latest stable versions: v150827 (changelog)

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

ezPHP not working – extra space

Home Forums Community Forum ezPHP not working – extra space

Tagged: 

This topic contains 24 replies, has 4 voices. Last updated by  Pam 3 years, 7 months ago.

Topic Author Topic
Posted: Tuesday May 28th, 2013 at 3:57 pm #50762
Pam
Username: pdblizzard

Ezphp is not working correctly. It’s adding an extra space so that it does not evaluate as PHP, and it’s turning my code into this displaying literally in the browser:

I’ve disabled all other plugins, and reverted to the stock 2011 theme. Still the same problem. I’m not alone: http://wordpress.org/support/topic/space-added-to-between-opening-angle-bracket-and-in-pages?replies=3#post-4245028

Thanks!

List Of Topic Replies

Viewing 24 replies - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
Author Replies
Author Replies
Posted: Wednesday May 29th, 2013 at 1:21 am #50788

I have the same issue with ezPHP…

Posted: Wednesday May 29th, 2013 at 8:40 am #50824
Bruce
Username: Bruce
Staff Member

Thank you for reporting this important issue.

I’m going to have the development team look into this and we’ll get back to you ASAP.

Posted: Thursday May 30th, 2013 at 1:02 am #50897

While Jason gets around to this report, could you guys tell us what version of ezPHP you’re using? Is it the latest? Thanks!

Posted: Thursday May 30th, 2013 at 1:29 am #50901

version 130123

Posted: Thursday May 30th, 2013 at 1:34 am #50902

Thanks.

I have that version in my site too, but don’t see the problem happening…

Are you using the text or visual editor?

Posted: Thursday May 30th, 2013 at 6:30 am #50929
Pam

I am using Version 130123 also. I have disabled all other plugins, and reverted to 2011 theme and still the same problem. I only use the text editor when editing/saving a post or page with PHP.

I checked another website of mine that uses another older PHP enabling plugin, ‘Exec PHP’ and the same thing is happening with it, so perhaps it’s a WP thing, not confined to ezPHP.

With regard to ezPHP:

It only happens if I attempt to re-save the page/post that includes php. All my existing older code is still working, with no space.

I can go into the database and edit it directly to take out the space, resave the row, and that solves the problem.

Posted: Thursday May 30th, 2013 at 4:17 pm #50963

@christian, I use the text (of course???)

Posted: Friday May 31st, 2013 at 6:11 am #51020

Here’s what Jason said:

Jason Caldwell said:
This is a known issue in WordPress®. It’s not specific to ezPHP.

Solution: Disable the Visual Editor completely by editing your profile in the Dashboard. Turn off the Visual Editor completely. It’s not enough just to use the HTML tab; as that can still lead to some corruption; particularly if you switch back and forth between the HTML and Visual tabs in the editor.

For example; this:

<?php ?>

Might be converted into something like this:

< ?php ? >

Or even something like this:

&lt;?php ?&gt;
Posted: Friday May 31st, 2013 at 9:13 am #51042

With all respect but THAT is not a solution. I use the visual editor 99% of the time and only every once in a while I use the html/text tab.

Posted: Friday May 31st, 2013 at 11:23 am #51053
Pam

Cristián and Jason,
This answer does not apply to what’s happening. I am only using the TEXT editor. Please re-read the whole of my post above. (I also said there, “I only use the text editor when editing/saving a post or page with PHP.”

Thank you.

Posted: Friday May 31st, 2013 at 6:19 pm #51077

This answer does not apply to what’s happening. I am only using the TEXT editor. Please re-read the whole of my post above. (I also said there, “I only use the text editor when editing/saving a post or page with PHP.”

Not using the visual editor is not the same as having the visual editor disabled. [hilite path]Admin -> Profile -> Personal Options -> Visual Editor[/hilite]

With all respect but THAT is not a solution. I use the visual editor 99% of the time and only every once in a while I use the html/text tab.

I don’t know under what circumstances this problem happens. It doesn’t for me, but it does for you. Maybe it’s a combination of plugins.

You can try other PHP execution plugins, maybe one of those doesn’t run into this problem in your installation. http://wordpress.org/plugins/search.php?q=php+execution

Or you can try a raw tag plugin and maybe WordPress won’t filter that content where you’re using the PHP tags. http://wordpress.org/plugins/raw-html/

Posted: Friday May 31st, 2013 at 7:16 pm #51082
Pam

My visual editor is disabled:

http://dev.technicraft.net/test/

Posted: Friday May 31st, 2013 at 7:36 pm #51083

Okay.

You can try the suggestions I gave my my previous reply.

These can help find the cause if it’s because of a plugin/theme conflict: Knowledge Base » Common Troubleshooting Tips

Posted: Friday May 31st, 2013 at 7:46 pm #51084
Pam

My friend, I already said, I disabled all plugins and went to the 2011 style.

This is a plugin that is referred to all throughout your docs with regard to PHP conditionals.

Posted: Friday May 31st, 2013 at 7:53 pm #51085

Sorry I forgot you said that in the first post.

I’m sorry I couldn’t reproduce the problem you’re having. I’m just suggesting the things I’d try myself in case they help you.

