latest stable versions: v150827 (changelog)

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Feature Request – Enhanced Imports

Home Forums Community Forum Feature Request – Enhanced Imports

This topic contains 7 replies, has 3 voices. Last updated by  Cristián Lávaque 4 years, 10 months ago.

Topic Author Topic
Posted: Friday Feb 10th, 2012 at 12:06 pm #4742
Ayman Hassan
Username: 4web

It would be useful to be able to get the user id upon importing user updates, so that when a csv file is imported, for each record to be imported, the import function identifies a field such as the login id or email or even better an s2Member custom field (to be set in import options) and queries the wp_user database for the ID number for that record. If the function returns null, then the record is imported as a new record. If the function returns a value, the import function uses that to update the user information with the information in the import file.

This would enable member-based organizations, where members do not normally sign up online, to easily update the online data base from a csv file produced by any other database.

On the surface, this would seem to be a relatively simple php loop to add to the import file and a fantastic enhancement to an already great product.

List Of Topic Replies

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
Author Replies
Author Replies
Posted: Tuesday Feb 14th, 2012 at 6:37 pm #5088

Hi Ayman.

That’s a great suggestion! I’m taking note of it right now to see if we can implement it in the next major release, which we’re working on.

Thank you! :)

Posted: Tuesday Feb 14th, 2012 at 6:44 pm #5091
Staff Member

Thanks for the heads up on this.

What you’ve described here is already possible in the current release of s2Member Pro. Mass updates to existing Users/Members is possible by including the User ID in your CSV import file. For further details on this, please see the documentation in your Dashboard, under:
s2Member -> Imports/Exports -> User Importation

If I missed something, please let me know :) Thanks!

Posted: Tuesday Feb 14th, 2012 at 7:25 pm #5106

I think he meant updating a user’s account when you don’t know his User ID.

Like, if the user is registered, already has an account, but is lacking a lot of profile info that the company already has from another database. In that case they’d want to import that data for the user, but that other database doesn’t have the WP User ID, so they’d need to be able to use another field to update the account with the new data. Some fields that may work, depending on the case, could be username, email address, full name.

Ayman, did I get it right?

Posted: Tuesday Feb 14th, 2012 at 9:17 pm #5127
Staff Member

Ah, thank you. Yes, I’ll see what we can do about this in a future release. Perhaps another alternative to match up existing Users/Members besides the WordPress User ID. Email address would work, that’s also unique, as-is Username. We’ll need to code that in though.

Currently, you’ll need to match the User ID.
Thanks for the clarification Cristian.

Posted: Tuesday Feb 14th, 2012 at 10:15 pm #5134

No problem. :)

Posted: Sunday Feb 26th, 2012 at 11:52 am #6457
Ayman Hassan
Username: 4web

Cristian, you got it right. :)

If you go the route of matching up on another field, I\’d really like to see the ability to choose a field, if possible, including any custom field. That way an organization could use an existing membership number as the match.

Thanks for taking a look at this suggestion.

(Sorry for the delay in replying, been away for awhile.)

Posted: Sunday Feb 26th, 2012 at 2:31 pm #6462

That’s a great suggestion. Thanks a lot! :)

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

This topic is closed to new replies. Topics with no replies for 2 weeks are closed automatically.

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Contacting s2Member: Please use our Support Center for bug reports, pre-sale questions & technical assistance.