latest stable versions: v150827 (changelog)

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Hide page title as well as page content

Home Forums Community Forum Hide page title as well as page content

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 17 replies, has 4 voices. Last updated by  Josey T 3 years, 7 months ago.

Topic Author Topic
Posted: Monday May 27th, 2013 at 5:58 pm #50726
Josey T
Username: fr35ht

Hi,
I just moved over from Wishlist member to S2memberPro.
With Wishlist, if you choose protect content it protects everything including the page title – it’s as if the page isn’t there at all, not there in the menu bar or anywhere.

I find that with S2member, the page’s title still appears in the Nav SideBar, only the content is hidden.

This is no good for me!

I tried the Alternative View Protection ->Nav Menus (I even checked the All when this didn’t work) but the page titles still show up.

What am I missing here?!

Thanks,
J

List Of Topic Replies

Viewing 17 replies - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
Author Replies
Author Replies
Posted: Tuesday May 28th, 2013 at 9:54 pm #50775

It could possibly be the way your theme is coded…Are you using a custom theme or one from the WordPress themes repository?

Posted: Wednesday May 29th, 2013 at 5:06 am #50805
Josey T

Hi Tina,
I’m using Twenty Ten, I also tried the Twenty Twelve Theme same thing.
Thanks

Posted: Thursday May 30th, 2013 at 12:46 am #50893

I tried the Alternative View Protection ->Nav Menus (I even checked the All when this didn’t work) but the page titles still show up.

That’s weird. Did you verify you’re logged out when you see the protected page in the menu?

What menus are you using? Did you create it or is it the one generated automatically by WordPress?

If you want, you can send your site’s info so we take a look. Please include the name of the protected page and what menu it shows up in. s2Member® » Private Contact Form

Please leave a reply letting me know you sent the info so I look for it. Thanks!

Posted: Thursday May 30th, 2013 at 1:26 pm #50956
Josey T

Hi,

My site is mepa.stipa.org.uk but I develop it using MAMP. There’s no way I would try out something on the live site before getting it to work there first.
Testing S2memberpro on MAMP I first deactivated wishlistmember, then activated s2member. I also use user role editor by Vladmir Garagulya.
I use just one simple navigation menu which is generated by the 2010 wordpress theme.
The content of the protected pages were blocked but the page titles both in the menu nav sidebar and the title at the top of the pages which should have been protected both showed up.
Frustrating!

I have been using Wishlist member and still do which is working ok but I don’t like the fact that their code is encrypted.
Trouble is there’s no way I can use S2member if the titles of protected pages show up!

Posted: Friday May 31st, 2013 at 8:05 am #51031
Bruce
Username: Bruce
Staff Member

Trouble is there’s no way I can use S2member if the titles of protected pages show up!

You said that these titles are showing up in your Navigation Menus. s2Member has Alternative View Protection which can help with this. Do you have these enabled?

See: Dashboard -› s2Member® -› Restriction Options -› Alternative View Protection

Posted: Friday May 31st, 2013 at 9:57 am #51046
Josey T

Thanks Bruce,

Yeah I went the Alternative View Protection route first thing cos i read about it on a previous forum – but it didn’t work.

Posted: Friday May 31st, 2013 at 6:35 pm #51080

I understand you’re working with a local server for your development. (By the way, did you see this section? [hilite path]Dashboard -› s2Member® -› General Options -› Localhost WAMP/MAMP Developers[/hilite])

Would it be possible for you to put it online somewhere (not the live site, just an online copy of the dev one) so I can have access to it to reproduce your problem and investigate it in your installation? s2Member® » Private Contact Form

Also, there’s a plugin that lets you use conditionals in your menus, which is another option to hide things. See:
http://wordpress.org/plugins/menu-items-visibility-control/
[hilite path]Dashboard -› s2Member® -› API / Scripting -› Advanced PHP Conditionals[/hilite]

This one may also help, lets you limit the menu visibility by WP role: http://wordpress.org/plugins/nav-menu-roles/

Posted: Saturday Jun 1st, 2013 at 11:19 am #51137
Josey T

Yeah I checked out the localhost developer options etc. thanks.

I’ve created a copy of the live site on another domain.

If you can give me your email I will securely send you site admin login details.

NB: The site is not https on this domain which concerns me. How can I make the logins more secure without ssl certificates?

