latest stable versions: v150827 (changelog)

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Issue with social sharing buttons

Home Forums Community Forum Issue with social sharing buttons

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices. Last updated by  Vincent Miele 3 years, 11 months ago.

Topic Author Topic
Posted: Thursday Jan 17th, 2013 at 3:35 pm #37929

I am creating an s2member site at
http://pianowizardacademy.com/play/campus/ (temporary urls)

I have a problem with social sharing buttons (facebook share, etc).

Although many pages are not protected and available for public viewing, the content within the
shared text is pointing to text from the membership options page.

I do not know how to overcome that so the actual content on the page is shared.

Anyone?

thanks

List Of Topic Replies

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
Author Replies
Author Replies
Posted: Saturday Jan 19th, 2013 at 9:47 pm #38362
Staff Member

Thanks for your inquiry. ~ We appreciate your patience :-)

Can you please give us a specific URL this is happening with? It sounds to me like the Facebook crawler is being redirected to your Membership Options Page because the content it’s trying to access is protected. If that’s the case, it would be expected (i.e. the correct behavior). If this is happening on public pages that are NOT protected in any way, there is a problem somewhere. If you can point us to a specific URL, we might be able to help you.

Posted: Saturday Jan 19th, 2013 at 10:13 pm #38366

Hi Jason. Actually, after further investiating since I posted, it appears it’s working as it should.

http://pianowizardacademy.com/play/campus

Most of the posts require membership to view so when someone (who is logged in) wants to share a page protected post, it’s just drawing content from membership options page. That page is set up with all the shortcodes based on their memberships, but obviously, if a member tries to share the page, whatever content I have in there goes in the share rather than the content of the post.

I don’t know the way around other than to write very cleverly in the membership options page. Add to that we really don’t want to “share” the membership options page.

If you have any other thoughts on this, I welcome them

thanks

• This reply was modified 3 years, 11 months ago by  Vincent Miele.
Posted: Sunday Jan 20th, 2013 at 5:02 pm #38490
Staff Member

Thanks for your reply :-)

So what’s happening is that you have Members logging in to view protected content. Some of that protected content you’ve made shareable through services like Facebook? If that’s the case, it’s not going to work. Protected content is not shareable. If you attempt to share this content through Facebook, the Facebook crawler (NOT the member who is logged-in attempting to share the content), is what’s parsing the data from your site. The Facebook crawler (like any other crawler, or non-member), will not be allowed to view this content. Instead, these crawlers would be redirected to your Membership Options Page.

We’ve had some site owners attempt to custom code exceptions into s2Member using Hooks/Filters that look for the Facebook crawler with the $_SERVER['HTTP_USER_AGENT'] header value. While this can work, it opens a huge security hole on your site, because the User-Agent header can be forged. I don’t recommend it.

See: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/8626812/how-to-recognize-facebook-user-agent

Posted: Sunday Jan 20th, 2013 at 5:18 pm #38494

thanks Jason.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

This topic is closed to new replies. Topics with no replies for 2 weeks are closed automatically.

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Contacting s2Member: Please use our Support Center for bug reports, pre-sale questions & technical assistance.