Like trying raw tags around your code, or try other PHP execution plugins. Did you try those?

Posted: Friday May 31st, 2013 at 7:57 pm #51086
Pam

I also said earlier:

I checked another website of mine that uses another older PHP enabling plugin, ‘Exec PHP’ and the same thing is happening with it, so perhaps it’s a WP thing, not confined to ezPHP.

This is a larger issue than just your plugin. It seems to be with the way WP is saving and stripping the text/code to the DB. Must be since the last WP core update,because if I don’t go back and re-save those old posts with PHP (regardless of plugin) we’re ok.

You’ll have bigger issues if your customers cannot use the PHP conditionalsj with s2member. Just sayin’ ;)

Posted: Friday May 31st, 2013 at 8:00 pm #51087

Thanks for the feedback, Pam. I appreciate it. :)

Posted: Monday Jun 3rd, 2013 at 10:25 am #51217
Pam

I would appreciate more assistance in running this down. I know that we are no the only ones dealing with this issue, as there are also support requests for this out on the WP plugin repository for ezPHP.

I found another plugin that works, but it requires that you use short codes to get the actual code processed. I would prefer to use your plugin, of course! ;)

Please note:
* disabling all other plugins
* reverting to a 2011 or 2012 theme
* disabling visual editor

does NOT work

Weird thing is I set up a brand-new WP install with Server Press on my local machine, the plug in works fine.

I ran the server check on my production server where the plugin is NOT working and received the following errors and would appreciate your comments on which items (or if ALL items) might be the culprit:

Server Scan By: s2Member®

The following issues were discovered…

Error[ERROR] Multibyte String Extension
Missing PHP extension. s2Member® needs the mbstring extension for PHP. This will add multibyte support to your installation of PHP, allowing UTF-8 character conversion. Please consult with your web hosting company about this message.

Error[ERROR] Mcrypt/Encryption Extension
Missing Mcrypt extension. s2Member® needs the Mcrypt extension for PHP. This will add encryption support to your installation of PHP, with a variety of block algorithms; such as DES, TripleDES, and Blowfish. Please consult with your web hosting company about this message.

Error[ERROR] GD Image Extension (FreeType Support)
Missing FreeType library for GD Image extension. s2Member® needs the GD Image extension for PHP, with the FreeType library also. This will add image creation support to your installation of PHP, so that images can be generated dynamically. FreeType makes it possible for fonts to be used in image generation. Please consult with your web hosting company about this message.
Notice[NOTICE] WordPress® Memory Limit
AUTO-FIX!dismiss?

Although NOT required, s2Member® recommends that you raise your WordPress® memory limit (please set: WP_MEMORY_LIMIT in /wp-config.php), to at least 64M (i.e. 64 megabytes). Please see: this how-to article. Or consult with your web hosting company about this message. Your current memory limit allows only: 40M

Posted: Wednesday Jun 5th, 2013 at 5:14 am #51400

I don’t know if those things warned about in the server scanner would cause you the PHP tags problem, but they’re likely you to cause you other troubles and that’s why Jason added those checks. It’d be best for you to get them corrected following the advice to have your webhosting company help you get them solved.

Posted: Wednesday Jun 5th, 2013 at 3:18 pm #51423

Christian,

I read through this thread and to be honest, disabling the visual editor is NOT an option for me.
It seems to me a half baked solution to disable anything that makes life easier in setting up and maintaining sites.

So far, I cannot use ezPHP. I am also NOT willling to disable the visual editor. There must be a better solution.

Posted: Wednesday Jun 5th, 2013 at 4:19 pm #51425

Other than disabling the visual editor, I gave other suggestions to help you, did you try them? You don’t have to use ezPHP, please try other PHP execution plugins, there are several, some of them may not be subject to this WordPress issue in your installation. Or try the raw tags? I’m sorry, there’s nothing more I can say or do for you in this case. :/

Posted: Wednesday Jun 5th, 2013 at 5:19 pm #51430
Pam

boudewijn, I sent you a friend request on Facebook so I could share another PHP plugin that I found, that works. It uses short codes like [php] before your code, instead of of the

<?php

and it works in both editors. I didn’t know if it was appropriate to share here, but here goes:

http://wordpress.org/plugins/allow-php-in-posts-and-pages/

Most other php exec plugins that allow execution of php within the post, page or widget, require that you don’t use the visual editor.

This is a weird problem and again: I know that we are no the only ones dealing with this issue, as there are also support requests for this out on the WP plugin repository for ezPHP.

Posted: Saturday Jun 8th, 2013 at 2:47 am #51654

@Pam, I found that plugin to be buggy as well. for now I only do PHP in functions.php of my theme.
That way I can make shortcodes that will achieve what I want.
@Christian, I disabled all plugins except the ezPHP. I also disabled the visual editor.
Then tested the code but the space is still inserted.

Posted: Saturday Jun 8th, 2013 at 7:49 am #51671
Pam

Darn! Good to know. Keep me posted if you find something else. It’s good to know that it’s not just me!

Viewing 24 replies - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

This topic is closed to new replies. Topics with no replies for 2 weeks are closed automatically.

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Contacting s2Member: Please use our Support Center for bug reports, pre-sale questions & technical assistance.