latest stable versions: v150827 (changelog)

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

members remain free subscribers after Paying!

Home Forums Community Forum members remain free subscribers after Paying!

This topic contains 9 replies, has 2 voices. Last updated by  Mike (Volunteer Moderator) 3 years, 5 months ago.

Topic Author Topic
Posted: Wednesday Jul 31st, 2013 at 3:11 pm #54531
lisa carr
Username: pageadmin

hi –
I am having issues with S2….

i have had a few people renew their accounts through paypal and not be automatically upgraded from a free subscriber.

i have also had 2 or 3 people pay for membership – and i cannot see them in the members!

and lastly, i received a payment from paypal with what looks like a subscription :
Subscription details
Amount received: $35.00 USD
For: membership
Amount paid each time: $35.00 USD
Maximum amount you can bill: $35.00 USD
Billing cycle: Yearly
Next payment due: May 31, 2014

BUT – i did not setup automatic subscriptions. here is my code for that button:
[s2Member-PayPal-Button level="1" ccaps="" desc="Individual 1 year membership / $35" ps="paypal" lc="" cc="USD" dg="0" ns="1" custom="www.giftedpage.org" ta="0" tp="0" tt="D" ra="35." rp="1" rt="Y" rr="BN" rrt="" rra="1" image="default" output="button" /]

what’s going on?!!!!

List Of Topic Replies

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
Author Replies
Author Replies
Posted: Thursday Aug 1st, 2013 at 12:52 pm #54616

The first thing to do in a case like this is to enable logging. It sounds to me like there is something missing or invalid in your configuration and s2Member® is having some trouble behind-the-scene. Please see: Dashboard -› s2Member® -› Log Files (Debug) -› Logging Configuration

Once logging is enabled, please take a look at this log file after running a test transaction.
See: Dashboard -› s2Member® -› Log Files (Debug) -› Log Viewer
Look at the paypal-ipn.log for an any indication of a problem.

Posted: Thursday Aug 1st, 2013 at 1:28 pm #54621
lisa carr

Hi Mike

thanks for your reply

i actually just looked at the paypal ipn log before i did anything and i noticed that the last entry is April 11th – yet the payments that did not upgrade the people to a member are from june and july.

so …. obviously there are problems….. i just don’t know how to fix them!

i am wondering if it is due to updating wordpress ???

Posted: Thursday Aug 1st, 2013 at 2:02 pm #54626

i am wondering if it is due to updating wordpress ???

It’s most likely something with your IPN URL. Have a look at your Dashboard here. See: Dashboard -› s2Member® -› PayPal® Options -› PayPal® IPN Integration. Grab the IPN URL from that section and visit it directly in your browser. You should get a blank page, but this will generate an entry in your log file. If it doesn’t, be sure logging is still enabled. See: Dashboard -› s2Member® -› Log Files (Debug) -› Logging Configuration

Posted: Thursday Aug 1st, 2013 at 2:29 pm #54628
lisa carr

Hi Mike

this is what i see:

LOG ENTRY: Thu Aug 1st, 2013 @ precisely 6:25 pm UTC
PHP v5.2.17 :: WordPress® v3.5.2 :: s2Member® v130617 :: s2Member® Pro v130617
Memory 20.03 MB :: Real Memory 20.25 MB :: Peak Memory 20.09 MB :: Real Peak Memory 20.25 MB

User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.8; rv:22.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/22.0
array (
  's2member_log' => 
  array (
    0 => 'Unable to verify $_POST vars. This is most likely related to an invalid configuration of s2Member, or a problem with server compatibility.',
    1 => 'Please see this KB article: http://www.s2member.com/kb/server-scanner/. We suggest that you run the s2Member® Server Scanner.',
    2 => 'array (
  \'s2member_paypal_notify\' => \'1\',
)',
  ),
)
Posted: Thursday Aug 1st, 2013 at 2:34 pm #54629

Good. So that means logging is still enabled, and that s2Member’s IPN handler is still working properly. It’s OK to see that error, because of the way you tested this (e.g. it’s to be expected).

You mentioned before that you are using this Shortcode.

[s2Member-PayPal-Button level="1" ccaps="" desc="Individual 1 year membership / $35" ps="paypal" lc="" cc="USD" dg="0" ns="1" custom="www.giftedpage.org" ta="0" tp="0" tt="D" ra="35." rp="1" rt="Y" rr="BN" rrt="" rra="1" image="default" output="button" /]

Can you please confirm that your PayPal.com account still has the IPN service enabled there also? See: PayPal.com -› My Account -› Profile -› Instant Payment Notification (IPN). If it is, I would look at your IPN History page (here is the link: https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_display-ipns-history); and see if there have been any problems reported by PayPal there.

Posted: Thursday Aug 1st, 2013 at 2:44 pm #54636
lisa carr

hi Mike

ok, so i checked paypal and IPN is enabled. Also i checked the history for the past 28 days and they all have “sent”. no problems that i see (although i don’t necessarily know what it look for ;-)

i uploaded the S2 server scanner and the only thing that came up as an “error” was: [NOTICE] WordPress® Memory Limit – it said to set at least 64M – mine is at 40.

Posted: Thursday Aug 1st, 2013 at 2:47 pm #54638

i uploaded the S2 server scanner and the only thing that came up as an “error” was: [NOTICE] WordPress® Memory Limit – it said to set at least 64M – mine is at 40.

Oh, excellent work in finding that! Be sure to update this in your /wp-config.php file. See: http://codex.wordpress.org/Editing_wp-config.php#Increasing_memory_allocated_to_PHP

This could be the solution that fixes things for you. I would take a look at your PHP error log (or ask your hosting company about this) and see if there have been cases where your WP installation ran out of memory. If so, this could explain the lack of log entries from s2Member®. It could also fix some other problems.

Posted: Thursday Aug 1st, 2013 at 2:53 pm #54641
lisa carr

i will try that Mike – thanks!

I see that S2 needs to update in my WP installation ….. Is there a “proper” way of doing this?

Posted: Thursday Aug 1st, 2013 at 3:06 pm #54646

Upgrade instructions are provided here:
http://www.s2member.com/pro/#!s2_tab_jump=s2-pro-install-update

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

This topic is closed to new replies. Topics with no replies for 2 weeks are closed automatically.

Old Forums (READ-ONLY): The community now lives at WP Sharks™. If you have an s2Member® Pro question, please use our new Support System.

Contacting s2Member: Please use our Support Center for bug reports, pre-sale questions & technical assistance.