latest stable versions: v150827 (changelog)

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Limiting the number of countries -tax

Home Forums Community Forum Limiting the number of countries -tax

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices. Last updated by  Mike Sinibaldi 3 years, 6 months ago.

Topic Author Topic
Posted: Tuesday Jun 11th, 2013 at 10:16 am #51766

Gentleman,

I searched the forums and can’t seem to find the answer to my questions. If there is a topic that supports my request, please point me in the right direction.

Here is my question.

I am interested in learning how to limit the number of countries in the S2 Pro form. My reasoning is that I can’t and do not want to be responsible for collecting tax and or keeping up with international laws to run my small business.

My customer base is primarily US but my next tier of continental support comes from Singapore, UK, Canada, Russia and Australia. I know how to calculate the tax but really need to limit the form field for ‘countries’ so that I’m not creating a nightmare.

I realize that I could just place a notice to potential customers that specifies what countries I do business with in front of the form. However, we all know that won’t stop everyone.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

List Of Topic Replies

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Author Replies
Author Replies
Posted: Wednesday Jun 12th, 2013 at 5:54 am #51812

I’ll have to ask Jason if there’s a way to limit sales to only ceratin countries. I’ll let you know what he says.

About taxes, you don’t need to set a tax for each specific country, you can have a default tax rate and then specific ones for certain countries. [hilite path]Dashboard -› s2Member -› PayPal/Auth.Net Options -› Tax Rate Calculations[/hilite]

Posted: Wednesday Jun 12th, 2013 at 7:18 am #51823

Thanks

Posted: Sunday Jun 16th, 2013 at 7:14 am #52011

Christian,

Any word back from Jason on this? I am ready to launch my business and can’t until I know my limitations here.

Thanks

Posted: Tuesday Jun 18th, 2013 at 12:01 am #52063

I just got word back from him. This is what he said:

You can edit this file: s2member-pro/includes/iso-3166-1.txt
removing lines w/ countries you do NOT want to support.

However, I don’t recommend this for two reasons.

– You will have to update this file each time you update s2Member Pro.
– In my experience a customer in a country that you do not support will simply lie when they fill out the form; choosing a country that you DO support; and often times this will still be allowable; depending on your fraud control configuration within PayPal.

A better solution is to wrap your Pro Form Shortcode inside a conditional expression:

<?php if($visitor_country !== 'unsupported-country'){ ?>
   [[s2Member-Pro-PayPal-Form /]]
<?php } else { ?>
   Sorry, we don't offer services to visitors from: unsupported-country.
<?php } ?>

Where [hilite mono]$visitor_country[/hilite] is determined based on IP address. Please consult with your hosting company about how to obtain this information. Some hosting companies will provide details based on IP address in [hilite mono]$_SERVER[/hilite] environment variables. See also: http://www.maxmind.com/en/geolocation_landing

If you don’t know how to implement this, you may want to get a freelancer from a site like jobs.wordpress.net, odesk.com or elance.com.

Posted: Wednesday Jun 19th, 2013 at 7:27 pm #52248

Thanks very much. I’ll look into that solution.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

This topic is closed to new replies. Topics with no replies for 2 weeks are closed automatically.

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Contacting s2Member: Please use our Support Center for bug reports, pre-sale questions & technical assistance.