.

But how should I go about getting all users logged in to the new site and happy?

Thank you

• This topic was modified 4 years, 6 months ago by  meets2. Reason: typo

List Of Topic Replies

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
Author Replies
Author Replies
Posted: Thursday Jun 14th, 2012 at 8:46 pm #16529
meets2
Username: meets2

I have found this plugin
http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/import-users-from-csv/

here are the features

I needed to batch import users into WordPress but I didn’t find any plugin which would import all the user data fields as well as user meta.

This plugin allows you to import users from an uploaded CSV file. It will add users with basic information as well as meta fields and user role.

You can also choose to send a notification to the new users and to display password nag on user login.

Features
Imports all users fields
Imports user meta
Update existing users by specifying ID field
Allows setting user role
Sends new user notification (if the option is selected)
Shows password nag on user login (if the option is selected)

Could this be useful?

Posted: Friday Jun 15th, 2012 at 7:51 am #16574

Hi Meets.

I’ve exported s2member settings from the old site to the new one and it has worked nicely exempt for
Email configuration
Email From: “Name”

Thanks for reporting that. I’ll notify Jason.

I have found this plugin
http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/import-users-from-csv/

Could this be useful?

I’m not familiar with it, but you could try it. I don’t know how well it’d deal with the s2Member custom profile fields.

Now the hard part
How do we export and import users?
One option that comes to mind and the preferred one would be to export users, import them and then ask all users (in one go) to please change password.

Right, your users would need to use the “lost password” tool to get a new one generated.

Another option is to go to your database, export the users and usermeta tables, and import them to your new site using phpMyAdmin, for example. I haven’t tried this, but it’s worth a shot. I’m not sure if passwords would still work, because I’m not sure what WP uses to encrypt them, which may be different in the new site, but it’s worth a shot.

I hope that helps. :)

Posted: Wednesday Jun 20th, 2012 at 3:00 pm #17030
Stuart Giles
Username: Juggy69

Im in the same “Boat” and that plugin is usless

A personal option would be to export the users via S2 export feature

Use this plugin WP-Password Generator, it gives you a button on the users profile to generate a random password and emails it

Regards

Stuart

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

This topic is closed to new replies. Topics with no replies for 2 weeks are closed automatically.

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Contacting s2Member: Please use our Support Center for bug reports, pre-sale questions & technical assistance.