latest stable versions: v150827 (changelog)

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Importing from WPMU Membership to S2Member

Home Forums Community Forum Importing from WPMU Membership to S2Member

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices. Last updated by  Cristián Lávaque 4 years, 6 months ago.

Topic Author Topic
Posted: Thursday Jun 14th, 2012 at 1:05 pm #16492
Ryan Ott
Username: rynobot

I’m in the process of moving an existing site from WPMU Membership to S2Member and have a few questions…

Can I import only the necessary information for each user to update them to S2Member?

For example, I only need to update the user’s role (s2_level1, s2_level2, etc.), payment gateway and the EOT date. Using the exported list from the existing site, can I safely strip out all of the extraneous columns and re-import only the necessary information leaving everything else unchanged?

We currently have roughly 2200 paid members and want to make the conversion as seamless as possible.

List Of Topic Replies

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Author Replies
Author Replies
Posted: Friday Jun 15th, 2012 at 6:58 am #16564

Hi Ryan.

I’m afraid the current importer does require all the columns:

[hilite mono]"ID","Username","Password","First Name","Last Name","Display Name","Email","Website","Role","Custom Capabilities","Registration Date","First Payment Date","Last Payment Date","Auto-EOT Date","Custom Value","Paid Subscr. ID","Paid Subscr. Gateway"[/hilite]

I just tested having only the ID and Role, and it wouldn’t work. You should do a few tests with a test user account, import it several times in different ways to see what you can and can’t to.

You can export your users first, then edit the desired columns, leaving the others untouched, and import them back to update them. [hilite path]Dashboard -› s2Member® -› Import/Export -› User/Member Exportation[/hilite]

In any case, I suggest that you do a backup before you start testing or actually updating the users. It’s always safe and a good idea to do that.

Posted: Saturday Jun 16th, 2012 at 6:22 am #16659
Staff Member

Thanks for the heads up on this request for support.

The minimum required import columns are as follows, in this order. The ID column can be left empty, but all of these other minimum requirements MUST be filled in.
"ID","Username","Password","First Name","Last Name","Display Name","Email"

All of the other columns are optional, and can be included in whole, or in part, as needed. So for instance, in your case, you just need to update the Role and EOT Time, as you mentioned before. So you might do something like this. So long as you keep the columns in order, leaving those which you don’t need to import empty, you’ll be fine.

"ID","Username","Password","First Name","Last Name","Display Name","Email","","Level[0-9]+ or Role ID","","","","","Auto-EOT Date ( mm/dd/yyyy )"

Following this example, this imports a new user “johndoe22”, at Level #1, with an EOT Time set to: 12/12/2012

"","johndoe22","49348xSD9d","John","Doe","Johnny","johndoe22@example.com","","1","","","","","12/12/2012"
Posted: Saturday Jun 16th, 2012 at 9:27 pm #16696
Ryan Ott

Excellent.

I will be testing this over the next few days and let you know how things turn out.

Thank you!

Posted: Wednesday Jun 20th, 2012 at 5:24 pm #17039
Ryan Ott

OK, I’ve managed to get a few dozen users imported to a MAMP test site, but I have another question…

Can I create a new import file (CSV) with ONLY the information I need to change and have it override the existing info?

In other words, do I need to delete the existing users and re-import them, or can I just import the revised file and populate the new fields?

Apologies for being a pain – the idea of deleting existing 2500 users and re-importing them 100 at a time is keeping me up at night…

Posted: Thursday Jun 21st, 2012 at 7:57 am #17108

You can update them, instead of creating them, if you add the user’s ID in the first column.

About the 100 limit, if you have enough memory and no time out issues, try adding more and see if it lets you. If it doesn’t, you can hack s2Member’s code to remove the limitation and do more than that in a go. Haven’t tried it, but I guess you could.

I hope that helps. :)

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

This topic is closed to new replies. Topics with no replies for 2 weeks are closed automatically.

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Contacting s2Member: Please use our Support Center for bug reports, pre-sale questions & technical assistance.