latest stable versions: v150827 (changelog)

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Login and user role question

Home Forums Community Forum Login and user role question

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices. Last updated by  Cristián Lávaque 4 years ago.

Topic Author Topic
Posted: Saturday Dec 8th, 2012 at 2:45 pm #34011

I have seen a few posts recommending the User Role plugin to change the default assigned role. But it also says that S2 Member has its own capabilities even with the plugin installed. So my question is, I just need my members to be able to post and use another custom post type that is set up. If i change the default role to something higher, and then limit the access I need with Adminimize, will s2 member honor this?

Other question is I have free reg. set up, when I login using front end widget, clicking the “My Account” link does nothing. Is that because its currently free and no payments were made or is something not working?

List Of Topic Replies

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
Author Replies
Author Replies
Posted: Sunday Dec 9th, 2012 at 2:21 pm #34057
Bruce
Username: Bruce
Staff Member

Hi Scott,

If i change the default role to something higher, and then limit the access I need with Adminimize, will s2 member honor this?

This should work correctly, as s2Member does not natively support admin access, and none of s2Member’s roles allow access to anything that you might not want users to be able to access.

However, instead of changing the default user role completely, you may just want to add permissions to do what you want to the s2Member levels that you have set up. This way you won’t run into any issues in the future with Content Dripping, or using conditionals.

Also, you’ll want to disable the admin redirect if you want users to be able to access /wp-admin/. There’s info in this post about how you can do that.

Other question is I have free reg. set up, when I login using front end widget, clicking the “My Account” link does nothing. Is that because its currently free and no payments were made or is something not working?

The My Account link should still work, even if you’re only using free subscriptions. It uses the url set up in Dashboard -› s2Member® -› General Options -› Login Welcome Page. Please ensure that your Login Welcome Page is set up correctly.

Posted: Sunday Dec 9th, 2012 at 4:23 pm #34074

Thank you. One question though, you said “you may just want to add permissions to do what you want to the s2Member levels that you have set up.”….if I want to allow them certain dashboard functions, is that configured in s2 or is it a hack?

Posted: Monday Dec 10th, 2012 at 7:14 am #34121

No, s2Member doesnt’ manage access to the back end, only the front end. For dashboard access edits, you’ll need hack, not sure what, though. I know that some WP capabilities change the dashboard access, but I think there are also ways to show/hide item menues, etc, to customize the dashboard access.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

This topic is closed to new replies. Topics with no replies for 2 weeks are closed automatically.

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Contacting s2Member: Please use our Support Center for bug reports, pre-sale questions & technical assistance.