latest stable versions: v150827 (changelog)

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

limiting membership

Home Forums Community Forum limiting membership

This topic contains 10 replies, has 2 voices. Last updated by  Cristián Lávaque 3 years, 9 months ago.

Topic Author Topic
Posted: Friday Mar 22nd, 2013 at 1:55 am #45445

Currently I have two levels of membership on my site. level 0 and level 1.

Level 0 members can only read a certain amount of articles.
Level 1 members can read all articles and write content themselves.

What I would like to do is restrict the level 0 membership to a few months, meaning that the EOT would be filled automagically when somebody subscribes as a level 0 member.

Is that possible and if so, how do I achieve that?

List Of Topic Replies

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
Author Replies
Author Replies
Posted: Friday Mar 22nd, 2013 at 9:54 am #45488

You can either sell a buy-now, which won’t be recurring and sets the EOT immediately, or sell a subscription with a set number of payments, after which it’ll end and set the EOT. [hilite path]Dashboard -› s2Member® -› PayPal® Buttons -› Shortcode Attributes -> rrt[/hilite]

Posted: Friday Mar 22nd, 2013 at 6:05 pm #45529

level 0 is NOT a buy now (that is another issue I work on) and it is a free subscription so adding PayPal is useless.
All I want is to create a time-limited level 0 subscription.

BL

Posted: Monday Mar 25th, 2013 at 4:57 pm #45678

OK, still waiting for an answer. How can I limit the time somebody has a level 0 subscription… automagically…

Posted: Tuesday Mar 26th, 2013 at 4:11 am #45700

There aren’t level 0 subscriptions. Level 0 is the free level. Subscriptions are sold for level 1 or higher.

When a subscription ends, the EOT demotion would bring his level down to 0. If the user is already at 0, what would the demotion be? [hilite path]Dashboard -› s2Member® -› PayPal® Options -› Automatic EOT Behavior[/hilite]

I’m not sure I understand what you’re trying to do.

Do you mean to have a free level for a certain time and then remove that free access? If so, you could use the free registration pro-form to give Level 1 for free, and the demotion would bring him down to 0, where you’d have less content.

Posted: Tuesday Mar 26th, 2013 at 9:01 am #45740

As soon as people follow this link they can subscribe and are assigned a level 0 access.
I can create pages and posts that are accessible from level 0 and higher OR add no restriction at all. making all info accessible for whoever comes to the site…

So there IS indeed a level 0 subscription and I want to limit that to a certain amount of time.

Once more the question, how do I do that.

Posted: Tuesday Mar 26th, 2013 at 9:52 am #45748

Normally subscriptions are the recurring payment profiles created with the payment gateway. I guess that’s why I was misunderstanding you.

You can set the EOT using the [hilite mono]tp[/hilite] and [hilite mono]tt[/hilite] attributes in the free registration pro-form. [hilite path]Dashboard -› s2Member® -› PayPal® Pro Forms -› Shortcode Attributes (Explained)[/hilite]

And how do you want to end this level 0 access? Demotion won’t work because the user would already be at Level 0. Deleting the account? If so, change the EOT behavior to remove instead of demote. [hilite path]Dashboard -› s2Member® -› PayPal® Options -› Automatic EOT Behavior[/hilite]

Posted: Wednesday Mar 27th, 2013 at 1:55 am #45847

Ah yes, now I see the idea behind it. OK, so level 0 can not be demoted. Just wondering then if there is a possibility to make all posts and pages be for level 0 as a standard and only change that to either a higher level of no level at all. That wwould be a real time saver.

Posted: Wednesday Mar 27th, 2013 at 10:08 pm #45946

You can protect all posts and pages at level 0, adding [hilite mono]all[/hilite] to the level 0 field in the Page and Post access restrictions.

[hilite path]Dashboard -› s2Member® -› Restriction Options -› Post Access Restrictions[/hilite]
[hilite path]Dashboard -› s2Member® -› Restriction Options -› Page Access Restrictions[/hilite]

Then you can add the ID of particular posts or pages to a higher level too. I’m afraid that when using [hilite mono]all[/hilite] there isn’t a way to unprotect a particular one yet, though.

Posted: Thursday Mar 28th, 2013 at 1:25 am #45962

Just tested, tp and tt do the magic. Thanks for the tip.
For my understanding Christian, the following:
Do I understand correct that level 1 can be demoted to level 0 (so the data remains in the database)?
Is it also possible to demote a level 2 to level 1 with a limitation as it is now for that level, and then demote them to level 0 when that eot expires?
I now have some subscribers who paid me differently than by PayPal. They do not have a recurring payment (yet).
So I need to mae some sort of mechanism for that.

Posted: Friday Mar 29th, 2013 at 9:21 am #46050

You can only have one demotion role in s2Member, which by default is 0, but can be changed to another one. Knowledge Base » Forcing A Specific Demotion Role

If you need different demotions depending on the user’s current level, you’ll have to create a customization to achieve it. This may help: Knowledge Base » Changing Roles/Capabilities via PHP

I now have some subscribers who paid me differently than by PayPal. They do not have a recurring payment (yet).

You can enter an EOT time manually in the user’s profile. Just remember that if you do this to a user that has a subscription in PayPal, then the time you enter manually is the one that’ll be used and won’t be updated by changes in the subscription (e.g. new payments).

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

This topic is closed to new replies. Topics with no replies for 2 weeks are closed automatically.

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Contacting s2Member: Please use our Support Center for bug reports, pre-sale questions & technical assistance.