latest stable versions: v150827 (changelog)

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Individualized Content

Home Forums Community Forum Individualized Content

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices. Last updated by  Cristián Lávaque 4 years, 5 months ago.

Topic Author Topic
Posted: Friday Aug 10th, 2012 at 2:24 pm #21727
Rachel Vane
Username: rcvane

I’d like to create something like a member site, but have the capability to individualize it for each person: where I can add a calendar, videos, pdfs, notes, etc. just for that one person to use and access. I’d also like it to send automatic daily emails to the each person what’s on their calendar for that day. Is this something that can be easily achieved with any of the S2member plugins?

Thanks bunches! :)

List Of Topic Replies

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
Author Replies
Author Replies
Posted: Friday Aug 10th, 2012 at 9:57 pm #21737
Randy King
Username: RandyKing

Rachel –

I am doing something similar, only for groups of people. I am doing this at the Free Membership (Level 0), but it is applicable to all levels. Here’s one way that you would implement the content access part. And I realize you posted this in the “pre-sales” area, and my answer is very hands-on how-to technical. In case you start playing with it, you can use this… :)

1. Determine the full set of capabilities that you want to extend to people. For example, one or more people get access to a calendar, one or more people get access to “training video 1”, certain others get access to “instructional PDF file 5”. You get the idea, now you have a list of these capabilities.

2. Assign a short mnemonic to each of these capabilities; e.g. from the examples above, you might end up with the mnemonics “pcal”, “trvid1”, “instp5”.

3. Now go to your users table through S2 or WordPress (e.g., Users->All Users), find the person you want to have access to, say, a calendar and instructional PDF 5 and click on their user name or the “Edit” link.

4. Scroll down to the bottom of that page under “s2Member Configuration & Profile Fields”, and find the field named “Custom Capabilities” and in there, type the following: pcal,instp5 and then click “Update User” at the bottom. You just added a comma-separated list of your mnemonics describing the custom capabilities that you want that person to have.

5. Now go to the members-only page, whatever that is for you – perhaps defined under the S2Member control panel heading “s2Member->General Options->Login Welcome Page”, and add code like this…

Hello [s2Get constant="S2MEMBER_CURRENT_USER_FIRST_NAME" /], and welcome to your membership area.  You have been here [s2Get constant="S2MEMBER_CURRENT_USER_LOGIN_COUNTER" /] times before.

<?php if (current_user_can("access_s2member_ccap_pcal")){ ?>
	<a href="http://link-to-calendar-page">Click Here</a> to access your calendar.		
<?php } ?>

<?php if (current_user_can("access_s2member_ccap_trvid1")){ ?>
	<a href="http://link-to-training-video-1">Click Here</a> to access training video 1.		
<?php } ?>

<?php if (current_user_can("access_s2member_ccap_instp5")){ ?>
	<a href="http://link-to-instructional page pdf file">Click Here</a> to download instructional document 5.		
<?php } ?>

Do you see your mnemonic at the end of the “access_s2member_ccap_” constant? It’s just your word tacked onto the end of the constant.

Of course, you need to create the actions necessary for your website when a “custom capability” is set for a person; the above code example just takes them to a specific page (which you should have protected at level 0) or downloads the PDF. It’s worth noting that in the code above, if the person does not have a particular capability that nothing will be displayed for them on the page. They won’t even see the link, say, to training video 1.

It’s certainly not all-inclusive, and only one approach. s2member has tremendous flexibility that becomes more and more apparent as you use it. I hope that gets you thinking about how you might approach the problem.

Randy

• This reply was modified 4 years, 5 months ago by  Randy King.
Posted: Friday Aug 10th, 2012 at 11:18 pm #21745
Rachel Vane
Username: rcvane

What an excellent response Randy! I really can’t thank you enough. I am actually looking into it for a potential client and ideally, everything needs to be simple for him to maintain. One other person recommended I look into a WP Multisite for the solution, and another person thought this plugin would be easier to manage. I think I still have some investigating to do, but this looks like it could be workable! :)!

Posted: Saturday Aug 11th, 2012 at 3:49 am #21758

Rachel, this video may also be of interest to you: Video » s2Member (Client Portals?)

Thanks for your help, Randy! :)

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

This topic is closed to new replies. Topics with no replies for 2 weeks are closed automatically.

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Contacting s2Member: Please use our Support Center for bug reports, pre-sale questions & technical assistance.