latest stable versions: v150827 (changelog)

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

How can we secure an RSS feed URL?

Home Forums Community Forum How can we secure an RSS feed URL?

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices. Last updated by  Bruce 3 years, 9 months ago.

Topic Author Topic
Posted: Tuesday Mar 26th, 2013 at 1:09 pm #45800

How can we secure an RSS feed URL?

We have a secured Amazon S3 bucket that worked well until for some reason audio files stopped streaming. To keep our paying membership happy about the now failing podcast, we went into the S3 bucket and set the MP3 audio files to Public.

Once we did that we also needed to use the S3 bucket’s URL to get the podcast working again.

Rather than go through all of that, how can we specify that a feed URL is to be protected by s2Member so that for instance only member levels one and two can access the feed (i.e. using HTTP authentication or something). Then we wouldn’t need to worry about the feed failing because audio files suddenly have a 404 error message.

List Of Topic Replies

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
Author Replies
Author Replies
Posted: Wednesday Mar 27th, 2013 at 4:19 pm #45905
Bruce
Username: Bruce
Staff Member

The best way to handle this would probably be s2Member’s URI Restrictions. If you’d like to give me an example of a URL you’re looking to restrict, I’d be happy to help give you what you should fill in these fields.

See: Dashboard -› s2Member® -› Restriction Options -› URI Access Restrictions

Posted: Thursday Mar 28th, 2013 at 10:18 am #45975

Thank you Bruce,

Here is a sample URL:

http://www.ourdomainname.com/category/ourcategoryname/feed

If we secure the RSS feed address, will that also secure the audio files in the feed?

I ask this because in the other ticket I have going here, where the RSS feed audio files fail (404 and access denied), we had to remove the s2Member part of the code and link directly to the Amazon S3 bucket to get our membership happy again with our podcast–although now it is open to the world .

Thank you for the help.

Chris

Posted: Friday Mar 29th, 2013 at 4:34 pm #46086
Bruce
Username: Bruce
Staff Member

Thanks for the follow-up.

Based on the URL you provided, I’d say the easiest way to deal with this would be to add /feed to your URI Restrictions.

See: Dashboard -› s2Member® -› Restriction Options -› URI Access Restrictions

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

This topic is closed to new replies. Topics with no replies for 2 weeks are closed automatically.

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Contacting s2Member: Please use our Support Center for bug reports, pre-sale questions & technical assistance.