Thanks J

Posted: Sunday Jun 2nd, 2013 at 2:48 am #51159

You can send your site info securely using our contact form: s2Member® » Private Contact Form

About the secure login, maybe there’s a plugin that helps you with that. http://wordpress.org/plugins/search.php?q=secure+login

s2Member also has a couple of restrictions to protect against login sharing or guessing. See:
[hilite path]Dashboard -› s2Member® -› Restriction Options -› Brute Force IP/Login Restrictions[/hilite]
[hilite path]Dashboard -› s2Member® -› Restriction Options -› Unique IP Access Restrictions[/hilite]

Posted: Tuesday Jun 4th, 2013 at 5:38 pm #51356

Thanks, got the email. I did several tests, still am not sure what the source of the problem is and I can’t reproduce it in my installation.

I first activated the Alt View Restriction, got the warning that the Membership Options Page is missing, so I went and set one, as well as the Login Welcome. I then noticed no page was restricted, so I restricted the Links one, but it still shows up in the navigation. I removed the main nav menu, moved widgets around, change themes, nothing.

I did notice one thing during all this, and it’s that the things I changed, most of the time weren’t reflected in the page right away. It looks as if I were getting them from the cache, and no amount of refreshing changed them to what I expected.

I had deactivated the WP Super Cache plugin, but there’s a cache drop-in that’s still there, I don’t know if active or not, but since I don’t have the FTP, i couldn’t go and remove it to test if it was that. I’m also wondering if your server has some caching outside of WordPress that may be causing this.

Caching is not a problem if configured properly. Pages for logged in users should not be cached, because they change from user to user depending on his access. Also, object and database caching are known to cause trouble, so these should not be enabled.

This is all I can tell from what I had access to. Could you confirm the caching thing I mentioned? Thanks.

Posted: Wednesday Jun 5th, 2013 at 2:28 am #51392
Josey T

Hi Cristian,
I don’t believe my server has any caching program – I am with dreamhost though so I’ll ask them.
If you think that ftp access is essential then it is something i would consider – but we’d have to address what to do if something went down and we couldn’t fix it! I am aware that we don’t have any kind of contract and that you are doing this out of good will!
I really can’t afford for my live site to break!

Thanks for your help with this, I do appreciate it.

J

Posted: Wednesday Jun 5th, 2013 at 2:34 am #51393
Josey T

Cristian,

One thing I could certainly do is to grant you full access to the database.

Would that help?

I could send it via the private contact form.

J

Posted: Wednesday Jun 5th, 2013 at 4:10 am #51397

No, the database would not help.

If you feel uncomfortable giving me FTP access, it’s okay not to do it, of course. Could you try removing the caching drop-in yourself? And make sure there aren’t other PHP files that have caching in the name, please. I just want to remove that as a possible cause.

Let’s see what the webhost says about caching on their side.

Do you have another webhost that you can try this with? It’d be good to see what results you have in another server.

Posted: Wednesday Jun 5th, 2013 at 4:22 am #51398

I couldn’t reproduce the top nav problem, but could reproduce it for the Pages widget. I left Jason a message, I’ll let you know what he replies as soon as I hear back from him.

Posted: Wednesday Jun 5th, 2013 at 5:35 am #51403
Josey T

Hi Cristian,

My hosting company got back to me:

“I looked into this
and found nothing on our end that should be causing that and we don’t
have any caching automatically enabled on any of our servers. You may
want to try resetting the cache within super-cache and see if that was an
issue.”

Guess this answers the question.
Do you still need access via ftp?
If you do then I would be prepared to give you that but would need your email account.

Thanks,

Posted: Thursday Jun 6th, 2013 at 8:22 am #51488
Bruce
Username: Bruce
Staff Member

Do you still need access via ftp?
If you do then I would be prepared to give you that but would need your email account.

You can send login details via Private Contact Form here:

s2Member® » Private Contact Form

I’ll let Cristian reply to your other information.

Posted: Thursday Jun 6th, 2013 at 11:08 am #51532
Josey T

Thanks Bruce,

It may be that ftp access is not needed – Dreamhost got back to me as above – so I’ll wait to see what Cristian says he needs.

J

Viewing 17 replies - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

This topic is closed to new replies. Topics with no replies for 2 weeks are closed automatically.

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Contacting s2Member: Please use our Support Center for bug reports, pre-sale questions & technical assistance.