latest stable versions: v150827 (changelog)

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

How to add more levels (as new roles)

Home Forums Community Forum How to add more levels (as new roles)

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices. Last updated by  Cristián Lávaque 4 years ago.

Topic Author Topic
Posted: Wednesday Jan 2nd, 2013 at 8:47 am #35967
Oriol Boan
Username: orboan

Hello,
after reading docs and viewing vids I still don’t know for sure how to acomplish the next (I’ve purchased the pro version of s2member):

My website is for an education institution, so at least at the start I need to create the next roles:
– students (with custom capabilities assigned)
– parents (with custom capabilities assigned)
– teachers (with custom capabilities assigned)
– Administrative school employees (with custom capabilities assigned)
– guests (it could be the default wordpress subcriber)
– website managers (it could be the default wordpress editor)

All are meant to be FREE subscribers. Thus, I’d like to know how to create all this roles and assign to them custom capabilities, and integrate them with s2member and s2member levels. I think I can associate each role to one level, then I need to know how to assign new custom capabilities to every level (no needeing to put each custom capability in ccaps each time), how to rename each level to ‘students’, ‘teachers’ and so on, how to create more levels, as by default there are 5 (from 0 to 4), and how to make them all as free subscriptions with no paypal.

Please help, as I’ve spent lots of time browsing docs, forums and vids and I have some clues on how to proceed but I really don’t know how to start and what are exactly the steps. What I’ve already understood is how to put in practice custom capabilities, but I don’t want to use custom capabilities disgregated, instead integrated within a role.
Thanks in advance.
& Happy new Year!

• This topic was modified 4 years ago by  Oriol Boan.

List Of Topic Replies

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Author Replies
Author Replies
Posted: Wednesday Jan 2nd, 2013 at 12:41 pm #36003
Oriol Boan

C’on people, it is said that with s2memberPro you can create an unlimited amount of levels, therefore I’d like to know how to create them and give them the names mentioned and make them free (no paypal). Am I correct if I say that every level (the five default ones and all the ones you add with s2memberPro) is in fact a role where you can assign to them the custom capabilities you wish?

Thx!

Posted: Wednesday Jan 2nd, 2013 at 4:38 pm #36018
Eduan
Username: Eduan

Hello Oriol,

In order to have more than 4 levels you can do what’s specified here: Pre Sale FAQs » How can I extend s2Member® beyond four Levels?

And to rename them and such, I’m not sure if it would break s2Member to rename them, or if it would give you the expected result, but you can try using the user role editor plugin: http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/user-role-editor/

– Eduan

Posted: Wednesday Jan 2nd, 2013 at 6:03 pm #36020
Oriol Boan

Lot of thanks Eduan!
I’ll extend the number of levels to 10 by adding

define("MEMBERSHIP_LEVELS", 10); 

in

wp-config.php

. Once done, all levels can be used for free membership as explained in
s2Member (Free Registration On Multiple Levels?)
? I hope this is the way to make it so.
I also have understood every level is just like a role, in fact they are roles, and then I can try the plugin you mention User Role Editor to rename them.
Can anybody confirm this plugin is compatible with s2member? Has enybody tried it together with s2member?

How to add extra custom capabilities to every extra level? I’ve seen how to use the ccaps tag when making the buttons, but I still don’t see how can the custom capbilities be added to a level. For instance, the custom capability ‘video’ how to proceed to add it from level 7 to 0, but not to levels 8, 9 and 10 -this is only an example.

thx

• This reply was modified 4 years ago by  Oriol Boan.
  • This reply was modified 4 years ago by  Oriol Boan.
Posted: Thursday Jan 3rd, 2013 at 3:55 am #36069

Hi Oriol.

Once done, all levels can be used for free membership as explained in “s2Member (Free Registration On Multiple Levels)”?

Yes.

I also have understood every level is just like a role, in fact they are roles, and then I can try the plugin you mention User Role Editor to rename them.

They are roles, but don’t rename them. You can edit their capabilities, but if you rename them they become some other role.

Can anybody confirm this plugin is compatible with s2member? Has enybody tried it together with s2member?

Many have used it to edit s2Member roles.

How to add extra custom capabilities to every extra level? I’ve seen how to use the ccaps tag when making the buttons, but I still don’t see how can the custom capbilities be added to a level.

Add them as capabilities of the s2Member Level role. Custom capabilities would be prefixed with [hilite mono]access_s2member_ccap_[/hilite], e.g. [hilite mono]access_s2member_ccap_video[/hilite].

I hope that helps. :)

Posted: Thursday Jan 3rd, 2013 at 6:53 am #36096
Oriol Boan

Thanks Cristián!
Now I can work with 10 membership levels.

I’ll try to achieve the requirements of my business model. If find any prob, I’ll post a message again.

Regards.

Posted: Saturday Jan 5th, 2013 at 6:13 am #36241

Cool. :)

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

This topic is closed to new replies. Topics with no replies for 2 weeks are closed automatically.

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Contacting s2Member: Please use our Support Center for bug reports, pre-sale questions & technical assistance.