latest stable versions: v150827 (changelog)

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

JWPlayer, FlowPlayer, Amazon and Rackspace

Home Forums Community Forum JWPlayer, FlowPlayer, Amazon and Rackspace

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices. Last updated by  Cristián Lávaque 3 years, 10 months ago.

Topic Author Topic
Posted: Wednesday Mar 6th, 2013 at 4:52 pm #43903

The “confuseder” I get.

I’ve been doing research on the possibility of using FlowPlayer over JWPlayer in S2Member. But I have found zero support within the S2Member site for using FlowPlayer. Where asked a year ago in the forum, no reply was given…by anybody.

So even though the features list says FlowPlayer compatibile, it’s not really possible…since there are no instructions/videos on how to actually pull it off.

Then…
In relation to Amazon S3/Cloudfront vs Rackspace CloudFiles. As near as I can tell, Amazon is the only other option for protected downloads besides the local “/wp-content/plugins/s2member-files” directory? …because I’m not finding a way (or any mention) to configure a Rackspace CloudFiles CDN container or any other URL for that matter.

Then…
In trying to do any searches on the S2Members site using the search function (like the good forum citizen I am), it seems that the results (provided by Google Custom Search) is throwing unrelated websites from all over the place with topics not specific to S2Member and to sites having nothing to do with S2Member. Me thinks the custom part of the Google Custom search needs deeper, more targeted customization.

I’ve been for a LONG TIME trying to do some real in depth research within the S2Member docs, videos, discussions, and I’m finding that either nobody talks about this stuff on this site or you must obey and only use “Amazon S3/CloudFront, JWPlayer, and MailChimp” or else you’re on your own to guess and peck.

As a side note: MailChimp hates (and bans) all affiliate marketers, per their TOS…which pretty much thwaps in the face many of the people who would use S2Member because of your deeper integration plans you have with MailChimp only. I would have coffee with Aweber or another, and go deeper with an ally of marketers instead of an opponent.

Any guidance or links (AT ALL) to documentation related my FlowPlayer and Rackspace integration with S2Member research would be GREATLY appreciated.

List Of Topic Replies

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
Author Replies
Author Replies
Posted: Friday Mar 8th, 2013 at 12:38 pm #44091

Hi Gary.

So even though the features list says FlowPlayer compatibile, it’s not really possible…since there are no instructions/videos on how to actually pull it off.

That there isn’t a tutorial, doesn’t mean it isn’t possible.

We provided instructions (and lately an integration with shortcodes) for JW to help site owners with a popular free player, but it already takes a lot of our time to solve issues related to it. We can’t do the same for more players.

The code samples given for JW Player may help give an idea of how to use another player. Of course you’d use their code, but the uses of variables related to the s2Member protected files can be studied from the JW samples.

[hilite path]Dashboard -› s2Member® -› Download Options -› JW Player® & RTMP Protocol Examples[/hilite]
Knowledge Base » JW Player Sample Code Not Working?

In relation to Amazon S3/Cloudfront vs Rackspace CloudFiles. As near as I can tell, Amazon is the only other option for protected downloads besides the local “/wp-content/plugins/s2member-files” directory?

Correct.

As a side note: MailChimp hates (and bans) all affiliate marketers, per their TOS…which pretty much thwaps in the face many of the people who would use S2Member because of your deeper integration plans you have with MailChimp only. I would have coffee with Aweber or another, and go deeper with an ally of marketers instead of an opponent.

s2Member integrates with AWeber too. [hilite path]Dashboard -› s2Member® -› API / List Servers -› AWeber®[/hilite]

And you can integrate with other email autorresponder services using their API and the s2Member Notifications API. [hilite path]Dashboard -› s2Member® -› API / List Servers -› Other Integration Methods[/hilite]

I hope that helps. :)

Posted: Friday Mar 8th, 2013 at 1:51 pm #44111

Thanks for the reply

That there isn’t a tutorial, doesn’t mean it isn’t possible.

True, that I’m sure it’s possible. But it shocks me that nobody has even mentioned it…or where it was mentioned, nobody replied. And, for a non-developer, having no documentation, guidance or even prior discussion means it’s simply a no-go.

We provided instructions (and lately an integration with shortcodes) for JW to help site owners with a popular free player, but it already takes a lot of our time to solve issues related to it. We can’t do the same for more players.

That is what I thought to be peculiar. S2Member says JWPlayer is free, however JWPlayer is not free for commercial purposes, and I can’t think of a single instance where S2Member would be used for anything other than a commercial purpose. Yet THAT is the player S2Member integrates into their documentation and shortcodes.

However, FlowPlayer, IS free for commercial purposes. Yet THAT player is the one chosen to not be documented or shortcoded.

It was just weird to me, the effort and intense support, documentation and integration (deeper integration with MailChimp? an affiliate marketer’s opponent?) are applied to providers and 3rd party things that seem to be counter productive.

So obviously my next mission will be to develop a tutorial on FlowPlayer (the legally free player) integration with S2Member…for those who can’t see paying $99/year for the proper single domain JWPlayer license. I’ll mention it in the forums when it’s done so something on the topic can actually be found.

Posted: Tuesday Mar 12th, 2013 at 2:21 am #44326

S2Member says JWPlayer is free, however JWPlayer is not free for commercial purposes, and I can’t think of a single instance where S2Member would be used for anything other than a commercial purpose.

That’s a good point you raise. I’ll have to ask Jason why he chose JW when he decided to do a closer integration with a particular player.

I’ll mention it in the forums when it’s done so something on the topic can actually be found.

Thanks! Looking forward to that. :)

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

This topic is closed to new replies. Topics with no replies for 2 weeks are closed automatically.

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Contacting s2Member: Please use our Support Center for bug reports, pre-sale questions & technical assistance.